Environment Dutch paving stones clean air pollution

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A Dutch University will see if chemically tricked-out paving stones can clean the air.

The University of Twente (UT) has devised a concrete capable of converting the nitrogen oxide from car exhaust--the source of smog and acid rain--into a nitrate, another chemical that will wash away in the rain.

When fertilizers are applied heavily, high levels of nitrates can enter the soil or water and be toxic to humans or livestock. The University of Twente said that the nitrate production from its paving stones will be "harmless."

The researchers came up with the air-purifying paving stones by tapping the properties of titanium dioxide, a chemical that catalyzes chemical reactions when exposed to light.

Want to know more?

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
How are they making nitrates harmless?

Also, according to this article which the first article links too: "The street will be divided into two sections, one half will be paved with conventional stones and the other half with air-purifying ones. The air quality will then be measured in each section to test the effectiveness of the stones." I guess they are planning on repainting the yellow dashes as yellow lines so the pollution knows not to cross the road?

Someone screwed up an interview methinks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.