[DotA Spell] PotM Elune's Arrow

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the arrow is a dummy unit. All the trigger does is calculate how far it is from the caster position, and detects when it comes into a close enough range with an enemy unit. Then it deals damage, and stuns for a duration depending on how far it has travelled from the caster's position.

Now you just have to make it..

MuZu

Reaction score
I already have made a dummy unit (the arrow) but now the problem is How do the TRIGGER?

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
I wanna know how they do the stun..
If its dependant on the distance between the caster and the place it gets hit, how many stormbolts did they use... =="?

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
I wanna know how they do the stun..
If its dependant on the distance between the caster and the place it gets hit, how many stormbolts did they use... =="?

IceFrog wouldn't have bothered to use more than 10 storm bolts, as it stuns for about 5 seconds max after the dummy is as far away as it can get before the dummy is ordered to cast a 5 sec storm bolt. That gives a storm bolt that can be cast every 0.5 seconds, that adds 0.5 seconds to the storm bolt's stun duration. If you know what I mean. So basically after 0.5 seconds, it will register the dummy to cast a 0.5 second stunning storm bolt, then after 1 second, a 1 second storm bolt, 1.5, 1.5 seconds... and so on.

I can't even remember if it stuns for 5 seconds max or not :nuts:

T

the.Diabolic

IceFrog wouldn't have bothered to use more than 10 storm bolts, as it stuns for about 5 seconds max after the dummy is as far away as it can get before the dummy is ordered to cast a 5 sec storm bolt. That gives a storm bolt that can be cast every 0.5 seconds, that adds 0.5 seconds to the storm bolt's stun duration. If you know what I mean. So basically after 0.5 seconds, it will register the dummy to cast a 0.5 second stunning storm bolt, then after 1 second, a 1 second storm bolt, 1.5, 1.5 seconds... and so on.

I can't even remember if it stuns for 5 seconds max or not :nuts:
Yes maximum duration for stun is 5 secs. I have two theories about stun durations.

When the ability casted, arrow projectile moves for 2000 units forward distance per It stuns +0.5sec for per 200 unit.

or

It just calculates the arrow how long will be stayed at projectile state and it will be deal stun + damage based on time difference. I think thats more easier way to do the spell.

If the spell casted in minimum range It just ministuns the target. The arrow damage also dealt by the dummy unit's storm bolt.

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
I think it saves the beginning loc. and when it "hits" someone it just checks the distance. After that it spawns dummy unit with Storm Bolt with 10 lvls (cast it from very long range to a creep and you will see that the buff is 10th lvl)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the spell actually does? Hard to guess from your posts... :rolleyes:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Alright, here's how the spell works:

You cast it towards a direction, and a blue arrow shoots out that way. It travels REALLY far (2000) until it either hits something or else it just dies away. If it hits someone, it stuns and deals damage. The stun length is according to how far away the person is from the caster (.5 seconds if right next to the caster, 5 if its the farthest possible length away).

A really ingenious spell, imo, I see why you want to copy it.

Try making a loop so that if someone gets hit by it, it does:

Cast storm bolt (.5 sec stun)
wait 500 milliseconds
For A = 1 to 10
If length > A * 200
Then cast storm bolt antoher .5 sec stun
wait 500 milliseconds
Next A

NOTE: That's just the basic idea. Make sure you find the length between the caster and the hit unit.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Wow. I like this spell, might use it myself :p
Well if you think you wouldn't have problems making the dummy move and all then the stun part is rather simple. Cast storm bolt with 0 duration (infinite) and start a timer (or use a wait) for the time you want it to last. Then just remove the buff.

MuZu

Reaction score
Next time if you dont know anything about dota hero/spell =
go to dota-allstars.com

Elune's Arrow

Fires an arrow to a location with deadly precision, dealing large damage and stunning the first unit it strikes. Stun duration increases based on how far the target is, ranging from 0.5 to 5 seconds.

Level 1 - Deals 90 damage.
Level 2 - Deals 180 damage.
Level 3 - Deals 270 damage.
Level 4 - Deals 360 damage.

Ok forget about the stun. Just see below i base the spell on Shockwave:

E: A unt begins casting an ability
C: Ability being cast = Elune's Arrow
Action: PUt what here?

And then create a new trigger where unit comes within the arrow and will die:

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
Considering that your arrow is a non-homing missile (does not follow target), it must be fully triggered. You cannot just rely on shockwave or any other spell (as they all use homing missiles). You need to create the arrow yourself (as an unit) and move it manually. You can use Vexorian's system for missiles to do this for you, I think.

As for the stunning duration, that's pathetically simple. You can just make an endless stun and simply remove the buff (specific probably for the spell) after a period of time. That's piece of cake. And there is such a system too on wc3campaigns.net.

~Daelin

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Next time if you dont know anything about dota hero/spell
Well I don't really care to learn, you are the one that should explain the spell if you intend to get help.

MuZu

Reaction score
nono i set the ShockWave damage to 0 and the Shockwave buff/Effect i had already removed. So it will just create a dummy unit and order the dummy unit to move like 100 away. Get it? But i dont know how:confused:

> Next time if you dont know anything about dota hero/spell
Well I don't really care to learn, you are the one that should explain the spell if you intend to get help.

YES SIR!

=========================================

[/URL
I cant find the arrow that i want. Do i need variables? And i want the arrow have a AOE of 100. So how much do i need to set for the ''a unit come withih ___ ''?

c-series

Reaction score
I cant find the arrow that i want. Do i need variables? And i want the arrow have a AOE of 100. So how much do i need to set for the ''a unit come withih ___ ''?

i guess it close to this

italic = variable

Code:
Trigger without title
    Events
        Time - Every 0.20 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set [I]Temp_Arrow_Loc[/I] = (Position Elune_arrow)
        Custom script:   set bj_WantDestroyGroup = true
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 100.00 of [I]Temp_Arrow_Loc[/I] matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of ([I]<insert hero that cast here>[/I]))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) is alive) Equal to True " edit put in matching 
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Cause [I]Elune_arrow[/I] to damage (Picked unit), dealing (90.00 x (Real((Level of Elune Arrow for ([I]<insert hero that cast here>[/I])))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                        Unit - Kill ([I]Elune_arrow[/I])
                        [I]The stun duration and yaba daba da also here i think[/I]
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing
        Custom script:   call RemoveLoc(Udg_Temp_Arrow_Loc)

*listening to music "you know my name"*:D

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Wow. I like this spell, might use it myself :p
Well if you think you wouldn't have problems making the dummy move and all then the stun part is rather simple. Cast storm bolt with 0 duration (infinite) and start a timer (or use a wait) for the time you want it to last. Then just remove the buff.

That sounds very smart...best way so far for the stun..

D

Dramarian

I modified the Elune's Arrow to be more of a point blank shot.

What I have is an arrow that shoots form the caster, its a dummy unit with the model of an arrow. It has no collision and flies, so it doesn't bump into anything.

The closer the target is to the origin of the spell the more damage it does. The further away the target it to the origin the longer it becomes stunned. You can deal approx 400 damage from point blank range (about 25 or so) and approx 10 damage from 1500 range. You can stun for .5 seconds from point blank range and 5 seconds from 1500 range.

If anyone wants to see the code for this let me know, its quite simple.

S

Scourgey

Ok, here's a nicer way to do the stun, you guys have already done the damage.

Have a hero stun skill with multiple levels, this skill does no damage, but each level increase gives a 0.5 stun duration.

Set the hero ability (i.e. the stun duration) on the dummy unit to be whatever value you want, then use it on the target.

It doesn't require messing around with 1 stun being cast after another or any trigger waits or conflict with any other stuns by removing the buff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.