Does Windows Me have a maximum hard drive capacity?

U

Unregistered

Hey all, sorry I didn't register. But anyways...

Does Windows Me have a maximum hard drive amount you can have? I heard that it was around 120 or 128 GB. And according to some guy on EBay...

Windows 95 B.98 (8.5gb-32gb)
Windows 98SE/ME (UP TO 64GB)
Windows NT/2000/XP (UP TO 128GB)
Apple, Linux, UNIX (UP TO 138GB)
Pentium II(equivalent or higher)

I'm not sure if any of his information was correct. Please help me out! Also, I heard that Windows XP has a max of 200 GB. I definitely need some clarification...

Thanks,
--HBayani

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HBayani

Purpose

Well, this time I registered. But I forgot to say why I was asking about that question. I currently have a 60 GB IEDE hard drive in my Gateway Select.

IBM
Capacity: 61,460,676,608 bytes (58,644 MB, 57.2 GB)

Well, I was wondering if I could get another 60 GB hard drive, and if it would work as a slave drive, for a total of around 120 GB? Thanks for the help!

--HBayani

U

Unregistered

Windows ME uses FAT32 (like windows 98, and windows 95 OSR2). FAT32's maximum capacity is 2 terabyte (so my windows 98 installation can live on for many years to come!). Windows XP will only create/format up to a 32 gigabyte FAT32 partition, but it will be able to read larger ones. Linux/Unix run on a plethora of different filesystems, although linux will generally run on Ext2 FS by default.

-- Magickian, because I'm too lazy to login

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes... and since they are on separate physical drives in your case, it will be fine anyway.

You will of course end up with two drives (C: and D: of 60gb each... or you could partition them into more drives (your existing C: and then a D and E drive of 30gb each, for example)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... and since they are on separate physical drives in your case, it will be fine anyway.

You will of course end up with two drives (C: and D: of 60gb each... or you could partition them into more drives (your existing C: and then a D and E drive of 30gb each, for example)

Whatever happened with your Rapmaster? Last time I heard you were a Microsoft MVP what are you up to now I wonder....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.