Melee Downshift - Competitive RTS Mod - need experienced editor-operator(s)

B

BaronCid

Hi!
I recently designed the first concept for a WC3(tft)-mod called Downshift.
Downshift is no funmap, it attempts to be a competitve, strategically deep mod that is really easy to learn and understand but hard to master. (unlike most known RTSes that are hard to truly learn and also hard to master)

Downshift doesn't require any additional graphics, it can use given assets from the editor, so I just need an experienced editor-user who I can work with.
I myself am not really good at using wc3edit and I think that I need someone rather experienced who can judge what is possible to pull off and what not. (and who can also realize that, of course)
The mod doesn't need any crazy cutscene-/trigger-/camera-work so... well... I consider it being less time-consuming to build for good editor-operators. (unlike... say... big RPG-maps)

I wrote down basic explanations and concepts (and the basic practical concepts for a first alpha version) into a design document (v0.1). You can read it here if you are interested in the project/ want to know what it is really about:
http://www.archive.org/download/Down...hiftDdv0.1.pdf

My job in the project would of course be the design work: writing pages over pages of design-documents, tables, spread-sheets and what else can assist the editor-operator in building the mod. Wondering how to get the game balanced, organizing playtesting and all that.I'm not some guy wanting to surpress hard working editor-operators.
I would of course also be open for any discussion with my team-member(s) if they have ideas concerning the design, balancing and so on!
I really want to make this a team-thing. :D

So... I hope you guys are interested and the production can start soon. :) I really anticipate playing the mod myself, to be honest.

Happy New Year, BaronCid

B

BaronCid

Thread name changed - I assume you don't want to turn people off the map by calling it Downshit

Oh sorry, I guess I was quite tired when typing this thread... so excuse me. And thanks a lot for correcting my typo. :banghead:

I don't think anyone will want to play a map that's not fun...
That was quite a sharp thought you had there, sir.
Anyway, with funmap I refer to Tower-Defense, Hero-Wars, Naruto-Maul and all that.
With non-fun I mean actual games like Warcraft3, StarCraft and so on. Games that are fun because they require strategy and not because they are funny.

Again, sorry for that typo,
BaronCid

Charapanga

Reaction score
Tower defense, hero wars, naruto maul and all that still requires alot of strategy mate...
no offense but really if the map is gonna be super complicated and like 2 billion clicks a minute...nobody is gonna play it..

though the idea is pretty good though...Looking forward to it

>...I just need an experienced editor-user who I can work with.

I am a well experienced editor-user and i'd be happy to help you out

B

BaronCid

Tower defense, hero wars, naruto maul and all that still requires alot of strategy mate...

Yeah, sorry, sure. I don't doubt that. My bad. I just think that the original WarCraft3 and StarCraft are more about the actual strats and skill than those games but well, that doesn't even matter that much because I am sure you can play Mauls and all that on a really high skill level, I guess you understand my point, though.

no offense but really if the map is gonna be super complicated and like 2 billion clicks a minute...nobody is gonna play it..
How do you mean that exactly? Can you explain a bit more?

I am a well experienced editor-user and i'd be happy to help you out

great, so would you like to start the projekt with me then?

Thanks, BaronCid

wc3shady

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you want someone else to do the work.

Although you have all the right ideas when it comes to the design, it seems, you need to understand that if you actually want to make a game you have to play a part besides planning.

Charapanga

Reaction score
>great, so would you like to start the projekt with me then?

umm sure...?
You got any kind of communication system like MSN?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well, BaronCid, seems that you are not going to do anywork with the WE... just tell the map maker what to do. I am also working on an altered melee map,(it is not called a modification, it is called an altered melee map in this case) witch will focus on maiking the battles moore intense and effective. Tell me in deteails what you want to add/change so i can see if I want to join. Btw the link to your ideas doesn't work...

B

BaronCid

It sounds to me like you want someone else to do the work.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't want to "use" anyone.

Although you have all the right ideas when it comes to the design, it seems, you need to understand that if you actually want to make a game you have to play a part besides planning.

Yeah, sure! I've already done various projects and I'm aware of the fact that I absolutely have to assist the technical members as much as I can.
I'm not just doing the planning, I am also willing to do the actual designing which isn't just eating cake:
I have to (and will) work out and fully document features, unit-tables, and so on.
I can actually operate the editor for a bit but just when it comes to terrain and basic things. What I am searching for is someone who knows how to work with the object/unit/building-editors and all that because it seems to be a pretty complex skill I have not yet acquired. Well, you could tell me to go acquire that knwoledge myself but that would take a lot of work and time just for that one project. I see that there are guys out there already experienced enough to do the complicated stuff for me and that's why I search. I don't do it because I'm lazy, I just think that it is easier if someone who already knows the editor well does that without loosing much time as I would while trying to learn all the tricks and secrets there are.

I actually have some skills when it comes to music production (what I also tend to do in game-projects) but I don't think it is needed now, since WC3 already features good scores.

If there is something I could do in addition to design and basic editor-work-tasks, I am open for that!

BaronCid

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
(sorry for the double-post, just wanted to add this quick after seeing your other 2 replies)

Yeah, I got ICQ, I can send you my number per PM.

Really? Oh crap, didn't even notice... here is the real link:
http://www.archive.org/download/DownshiftDesignDocumentV0.1/DownshiftDdv0.1.pdf

sorry about that....

BaronCid

Count me in. I am pretty handy with the object editor, a not so good Triggerer and terrener. However, knowing that the style is altered melee(I used to be one of the top melee players in my country before i retired) I am pretty sure I can do most of the GUI triggers.SO lets pu it like that:
Things I am good at and can do:
•Object Editing
•GUI triggers but, not evrything
• Balance
• Thinking up of new units
• Hosting
• Really baisic terrein
Things I can't do:
•Jass and Advanced GUI Triggers(athough I am getting verry good with GUI)
•Terrening
•Working on this non-stop

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.