Ebay, and expieriences

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
How many members of TH are frequent ebay sellers or buyers or both? How many are not?

im currently trying to learn the game myself, i have so much to sell on ebay like my wii, pokemon cards, old records of bands such as the beatles (hard days night) etc etc.

so in this thread, post all your best and worst ebay expieriences. :p and what made them occur.:thup:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I never actually purchased or sold anything in there :thup:

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Note: please don't spam post.

I have had a few bad runs on ebay myself, not selling a item and being billed the cost of having a auction sucks.... im about ready to attempt to sell my wii but i am personally trying to learn the know hows to it.

but on ebay theres so much great stuff to be had, for example you can get alginate for 6 bucks a pound! if you don't know what that is its a material used to make molds of body parts like the face and linbs and chest.

but don't lean to much on selling specialty items in bundles, i tryd that with a pack of pokemon cards and that ordeal did not end up going so well.

you also have to remember to be as discriptive and as sweet as you can when selling something with your discritpions and item information.

anyone out there got any tips, or storys?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Well, I recently got started on Ebay (about 2 months ago) purely as a buyer. I remain so, pretty much exclusively to buy old Lego sets that are out of production.
As a fairly frequent buyer, I would say be wary of what the general price the item is going for in all auctions before you place a bid. If it's the only one on ebay at the time you might pay more than it's really worth, paticularly if it's an out-of-production item.

For example, one Lego set I recently got sold for £69 a few weeks ago. When I got it, I got it for £9 in an auction practically identical to the other, because there were multiple auctions from other sellers with the same item at the time. When it went for £69, it was the only one on ebay. Oh, and the product description is important too - it was a really great description on the £69 set.

I have only had one bad buying experience. The seller sold me a set he claimed was complete but had quite a few parts missing, including 3 out of 4 minifigs. I contacted him and he was happy to correct and refunded me 20%, which covered the costs of the replacement parts. The point? That even if you do have a problem with the item, contact the seller before starting a dispute (I know many people who just launch straight into that method) and you might get it resolved quickly and mutually.

I think I'm going to sell my ancient, useless-to-me guitar at some point. But postage will be a bitch and might put some off... and for a first time seller, I think it might be better to start small :)

Also to add to the list of wierd/awesome items to be found: Gunge Powder :D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to buy games from eBay a lot. Especially games that weren't in the UK yet.
As long as you buy from members (preferably powersellers) with 99+% positive rating, you should be fine.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I used to buy games from eBay a lot. Especially games that weren't in the UK yet.
As long as you buy from members (preferably powersellers) with 99+% positive rating, you should be fine.

/totally agree

I buy clothes from e-bay. Stuff that still has the tags, mind you :p. I am fairly new, but before I started buying I simply googled 'ebay tutorials' lol.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
One thing. you asked that so you did or not????

Dont say something about f*cking post count

lol, calm down there mr.cat, you can post a comment with texture and thought even withought having engaged in the act of what is being said. for example you could state you have not, the reason behind that, and or a question to those who have.

so again, please refrain from getting all heated up, and if you have any disputes you should bring them to the private messaging system.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Ebay is actually really simple.

Mostly from a buyer's perspective (I have sold on there too), just use common sense and don't go for items that are known to be counterfeited and especially be careful of products coming from China.

As a seller, it's all about earning reputation.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Ebay is actually really simple.

Mostly from a buyer's perspective (I have sold on there too), just use common sense and don't go for items that are known to be counterfeited and especially be careful of products coming from China.

As a seller, it's all about earning reputation.

see, everyones telling me, "start small", but i don't plan on being a seller on ebay or anything big, i just want to rid myself from a few specific items and i want to profit from them.... having said that i don't know if my wii would sell...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If someone steals your stuff check there.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
My mom has over 10k positive feedback on Ebay from selling stuff way back when ebay was first starting up, before they made the stores or any of the new features, when it was just an auction site. We use ebay quite a lot still, but only for buying stuff, the new selling agreements and stuff they've added ruined it on the selling end for us...

I buy A LOT of stuff off of ebay for myself, mostly for my motorcycle. I saved $160 on my pipe, $120 on my communication device, and $90 on my helmet. You just have to look at the sellers rep and rep comments and see what other people have said. Ebay is not just one person, so don't let one sellers mistakes or actions run you away from the site, it is a great site to save lots of money on things with.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Personally I would start with a lower starting bid, say $200. It might be more likely to attract bids than something with a really high starting bid, though if you don't think it would benefit then don't lower it. It is a very good lot and I would say you would probably get quite a lot for it. Your ad was quite good too.
One thing: people do tend to buy from people with higher feedback, and yours is 1. Especially for such a big item. Sell it and do it properly though, and it will pay off :)

Bear in mind I've never actually sold anything so you might consider my advice nonsense :D

Also, completely off-topic, but: are you a lefty on Guitar Hero?

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Also, completely off-topic, but: are you a lefty on Guitar Hero?

im a righty, but the guitar goes both left and right :p

and actually thats a lot of help!

i just wish some bids would occur :p

i just cant figure out how to get more bids! or push my item to the front of the listing!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You can't "push" the items to the front, you have to pay ( quite a bit ) to get them there when you list the item.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
You can't "push" the items to the front, you have to pay ( quite a bit ) to get them there when you list the item.

i can revise the listing still due to no bids.... but is it worth it? i mean..... i guess its a risk worth taking if your selling a big item.... but idk, is my discrption and everything good enough to not need it?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
i can revise the listing still due to no bids.... but is it worth it? i mean..... i guess its a risk worth taking if your selling a big item.... but idk, is my discrption and everything good enough to not need it?

The description, minus a few typos, is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.