e^(i x pi) = -1

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. That is indeed true, though I have never seen the proof for it. Which would be interesting.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
what?? I is -1 square rooted, and that isnt a real number.

EXACTLY. An irrational number raised to another irrational number multiplied by an imaginary number equals a negative integer. Preposterous. But correct.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
It's actually quite simple if you understand taylor series. This is, I think, the most comprehensible proof of Euler's Formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x), which is why the thread title statement is true.

I'll summarize the proof on this page as well to perhaps keep page toggling down if anyone is interested, note though that the important part is at the bottom of the post:

The taylor series for e^x is:
e^x=1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + (x^4)/4! + ... (x^n)/n!

Now plug in ix to x to get the taylor series for e^(ix):
e^(ix)=1 + ix + ((ix)^2)/2! + ((ix)^3)/3! + ((ix)^4)/4! + ....

Apply the power to the i to bring it out:
e^(ix)=1 + ix - (x^2)/2! - i(x^3)/3! + (x^4)/4! + i(x^5)/5! - (x^6)/6! + ...

Note that if you group the terms with i together and those without i together and them factor out the i from the group with the i's in it...
e^(ix)=(1 - (x^2)/x! + (x^4)/4! - (x^6)/6! + ...) + i(x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...)

...You wind up with the red being the taylor series for cosine and blue being the taylor series for sine. Thus, you can justify replacing the series with the functions themselves, giving Euler's Formula:

e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)

//=========================

So we now have the formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x).
Now, we're looking for the value of e^(ix) when x is pi, thus e^(i*pi). Well, plug in pi for x to get:
e^(i*pi)=cos(pi)+i*sin(pi)
e^(i*pi)=-1 + i*0
e^(i*pi)=-1

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Somebody saw the Simpsons... :p

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
It was in a simpsons ep? My math teacher told me about it...

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
It's actually quite simple if you understand taylor series. This is, I think, the most comprehensible proof of Euler's Formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x), which is why the thread title statement is true.

I'll summarize the proof on this page as well to perhaps keep page toggling down if anyone is interested, note though that the important part is at the bottom of the post:

The taylor series for e^x is:

Now plug in ix to x to get the taylor series for e^(ix):
e^(ix)=1 + ix + ((ix)^2)/2! + ((ix)^3)/3! + ((ix)^4)/4! + ....

Apply the power to the i to bring it out:
e^(ix)=1 + ix - (x^2)/2! - i(x^3)/3! + (x^4)/4! + i(x^5)/5! - (x^6)/6! + ...

Note that if you group the terms with i together and those without i together and them factor out the i from the group with the i's in it...
e^(ix)=(1 - (x^2)/x! + (x^4)/4! - (x^6)/6! + ...) + i(x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...)

...You wind up with the red being the taylor series for cosine and blue being the taylor series for sine. Thus, you can justify replacing the series with the functions themselves, giving Euler's Formula:

e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)

//=========================

So we now have the formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x).
Now, we're looking for the value of e^(ix) when x is pi, thus e^(i*pi). Well, plug in pi for x to get:
e^(i*pi)=cos(pi)+i*sin(pi)
e^(i*pi)=-1 + i*0
e^(i*pi)=-1

MY BRAIN HURTS AFTER READING THAT. :banghead:
Seriously though. I can't even begin to understand that.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, well. :p

When you are in higher math for a while, you begin to understand. I managed to understand what the deal was without even reading it fully. :p That doesn't mean I could necessarily replicate the proof, but I know what it is doing.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Someone told me about this while we were caroling. I just felt like sharing. :p

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I have no idea what are the Taylor's series, but, considering

true from the beginning (because I have no knowledge of Taylor's series :p), it's pretty easy to understand the demonstration.

And honest to be, it's not that amazing to me, I mean i is from the beginning a weird number, if you think about it. Heck, it doesn't even exists, it's imaginary. Raising numbers to an imaginary power should result in some pretty weird shit xD.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.