Does Pow() create excessive proseccor drain?

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I was making an ability that doubles every level and I though the easiest way was to use exponents.
I ended up with a damage function that I posted below.
This trigger activates on attack and has 15 possible levels. My question is is it ok to keep it as an exponent function to calculate each time or do I have to create an array to hold the values for each lvl and reference those to save on computer resources.

Does anyone know how the processor load of a calculation like 2048*1.05^15+100*2^15 compares to creating and destroying a special effect?
Code:
function gtson takes nothing returns boolean
    return UnitHasBuffBJ(GetAttacker(),'B013')
endfunction

function getsu_slash takes nothing returns nothing
local integer gbl
call TriggerSleepAction(0.1)
if gtson() then
    set fint1=rcount(GetAttacker())
    set gbl=GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetAttacker(),'A0VI')
    if(GetRandomInt(1,10)<=3+fint1)then
        set tp1=GetUnitLoc(GetAttackedUnitBJ())
        set dx=(I2R(GetHeroStr(GetAttacker()*gbl))*Pow(1.05,gbl)+125*Pow(2.,gbl))*ab1(GetAttacker())/2.
        call hitaoe(GetAttacker())
        call UnitDamageTargetBJ(GetAttacker(),GetAttackedUnitBJ(),dx,ATTACK_TYPE_NORMAL,DAMAGE_TYPE_MAGIC)
        call DestroyEffect(AddSpecialEffectLocBJ(tp1,"Abilities\\Spells\\Orc\\FeralSpirit\\feralspirittarget.mdl"))
        call DestroyEffect(AddSpecialEffectLocBJ(tp1,"Abilities\\Weapons\\PhoenixMissile\\Phoenix_Missile_mini.mdl"))
        call RemoveLocation (tp1)
    endif
...other stuff here
endfunction

Thank you for the assistance

P.S. how do I fix the spelling in my title? (not sure how to edit it)

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Maths operation in War3 is quite slow.
In another way to make the spell work, you can make an integer array, store the data up in initialization function. When the spell is cast, simply use the data in array. It consumes more memory but less hogging to available raw power.

afisakov

Reaction score
Maths operation in War3 is quite slow.
In another way to make the spell work, you can make an integer array, store the data up in initialization function. When the spell is cast, simply use the data in array. It consumes more memory but less hogging to available raw power.

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the response though.

dracolich

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
not so bad. default operators - + / * works fine, but Pow - its recursive function (loop). and since function call takes much more time, and also looping is pretty slow, using inline constructions would make it better.
just like:
if lvl==2 then
set dmg=str*str
elseif lvl==3 then
set dmg=str*str*str

but remember that excessive if-else-endif also takes time. need a check to get where they would equal in time spending.

afisakov

Reaction score
What I ultimately went with is this:
Code:
set gbl=GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetAttacker(),'A0VI')
set dx=(I2R(GetHeroStr(GetAttacker(),true)*gbl)*getbarS[gbl]+getbarF[gbl])/2.

function Getbarreals takes nothing returns nothing (runs on init)
local integer loop1=0
loop
set loop1=loop1+1
set getbarS[loop1]=0.75*Pow(1.04,loop1)
set getbarF[loop1]=250.*Pow(2.,loop1)
exitwhen loop1>15
endloop
endfunction
I figure this way I can save the formula as real numbers and then just call a real, hopefully that is fastest way to do it, even if it takes a bit more programming to write.
I assume the drain from loops is negligible if it only has to run them once.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
not so bad. default operators - + / * works fine, but Pow - its recursive function (loop).

you realize computers also do multiplication and division via loops, right? and if you get down to it, even addition/subtraction ends up being a loop process

Imp Midna

Reaction score
at least that 'loop' would have O(1), not the O(log(n)) of pow, so i wouldn't actually call that a loop imao

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
at least that 'loop' would have O(1), not the O(log(n)) of pow, so i wouldn't actually call that a loop imao

It's not uncommon to consider this loop to be O(n) for a number represented by n bits.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
The real problem on your script is not the pow usage, it's your use of BJs.
Anyway, I remember having read on wc3c.net that pow is worthwhile to use if the exponent is greater than 2.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.