Dungeon Raid!

_Deimos

Reaction score
Tired of games that make you work for three hours to get to the cool stuff?

Love co-operative gameplay?

Have only ten minutes to game with your buddies?

Try...
Dungeon Raid
"Screw the backstory, let's get some action!"

No link yet, sorry. But soon, I'll post the playtesting map here, for anybody interested.
Project Background:
I really dislike games with long, pretentious storylines, especially when I'm playing them on Warcraft 3. And especially especially when the author can't spell, and still thinks that a good vs evil storyline featuring a mopey antihero is cool stuff. I like games because they let me do things, not because I get to read for half an hour while a failed writer spews fanfiction at me.

So I decided to do the complete opposite. You start as a hero of one of various classes, and then you go to the Boss Room of a dungeon. And then you slay the Boss and his minions. When you win, there'll be a Dark-Deeds style code that you can keep putting in to get better and better junk. Or maybe not. Maybe it'll be replayable because there's random bosses and you're playing with your buddies and trying out new strategies.

That's what I like in my games- I keep playing them because they're fun for half an hour or more, not because the half an hour of fun is stretched, WoW-style, across 12 hours of gameplay. See, I'm the kind of guy who wants to be able to jump into a game and have a blast right away, without segmenting half of my life away. For example, look at the very fun League of Legends. It's a playable DotA, with interesting heroes and a good (gasp) community. You can hop in and start playing, because the goal is clear, the abilities are clear, everything's clear and easy to grok. But there's such strategic depth! Games should be more like Go and less like Call of Duty; simple and clear rules, with emergent gameplay rather than heavy-handed scripting.

But I digress.

Did I mention that it'll be almost impossible to win? 'Cause it will be. Like raids are supposed to be (in Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, or whatever other game), victory should be due to player skill and ingenuity, not some boring Skinner-Boxian roulette experiment.

But enough ranting. I'll let the proof be in the pudding.

Screenshot:
To Be Added...

Sample Hero:

Wants and Needs:
*Hero Ideas (The more, the merrier)
*Boss Ideas (Can't get enough)
*Ideas in General (Creativity is good)

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Not too original, but a boss that makes mirror images of the players might be a fun twist.

Razalgrim

Reaction score
Games should be more like Go and less like Call of Duty; simple and clear rules, with emergent gameplay rather than heavy-handed scripting.

This. No complicated systems, no patterns to be memorized, no memorizing OVER 9000!!1!one! recipe ingredients.

I hope you finish this project. We definitely need more maps like this.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
so in other words its going to play like any other Orpg on wc3?
what i would suggest would be something along the lines of impossible bosses (the reason why people fail at it is not because their items are crap but because they dont know the boss attacks, but once you know them itll be like megaman and will be fun, perfect for a group of friends that like co op play)

why impossible bosses? because you seem to make a big deal out of the boss as its dungen then boss room and not just dungen

also, you speak of getting better gear which leads me to ask..... is this going to be another stat comparison game? what i mean by that is basically who has the higher stat win and theres little to no strategy involved (like pokemon where something thats 20+ level higher then you can ohko your entire party without you doing a single point of damage to it because his stats are higher)

Razalgrim

Reaction score
so in other words its going to play like any other Orpg on wc3?

Uh...

what i would suggest would be something along the lines of impossible bosses (the reason why people fail at it is not because their items are crap but because they dont know the boss attacks, but once you know them itll be like megaman and will be fun, perfect for a group of friends that like co op play)

The way I read it, it IS gonna be like Impossible Bosses. You pop in, pick a hero, fight a randomized boss, get phat lewtz, save your code... and you're done. I don't think it's gonna be an ORPG at all.

also, you speak of getting better gear which leads me to ask..... is this going to be another stat comparison game? what i mean by that is basically who has the higher stat win and theres little to no strategy involved (like pokemon where something thats 20+ level higher then you can ohko your entire party without you doing a single point of damage to it because his stats are higher)

Sure hope not.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
most orpgs use the simple default battle system
most orpgs do not have boss spell patterns

he dosent want heavy handed scripting
which means that there are no attack patterns
no custom combat system
no AI for the boss to use skills

therefore im asking if it is going to be like any other orpg because those aspects matches up

Sarj14

Reaction score
I can help you with all the ideas for boss spells/models - Hero spells/models and all the other ideas. Just PM me for assistance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.