Gaming EA’s ability to enrage its own customers is a rare talent

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
For the past two years, Electronic Arts has been named the “Worst Company in America” by Consumerist readers… and it stands a damn good chance of winning the award again this year. Every time this happens, it sparks a round of self-righteous, finger-wagging lectures about how EA doesn’t deserve to be named America’s worst company since it hasn’t, say, caused a calamitous environmental disaster or aided and abetted massive financial fraud. But while it’s literally true that EA’s alleged crimes against consumers aren’t on par with those of BP or JPMorgan, it also undersells EA’s remarkable achievement: That is, it’s managed to make people incredibly angry by selling them video games.

I mean, really think about that. Video games are a form of fun entertainment that are designed to give us a thrilling sense of escapism from our daily lives. The fact that a video game developer could treat its customers so poorly that they’d flock en masse to name it America’s worst is impressive no matter which way you slice it. I’m trying to imagine a craft brewery or a nightclub eliciting similar hatred from customers and I just can’t see it.

The latest EA controversy, in case you haven’t been following, has been the recent release of classic game Dungeon Keeper for mobile devices. While the game is billed as “free-to-play,” many gamers have complained that it is essentially unplayable unless you make several in-app purchases.

Read more here.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
It's probably cheaper for EA to continue it's course than to try and actually polish up their public image.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not like they are actually the worst. People just LOVE to hate somebody. They always want to simply find someone who they can put all the blame on.
EA is the scapegoat for todays gamers. They are the personification of all that is evil in todays gaming markets. Yes sure, they actually contribute to the decay of the gaming industry but they are by no means the worst of the bunch. (still really bad though)

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Its not like they are actually the worst. People just LOVE to hate somebody. They always want to simply find someone who they can put all the blame on.
EA is the scapegoat for todays gamers. They are the personification of all that is evil in todays gaming markets. Yes sure, they actually contribute to the decay of the gaming industry but they are by no means the worst of the bunch. (still really bad though)

Well, what company would you hate on? Indie developers? Get real.
They suck, cause they publish games that arn't ready yet, to either refresh their budget to actually finish the game, or to make money off of Titles that would be bought by Fanboys nonetheless.
And to be honest, I don't see why they ALWAYS demand people buy the DLCs, when the addition of DLCs are the missing fragments of the game that should've been ready by the time they release the games.

But then again, the amount of games they release per half semester is overwhelming. I don't know about you guys, but ever since such companys flush the Market with shit, I've become cautious and think it 10 times over before I buy a game.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
Man I love how butt hurt they get when they get the belt. hahahaha their statements are so great to read!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, what company would you hate on? Indie developers? Get real.
Of course it should be indie developers!
We all know that there are only those 2, right? I mean, have you ever heard of any other company that is making games?
I can seriously not think of even one...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I think we should just go back to blaming Obama.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.