Emptiness Resides

LiveSsenkrad

Reaction score
Hey guys :p I often indulge myself in writing poetry, but I'm not sure how good I am! I would like any kind of criticism, even if you don't like it! It would be greatly appreciated :)

I wrote this when I felt unsure whether God exists or not, as I was slipping into doubt and away from religion, in the form of an Elizabethan Sonnet.

A fire burning excitedly bright
Dulls through time
A sight once so perfectly white
Now a hollow chime.

A passionate belief now blackened
No sight of miraculous revival
Futile attempts now abandoned
A losing fight for survival

The cries of a harlot seems clear
Morals erased by eroded belief
No regret saved for lacking fear
Always waiting for impossible relief

Inevitably the battle is hopelessly lost
Never to be found whatever the cost.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Read this all outloud:

"next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water

Did you run out of breath the first time reading this? If the answer is no, you are either a swimmer or a bad poetry reader (or perhaps the opposite if you prepared).

In poetry, punctuation is as important as the rhyme and the meter. Unlike prose, all poetry is meant to be read outloud. Those who say otherwise do not understand the tradition of poetry and should really, GTFO.

I must admit I could not recite this how you wanted me to. There are so few pauses, and I was left out of breath half way into the third stanza. And what was the hardest was that each line was written to make it seem like I should be stopping. How I wanted to read it was like this:

A fire burning excitedly bright
Dulls through time.
A sight once so perfectly white
Now a hollow chime.

A passionate belief now blackened-
No sight of miraculous revival-
Futile attempts now abandoned-
A losing fight for survival-

The cries of a harlot seems clear.
Morals erased by eroded belief.
No regret saved for lacking fear.
Always waiting for impossible relief.

Inevitably the battle is hopelessly lost-
Never to be found whatever the cost.

But if you really read it like this, it'd sound boring. The only beautiful stanza was the first, and this is actually really common, even I do this (the all-knowing, omnipotent, unnamed authority from the bowels of the en-ter-net). All other stanzas seem to grasp at ways to describe the first or reinforce it. I know teachers always tell you to do shit like that, but I've always done better when my writing is original and stands-for-itself-word-by-word.

When read outloud, the poem sounds kinda nice. I gotta admit that. But the context lacks in imagery, meaning, and flow. If I were your teacher, I'd give you an A for understanding the basic concepts, but if I were a publisher, I would only publish and advertise this to spite the traditions of writing.

This criticism is perhaps the nicest and most honest you'd get. I have a theory that writers are just egos with bodies. That's probably why it's said that no writer makes it into heaven.

LiveSsenkrad

Reaction score
Read this all outloud:

"next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water

Did you run out of breath the first time reading this? If the answer is no, you are either a swimmer or a bad poetry reader (or perhaps the opposite if you prepared).

In poetry, punctuation is as important as the rhyme and the meter. Unlike prose, all poetry is meant to be read outloud. Those who say otherwise do not understand the tradition of poetry and should really, GTFO.

I must admit I could not recite this how you wanted me to. There are so few pauses, and I was left out of breath half way into the third stanza. And what was the hardest was that each line was written to make it seem like I should be stopping. How I wanted to read it was like this:

But if you really read it like this, it'd sound boring. The only beautiful stanza was the first, and this is actually really common, even I do this (the all-knowing, omnipotent, unnamed authority from the bowels of the en-ter-net). All other stanzas seem to grasp at ways to describe the first or reinforce it. I know teachers always tell you to do shit like that, but I've always done better when my writing is original and stands-for-itself-word-by-word.

When read outloud, the poem sounds kinda nice. I gotta admit that. But the context lacks in imagery, meaning, and flow. If I were your teacher, I'd give you an A for understanding the basic concepts, but if I were a publisher, I would only publish and advertise this to spite the traditions of writing.

This criticism is perhaps the nicest and most honest you'd get. I have a theory that writers are just egos with bodies. That's probably why it's said that no writer makes it into heaven.

I thank you very much for taking your time for your input! This is exactly what I wanted, nothing sugar-coated but straight up! I will take what you've said in serious consideration and hopefully I can pass the point where I'd please a teacher at the very most :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.