World El Salvador's Bitcoin Boom: How the World's First Crypto Nation's Big Bet Is Stabilizing Its Economy, Proving Critics Wrong, and Paying Back Its Debt

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When El Salvador President Nayib Bukele made the controversial decision to make Bitcoin legal tender in his country, many people were skeptical and concerned about the potential risks.

Bukele announced on Twitter that the country would purchase one Bitcoin each day starting Nov. 18, 2022. How is that going in 2023? The latest news out of El Salvador suggests that the government's bet on cryptocurrency is paying off.

According to Treasury Minister Alejandro Zelaya, the government has successfully repaid one of two outstanding $800 million bonds. This move is likely to allay concerns about a potential default, which had grown amid the country's adoption of Bitcoin.

Zalaya announced the news via Twitter on Jan. 23, highlighting the government's commitment to meeting its debt obligations and proving the skeptics wrong. Bukele tweeted, “Well, we just paid in full 800 million dollars plus interest. But of course, almost no one is covering the story.”

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This might not be a reliable news source. It's not reported by other news outlets, and most of the article were reverberated by the same source which is a cryptocurrency news site.

Last edited:

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I checked bukele's twitter account and couldn't find this 800 million dollar tweet

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I see, I was somehow looking at news from around march 28 when the article is dated, and missed that they said the tweet is from January

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I had no problem finding other sources for this

I see. In that case, we should've used acceptable news outlet like Reuters and Associated Press instead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.