Sci/Tech Elon Musk's Plan to Build a Space Internet

The Helper

Administrator
Staff member

Because he doesn't have enough going on, Elon Musk—he of Tesla Motors, SpaceX, SolarCity, and the Hyperloop—is launching another project. Musk wants to build a second Internet in space and one day use it to connect people on Mars to the Web.

Musk is tonight hosting a SpaceX event in Seattle, where the company is opening a new office. The talk will mostly be about SpaceX’s plans for hiring aerospace and software engineers in the Pacific Northwest to boost the company’s rocket-building efforts. But he'll also use the talk to announce his newest idea, which would launch a vast network of communication satellites to orbit earth. The network would do two things: speed up the general flow of data on the Internet and deliver high-speed, low-cost Internet services to the three billion-plus people who still have poor access to the Web. “Our focus is on creating a global communications system that would be larger than anything that has been talked about to date,” Musk told Bloomberg Businessweek ahead of the announcement.

The Space Internet venture, to which Musk hasn’t yet given a name, would be hugely ambitious. Hundreds of satellites would orbit about 750 miles above earth, much closer than traditional communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit at altitudes of up to 22,000 miles. The lower satellites would make for a speedier Internet service, with less distance for electromagnetic signals to travel. The lag in current satellite systems makes applications such as Skype, online gaming, and other cloud-based services tough to use. Musk’s service would, in theory, rival fiber optic cables on land while also making the Internet available to remote and poor regions that don’t have access.

"Our focus is on creating a global communications system that would be larger than anything that has been talked about to date"

Read more about it here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2015-01-17/elon-musk-and-spacex-plan-a-space-internet

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
unrealistic and probably won't happen from both technological and political points

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
The internet thing isn't unrealistic. Planetary colonization is though. Not technologically, just politically and religiounish shit.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
I dont think this is unrealistic from a technological point of view. We should easily be able to produce a bunch of satellites. I also dont see how any religion on earth would be against fast remote internet. All religions make heavy use of the internet, even radical muslims.

The only thing that I can see would be a problem is money and politics. I could imagine how certain countries would be against having thousands of satellites all around the world. It would be "too easy" to abuse these for other activities besides internet services.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Religion is a problem with interplanetary settlement, not internet.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
The major problems are:
- Politics. Countries will want to strictly control internet access through censorship (China), amongst other nonsense.
- Technology. The issue is that you need transmitters on these satellites - which requires significant amounts of power - which is a problem when you're an object 750km in the air.

Last edited:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
- Politics. Countries will want to strictly control internet access through censorship (China), amongst other nonsense.
Yeah. I said that.
- Technology. The issue is that you need transmitters on these satellites - which requires significant amounts of power - which is a problem when you're an object 750km in the air.
Thats not a technological problem. We have the technology for that.
Its a cost problem. The technology is just too expensive and people are not going to pay for that. Or, lets say, its unlikely that they are going to pay for that.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
This isn't about mars, its about people.
Elon Musk wants to "build a city on Mars" He didn't ?
He also wants to deliver Internet service to "Earth and, eventually, to future cities on Mars" LOL
So, It's about Mars, People and Internet. "His big dreams"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Food trucks are killing out here because Bars cannot open unless they sell food and the governor ok'd the use of a food truck in front as serving food
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Just not enough food trucks
  • The Helper The Helper:
    a buddy of mine just opened up a food truck and he is killing it but he is a great cook and has awesome food right in the middle of the pandemic too food trucks are immune to pandemic because they are take out in Texas you will always be able to get take out or delivery
  • The Helper The Helper:
    He is in the different food facebook groups in houston and posts videos of him making his food
  • The Helper The Helper:
    he is killing it
  • jonas jonas:
    @Varine with the restaurants, there surely is a lot of luck and hard work but most restaurants fail because they suck. Flair isn't right, economics not well thought through, food is mediocre or sucks, location is bad, etc. If you're thinking about opening one, make sure you're looking at the stories of those that would be playing at your level, don't let your hopes be dragged down by all the subpar restaurants out there.
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm a bit worried about the future of data science, there's an influx of incompetent people hired by incompetent managers, that can't last. But I'm sure smart data scientists will always be useful and hireable. Same as smart security people.
  • jonas jonas:
    My sister in law worked in a vegan food truck, the owners were also making a killing, added several trucks and opened two restaurants over 5 years
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The CompTIA stuff is pretty much crap unfortunately. The places that ask for those low-level certs aren't likely places you want to work. For IT you really want a degree, but in the meantime you need to figure out some way to learn the skills. Cybersecurity is really hot right now so competition is fierce.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I realized I don't have anything much to say, other than "Good luck!". Compared to other places, I'm just very lucky we didn't have a lot of surges of cases coming in.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter just got back from school at Georgetown TX, outside of Austin and said there were 100 cases in the last week but she also said nobody was wearing a mask anywhere so people mask up and stay safe!
    +2
  • thewrongvine thewrongvine:
    happy thanksgiving folks!
    +1
  • Ralle Ralle:
    PLOOB
  • Varine Varine:
    @Gyah Yeah I figured they aren't particularly valuable, but they'll at the least act as a baseline for some entry level work somewhere.
  • Varine Varine:
    I now see how horribly I spelled @Ghan
  • Varine Varine:
    I had a rough morning
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that field is going to explode and though there is competition there is going to be room for all levels in the coming years imho.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Why are we competing for rough mornings? :(
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't want to compete for that, yall can have it.
  • Varine Varine:
    @The Helper I'm trying. Once I am more prepared to be figuring out school I'll probably ask for your advice
  • Varine Varine:
    Right now I'm just trying to get through the pandemic and figure out how I'm going to pay for it, and figure out what I need to get a job at Best Buy instead of a kitchen somewhere.
    oy just catching up on the discussion above. @Varine yeah I usually alternate between claritin & zyrtec, depending on whatever my body decides to reject at the time lol
    the more I use it the less effective it gets over time as my body accustoms to it so I try to not use it every day
  • S songbird:
    Glad to see some interest in the IS3 NUON reprint. :)
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Thank you Carl for making that happen that just might be the spark we need.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop