Element Tower Defense 4.4

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
It seems there is still a good base of players for the WC3 version of ETD. I certainly get more questions on it than the SC2 one. To this end, I have decided to provide an update for you guys.

Here I would really appreciate it if you guys could post changes you want to see. The last official version was 4.3b. Anything and everything is up for grabs so don't restrain yourself.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Copied from my email to the coder. Here are some new towers.

Quantum Beam (EL) - Each attack this tower makes spawns a blade of energy that
makes one full rotation. There should be two modes, fast and slow. Fast has a 1 second rotation
while slow takes 3 seconds (but does slightly more than 3x damage). The
player should be able to toggle the mode via abilities on the tower. The
radius of the blade should be 700. The width should be reasonable, I'm not
sure what at the moment.

Evaporate (FW) - Think of Echo Slam on the Tauren in DotA. Imagine a fan of
knives being cast centered on the tower. Then, each unit hit by that
original fan of knives will have a fan of knives cast centered on them. Of
course, we won't actually be using fan of knives spell.

Pressure (DNW) - This tower should allow the player to modify attack
speed/splash radius with two abilities. So you could make the tower attack
slower but gain a larger splash, and vice versa. There should be four
states to choose from (0.31, 0.66, 1, and 1.5 attack speed).

Phasing (ENW) - Every 3 seconds of attacking this tower loses 20% damage.
Maximum loss is 60%. This would not be based on number of attacks, only on
duration in seconds. Negative bonus resets after 3 seconds of not
attacking. Tower should have an ability that prevents it from attacking
for 3 seconds.

Erupt (EW) - This would basically be a slow moving non-homing projectile that
does epicenter like damage. There would be three different damage amounts
depending on if you are a small, medium, or large distance away from the
center of impact. This tower should also have an option to force it to
attack the same spot over and over, luckily WC3 has attack ground :).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I have played this game back in the days when it was new. Was quite some fun.
I want to be honest with you, those new tower ideas do not sound very good at all to me.

"Evaporate (FW)"
Thats just a different way to describe a bouncing attack.

"Pressure (DNW)"
So you either get the fast attacking tower without splash or the slow attacking tower with splash. Nothing new here but you can choose which to pick.
Well, i think it wont make any difference. You would pick the mode once and never touch it again.

"Phasing (ENW)"
If i remember correctly there already is a tower like this in the game. The tidal tower is pileing up mana which it can use for extremely high damage. But with slow mana regen and very limited capacity. Its basically the same in my opinion.

"Erupt (EW)"
Is the tower the projectile or does the tower fire projectiles?
Because a slow moving non homing projectile with AoE damage is nothing particulary new in wc3.

I am sorry if you take this as an offense but i am not really thrilled by those towers.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
I have played this game back in the days when it was new. Was quite some fun.
I want to be honest with you, those new tower ideas do not sound very good at all to me.

I am sorry if you take this as an offense but i am not really thrilled by those towers.

No offense taken. I appreciate your feedback.

FW - I don't think bouncing is a good way to describe this. It certainly doesn't feel anything like chain lightning in practice. This is much more an AoE than individual target tower.

DNW - Actually there are four modes to choose from, not two. SC2 experience tells me you'll find yourself changing modes more often than you think.

ENW - This tower doesn't "charge up" it "charges down." It also is not as simple as "wait for high damage and explode." Rather it requires you to figure out the best time to "reset" it or even better find a proper placement. You lose all damage output while it is resetting, and sometimes -60% damage is acceptable given the situation.

EW - It doesn't have to be particularly new to WC3. It just needs to be fun and unique to the game.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
FW - I dont think it makes a difference whether it bounces from all creeps or does a splash damage at all creeps because the effect will be the same at the end. It runs once through all creeps as long as any are close and damages them. If any creeps standing nearby are damaged as well its just higher damage. But the general idea behind it is the same.

DNW - What kind of modes are you changing in SC2?

ENW - So what is the difference? Both towers regenerate some kind of value slowly, both towers use this value for bonus damage, both towers lose that value after dealing said bonus damage and then they need to charge again. The difference is the cooldown and whether they start with full capacity or not?

EW - Arent there already plenty of AoE towers with simple splash missles in the game?

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
FW - I dont think it makes a difference whether it bounces from all creeps or does a splash damage at all creeps because the effect will be the same at the end. It runs once through all creeps as long as any are close and damages them. If any creeps standing nearby are damaged as well its just higher damage. But the general idea behind it is the same.

DNW - What kind of modes are you changing in SC2?

ENW - So what is the difference? Both towers regenerate some kind of value slowly, both towers use this value for bonus damage, both towers lose that value after dealing said bonus damage and then they need to charge again. The difference is the cooldown and whether they start with full capacity or not?

EW - Arent there already plenty of AoE towers with simple splash missles in the game?

FW - The general idea may or may not be the same. The important thing though is that in practice it feels different/used different than say Electricity (Chain Lightning).

DNW - I meant modes on the tower. 0.31 = no splash, 0.66 = small splash, 1 = medium splash, 1.5 = large splash.

ENW - Part of me thinks you are analyzing it too hard. Though one stark contrast is AoE vs Single Target. In practice it feels different/used different. The key to this tower is a two pass placement and the use of its ability to halt attack (and thus reset damage) at proper times. This depends on creep HP/position and you'll find sometimes it's worth not using at all. With Tidal, you place it in the middle for maximum AoE and timing the explosion is much simpler.

EW - No. You're probably thinking of something like Earth Tower where the missile is homing and moves fast. This tower will be the opposite and will also have an "epicenter" effect. What that means is you'll either need to place it properly as to not avoid useless attacks (it will certainly not hit the creep you targeted), or use the attack ground feature (which requires player attention otherwise you start attacking nothing).

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
i have an idea of how to spice up the DNW:

Sawed off shotgun tower: Adjustable tower that can have an inderectly varying scale of knockbacks/aoe, high aoe small knockback effect, small aoe, larger knockback effect

so the damage wouldnt really vary that much
and it could be on a cooldown ability so it wouldnt be super spammable

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
i have an idea of how to spice up the DNW:

Thank you for the idea. But, it doesn't need to be spiced up. It has proven a popular tower in SC2 and my own use indicates it is more than spicy enough.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
We are once again looking for a coder. Please post here or PM me if interested. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.