AoS Elemental Magisters!

burne-

Reaction score
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:06 pm Post subject: Elemental Magisters! Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
I dunno why I got this weird idea, but I decided to make dota style fast paced action minimap.

The Gameplay:
You get few elements in start that you can use as themselves of combine to differend spell. I havent yet decided how will you gain the elements or will you have every element at start of the game.

Pure ele spells (done):
Fire - Fire2 - Fire3
Water - Water2 - Water3
Earth - Earth2 - Earth3
Wind - Wind2 - Wind3

Two elemental spells:
Fire + Earth = Meteor - Meteor2
Fire + Water = Geysir - Geysir2
Fire + Wind = Wildfire - Wildfire2

Earth + Water = Mud Path - Mud path2
Earth + Wind = Shield of Destruction 1 - 2
Water + Wind = Drowning Maelstorm 1 - 2

Three elementals spells:

??????????

So the ??? = Havent gotten the idea, but most spells have already been done. Post your suggestions here if you got ideas. I havent decided yet If im going to even make three elemental spells, If I dot ill do them last.

As you can see from description Pure elemental spells have 1 level and Two elemental spells have 2 levels (that purely because the system im using).

The spells are done by charging element and it will combine to whatever you have charged before. Its kinda weird but I like to try new things out.

This will surely bring something unique to battle net and BETA will probly be done in 1-2 weeks.

Screen showing few spells and the difference between fire 1 - 3 and earth 1 - 3

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7aO1RXa6jQ

Attachments

• FFF.jpg
    FFF.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 277
  • FFF2.jpg
    FFF2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 316

captainrads

Reaction score
Elements seem to be a popular theme...if you need elemental ideas, you can go to wowwiki, that sites awesome. For Wind and Earth, how about sandstorm? As for Wind and Water...Thunderstorm?

EDIT: Shit damn, the video looks awesome...this looks like it might be really fun. If you don't have the elements hot keyed though, you should probably do that, it makes spellcasting a lot easier. Tell us more about the game though, like the play style and how the game works other than the spell casting.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool.

Earth + Wind = Sandstorm ya...
Water + Wind = Tsunami ( a big wave that pushes enemies away)

burne-

Reaction score
Elements seem to be a popular theme...if you need elemental ideas, you can go to wowwiki, that sites awesome. For Wind and Earth, how about sandstorm? As for Wind and Water...Thunderstorm?

EDIT: Shit damn, the video looks awesome...this looks like it might be really fun. If you don't have the elements hot keyed though, you should probably do that, it makes spellcasting a lot easier. Tell us more about the game though, like the play style and how the game works other than the spell casting.

Its not planned yet, It will be aos with very weird line system (might change it if it doesnt work). Well there isnt too much to tell about the map so far, Ill add few items which will make spell casting easier.

As for spellcasting there will be hotkeys and Im not sure how the cooldowns are going to go, cause Im not sure if ill keep that curent system or modify it. As you can see in the video, spells have short cooldown and you can make total of 16 spells curently from the 4 elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind. The spell will appear soon as you charge the element, Spell can be charged to differend levels too (pure elementals up to 3lvl and two elementals to 2lvl).
So curently the system would bring really fast paced action, since you only need one hotkey for the 16 spells and 4 hotkeys for charges. Im planning on controlling the spam of the spells by adding mana cost/rege to them. Stronger spells drain your mana so fast that you cant spam them, but weaker spells can be spammed almost without a break.

My friend is curently working on the terrain so after that few more triggers and its ready to test.

The Two and Pure elemental spells are done (if I wont add more elements). So you can post suggestiong for Three elemental spells and Ill do them if the spells idea is good.

captainrads

Reaction score
Yeah, mana is probably your best bet for controlling spell output, along with cooldowns. How about when stronger spells are cast, the cooldowns of the charges take longer. For the cooldowns themselves, you probably want to put all elements on the same timer so players can't use one spell after another by using different elements.

For the triples...how about this:
Earth, Fire, Water: Volcanic Eruption
Fire, Water, Wind: Tornado
Earth, Water, Wind: Ice Strike(Impale with Frost Nova?)
Earth, Fire, Wind: Fog (Chance to miss in an area/makes caster invisible)

Feels like I missed a combo...

burne-

Reaction score
Earth, Fire, Water: Volcanic Eruption - sounds boring
Fire, Water, Wind: Tornado - maybe, alltought kinda boring too
Earth, Water, Wind: Ice Strike(Impale with Frost Nova?) - extremely boring, non-innovative
Earth, Fire, Wind: Fog (Chance to miss in an area/makes caster invisible) - I dont see earth elemental being on this one

And If you want to suggest a spell, Describe it. Saying Volcano or Tornado makes me think about firelords and nagas ultimates. I really prefer Unique/innoative spells.....Making complex spells is not a problem, the ideas are.

captainrads

Reaction score
Earth, Fire, Water: Volcanic Eruption - sounds boring
Fire, Water, Wind: Tornado - maybe, alltought kinda boring too
Earth, Water, Wind: Ice Strike(Impale with Frost Nova?) - extremely boring, non-innovative
Earth, Fire, Wind: Fog (Chance to miss in an area/makes caster invisible) - I dont see earth elemental being on this one

And If you want to suggest a spell, Describe it. Saying Volcano or Tornado makes me think about firelords and nagas ultimates. I really prefer Unique/innoative spells.....Making complex spells is not a problem, the ideas are.
Harsh, dude. Though you have a point with fog, that's probably better for fire, water, and wind, or something else. Alright then, I'll explain them:
(Volcano)Hell's Fury- A fissure opens over a target point and a molten rock bursts from it, stunning units nearby. Lava then pours out and burns nearby units. The rock itself explodes, doing large AOE damage and setting affected units on fire, also doing knockback.
(Ice Strike)Glacial Blast- A glacier is summoned which speeds towards the direction it is aimed at. Units hit will be knocked back and frozen/slowed. As the glacier moves, it carves the land around it, spraying large boulders from its sides and back. Units hit by boulders will be briefly stunned.
Unfortunately I can't think of anything for Earth, Fire, and Wind unless you change fog to spreading a noxious gas which damages units or something.

burne-

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding TIME element to it...Got any ideas for time spells? The time isnt like other elements, you can choose it as it own but you can combine spells with it.

I was thinking lots of cool things, but some would be impossible to do....

Spells could be something like (only ideas so far):
Timeline - Creates a copy of yourself that performs same actions as you for last 10seconds
Timezone - AoE spell. You greate timezone where you can manipulate time. Units that enter it will become paused.
Timezone2 - When you enter this zone you will warp trought it damaging units you pass trought.
FutureSight - You create copy of enemy. You can controll and move the enemy and it will have to do the same things after certain amount of time

I want some unique ideas that would be something really new....And time element sounds so cool to me :).

Atm im not doing three elemental spells, cause it seems so hard....Time element motivates me more.

captainrads

Reaction score
Time doesn't feel like an element, more like a dimension, but I still dig it. Ok, how about this:

Space-Time Continum: A vortex opens at a targeted point, sucking all nearby units into it(or damaging them heavily).

Sonic Boom: Your hero rushes toward a targeted point, damaging and knocking units back that it runs into. In the hero's wake a shockwave ripples outward, causing damage, knockback, and units affected by the Sonic Boom will be dizzy for a short time.

Chronoburst: Time fluctuates wildly in an area, causing units to be misplaced and damaged randomly.

Chronobusrt2: Your hero moves in and out of time, critically striking random units.

Time Splitting: Your hero splits time into multiple instances, creating mirror images which function exactly as your hero does(They don't mimic the hero, but they have the same properties; they take and give the same amount of damage, cast spells, etc...of course, they could do exactly as the hero does by casting multiple spells at once...your call)

Prophet's Guidance: Your hero evades all damage for a given period of time.

That's all I got right now, I might think of some stuff later.

burne-

Reaction score
Time doesn't feel like an element, more like a dimension, but I still dig it. Ok, how about this:

Space-Time Continum: A vortex opens at a targeted point, sucking all nearby units into it(or damaging them heavily).

Sonic Boom: Your hero rushes toward a targeted point, damaging and knocking units back that it runs into. In the hero's wake a shockwave ripples outward, causing damage, knockback, and units affected by the Sonic Boom will be dizzy for a short time.

Chronoburst: Time fluctuates wildly in an area, causing units to be misplaced and damaged randomly.

Chronobusrt2: Your hero moves in and out of time, critically striking random units.

Time Splitting: Your hero splits time into multiple instances, creating mirror images which function exactly as your hero does(They don't mimic the hero, but they have the same properties; they take and give the same amount of damage, cast spells, etc...of course, they could do exactly as the hero does by casting multiple spells at once...your call)

Prophet's Guidance: Your hero evades all damage for a given period of time.

That's all I got right now, I might think of some stuff later.

I like some of those ideas. I quess Ill try do do some of them (better than my ideas). And as you said Im harsh before, Im just saying not all ideas are as good as these.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
>Water + Wind = Tsunami ( a big wave that pushes enemies away)

actualy, a tsunami is a big wave created from the movement of techtonic plates. In other words, its a big wave created from earth quakes, not the wind. Water + Wind would be more in the lines of a AoE Storm.

anyways, the spell names are takeing be back to the old final fantasies @.@ Fire 3!!! (which is now firaga)

Water + Fire = Mist, Causes anyone in the mist to miss on attack. Target spells might miss and AoE spells might be casted on another location if the caster is in the mist. This applies for both freindly and hostle units.

burne-

Reaction score
Small uptade. Made "time walk" spell (name might be changed)

Timewalk:
Hero uses his own and nearby enemies energy to give him increased movement speed and invunerability. Hero can travel 300 units with his own energy and hero gets aditional 200 units for stealing units energy that he passes by. Units that are caught in this spell, lose their movement speed.

Basicly its sort of chain slow/omnislash spell. You can only be hit 1 time with the spell, but it affects a big group if they are close to each other.

I tried making the sonic boom first, but it looked kinda weird, so this is modification from that idea. It looks nice ingame.

*edit* Im still taking spell Ideas (time spells for now) and I could also use Item ideas. Im not sure how the items should be since the main gameplay will be focused on spell casting. So maybe the items will have castable abilities or something?

Attachments

• timewalk.jpg
    timewalk.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 319

captainrads

Reaction score
I'd think items would be there to support the hero and the spells they cast. I'd put an amulet of spell shield in there for sure, and maybe add some others that increase mana, hp, etc. I don't know how creative you can get with items because of world editor limitations, but excluding those, you could have items that decrease the cooldowns of spells and stuff like that.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
you can put in elemental buff items, that increase the spells effectiveness if its a certan element (also applies if the element is part of a multi elemented spell)

captainrads

Reaction score
you can put in elemental buff items, that increase the spells effectiveness if its a certan element (also applies if the element is part of a multi elemented spell)
You could also have multiple items for multiple element spells which give greater buffs when used together. You could also have items that have after-effects of certain spells(for example, using a fire spell summons a fire unit? Or, enemies may freeze and shatter after using an ice spell).

burne-

Reaction score
You could also have multiple items for multiple element spells which give greater buffs when used together. You could also have items that have after-effects of certain spells(for example, using a fire spell summons a fire unit? Or, enemies may freeze and shatter after using an ice spell).

yea....I think they shouldnt increase spell damage...so probly mainly hp/mana/def bonus and sumon and other spells. It would be cool if items could really affect your strategy.

captainrads

Reaction score
yea....I think they shouldnt increase spell damage...so probly mainly hp/mana/def bonus and sumon and other spells. It would be cool if items could really affect your strategy.
I didn't mean adding damage, I meant adding after effects to the spells based on the kind of spell cast. If you made the right items though, they could really affect your strategy.

burne-

Reaction score
Allrighty terrain is somewhat ready now. My friend zarakk made it, so here is some pics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.