===Earth Hour community poll===

Did you do your part?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
It's Just plain bullshit and that doesn't help anything.
And well.. we've already seen some effects of "fake global warming" :rolleyes:

If you are too ignorant to plain out change your lights because it doesnt do anything, then what makes you get into your car (waste energy) open the garage door (waste energy) drive to the store and use the automatic doors (waste energy) and stay in a store that keeps its lights on for like 8-10 hours a day (waste energy) and buy some bulbs, then come back.

---

Aside from that, it is to show that there are people on earth that care about what happens to it, and it comes as a message saying that, it is not hard to save the planet, all it takes is 1 hour

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Safe species thats a big NO.. but switch of a light, Thats okay?
Holy crap.

Zakyath

Reaction score
If you are too ignorant to plain out change your lights because it doesnt do anything, then what makes you get into your car (waste energy) open the garage door (waste energy) drive to the store and use the automatic doors (waste energy) and stay in a store that keeps its lights on for like 8-10 hours a day (waste energy) and buy some bulbs, then come back.

---

Aside from that, it is to show that there are people on earth that care about what happens to it, and it comes as a message saying that, it is not hard to save the planet, all it takes is 1 hour

I didn't turn my light off because I don't care. Well... no, I would care if I believed in it. I don't care because I think this is stupid and the world won't go under because of us. Not sometime soon.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
The symbolism is good.
But you won't really change anything so long humans are humans.
I do care, but unless something big happens that affects all people, we'll still be the same, lol.
"One step at a time..." is for one person. You'd need 6,811,193,012 steps together. Ha, I sound so cool saying that.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Not sometime soon.

This is why the world is currently fucked up, because of the people before us. Everyone always has the mindset "It's not going to happen in my lifetime, why should I care?", they don't even consider how it will effect people in future generations.

FireCat

Reaction score
First of all, it's our hard earned money that we pay the energy for.
So really there is no symbolism over to switch light off and give away it
Just like that.

and people in future, I am sure, they would pay moar then ever for the
energy. because of this So called "Earth Hour symbolism crap" Just like it was before the name change of the

"Global Warming technically is a scientifically incorrect phrase. Its called climate change"

Well, safe the world Switch of the lights.

So how many did Switch of the lights really? lol

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
What people won't consider is what if it's just another Age, like the Ice Age?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
So 2.2 million people turning their lights off for an hour doesn't do anything, eh?

He is actually correct there DDR, it does not matter how many people that turns of their lights the electricity is still produced. I would actually say that they are wasting electricity instead:nuts:
It is like having a factory produce chocolate bars and none buying:rolleyes:

The symbolism is beautiful, but they are doing it in a wasteful way:(
There just has to be another way to show that you care, like you DDR rides a bike instead of a car, that actually helps a little as you said mostly because you are using a smaller engine to move a smaller object than compared to a car:)

Edit: Btw, I for one hate this stupid thing. Every year my sister decides to participate and turns of the hallway and stairway lamps, when I come out of my room to walk down the stairs I don't see a thing and end up falling half the way down :(
Logically this would equal to: Lights out + Me almost die = Loss for nature.
It should be:
Lights on + Me die = Win for nature:p

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
FireCat: I don't want a debate here, but I think that denying the effects of global warming/climate change/whatever you want to call it is a very foolish and ignorant thing to be doing. It's up there with denying the holocaust and the moon landing.

Zakyath

Reaction score
>but I think that denying the effects of global warming/climate change/whatever you want to call it is a very foolish and ignorant thing to be doing. It's up there with denying the holocaust and the moon landing.

You don't sound like a genius yourself saying "those who doesn't think as I are idiots." Tell me why you think so, with all the lies from the UN lately, the cold, etc.

>This is why the world is currently fucked up, because of the people before us. Everyone always has the mindset "It's not going to happen in my lifetime, why should I care?", they don't even consider how it will effect people in future generations.

Oh, but I do care. But I don't think anything is going to happen in hundreds (or thousands) of years.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I like this idea very much, and I help out every year. I think that it isn't something that much for us to do, and it still saves valuable energy. Pergaps this thing should be made monthy or weekly...

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
and it still saves valuable energy.
Still wrong! It does not save any energy, the energy that should had been used for those lamps is still being produced, the only difference is that instead of going to those lamps it goes straight into the ground:(

It is similar to this example:
Say we have a factory that produce chocolate bars.
If the people where to stop eating the chocolate then they would just lie there and get old and thus wasted.

The same thing goes for electricity, if you have a power plant it will produce a certain amount of energy, if that energy is not used then it is downright wasted since the power plant can't regulate the power output for each and every house.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
He is actually correct there DDR, it does not matter how many people that turns of their lights the electricity is still produced. I would actually say that they are wasting electricity instead:nuts:

Still wrong! It does not save any energy, the energy that should had been used for those lamps is still being produced, the only difference is that instead of going to those lamps it goes straight into the ground:(

Dude, okay...

Yes, in this case, it is being "wasted" by the way you're explaining it. But if people would turn off lights while they're not using them, install "energy saving bulbs", get appliances that use far less energy, and just cut back on the amount of energy that their hosehold/work/whatever used, then electric companies would need to produce less energy, thus needing to use less resources, thus helping the world.

HOWEVER, they did the "turn off the lights" in this case, because it's easy to do. They could have done "Okay, at 8pm, everyone walk into the road and eat a muffin", it's still symbolism and it still gets people to start being interested in what they're doing this act of symbolism for and therefore have a chance to get people changing how they are and live, even if what they're doing to symbolize it is completely unrelated.

A prime example of this is the "If you complete 500 surveys, you get a free laptop!" things. The laptops have -nothing- to do with the surveys, but people want the laptops, so they look more into the surveys.

Really guys, how about you research a bit into symbolism, earth day, and this whole thing before assuming all the wrong things that have been brought up here. Not saying I'm completely right, but I'm sure as hell not as wrong as many of the concepts and points brought up here.

FireCat

Reaction score
I don't want a debate here, but I think that denying the effects of global warming/climate change/whatever you want to call it is a very foolish and ignorant thing to be doing.
Cant say it's Ignorant
Well, playing this stupid propaganda with bureaucrats, I tell you, it will cost us dearly in the future and I'm for real solutions,
If there's a real need for that, But not symbolic ones.
So witch are better "Real solutions Or symbolic ones" which one would you choose?
Btw: You can only choose one of them! :thup:

it's still symbolism and it still gets people to start being interested in what they're doing this act of symbolism
And next day It will be forgoten.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
@DDRtists: That low energy bulb crap again, I am so sick of hearing about that.
It does bring down your energy use a bit, they also have longer lifespan than normal bulbs and they are easier and cleaner to make as well.
The only thing they do for nature is bring down the amount of light bulbs being made.
Code:
It works somewhat like this:
Power plant output current = PoA
"Power customers" use = Cus
Power used per customer = let's say 40KA (A=Amps).
Power plant max output = let's say 10KA for this example.

If ((Cus*numCus)<PoA)
[
wasted_energi = PoA - (Cus*numCus)
]

If ((Cus*numCus)>=PoA)
[
build another powerplant
]
This is a really ruff "sketch" overlooking the relation between providers and receivers of the power industry.
This is not an exact explanation, it is just so that you may get the point.
If there is anything you don't understand with this simple sketch feel free to PM me about it.

Oh, perhaps now is the time to mention that I am an electrician and that if you want to continue this discussion please be that as well.

The whole concept with earth day is good, they have a great idea and I do not want to talk bad about it at all. They actually say that on the web page as well that the event has nothing at all to do with energy saving and if you understood my "sketch" you will now see why^^

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing my part. It's being forced to do my part which i hate.

All in all Earth hour was a bit nice. I like sketching in the candle light.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
It won't do much in terms of saving resources and protecting the environment, but it will help people to be more aware and think a little bit about how they live; which, if successful, will help significantly. I didn't know anything about this Earth hour until now, but I always recycle anything that can be, and I also use my green bags.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.