End of Year Spell Contest - Flashy Summoning

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
The theme:

Flashy Summoning

You know the usual summoning spells like Feral Spirit.
You click the button, and all you get is some redish-brown mini-effect...
Boring.

Given the season we're in, it's lights and overkill decoration on every corner.
So should your spell be.

Take any single-level point target ability (Cluster Rockets, Silence, Dispel Magic, ...) that, when cast,
comes with the most visually impressive way to summon a single unit at that point.

Rules
- The spell must fit the theme
- The spell must be made by you, specifically for this contest
- You may use GUI, JASS, vJASS or any mix
- You may use an attachment system (Table, CSData, ...)
- No imports! Which means NO IMPORTS! (this does not include the previously mentioned attachment system)
- Your map must be fully usable with the default TFT editor, latest patch, running NewGen 1.5a or later
- The rules are not open to discussion

If your map doesn't match any of these requirements, your submission is history.

Deadline

Submissions will be accepted until this thread gets closed, which should be around midnight GMT on December, 30th 2008.

Grading

- Flashyness: 20 points,
"Did it impress me?", "Could someone other than you like it?", "Was it longer than 0.3 seconds?", "Was I momentarily blinded by it's awesomeness?"​
- Code: 10 points,
includes stuff like "Do I like it?", "Does it work?", "More than once?", "It's cool, but what's with the insane lag?", "This 200-line function is never called?"
"I don't care about configuration - it's just more crap I have to scroll past before I get to the real deal - comments, however, are very much welcome" - Hulk3​
- Theme and rules: 5 points,
easy to get, just have your submission follow the rules and theme, and you atleast come away with some points​
- General: 5 points,
includes whatever doesn't go in the other categories, a real "wildcard" point distribution, the intangibles would fall under this​

Maximum possible: 40 points.

If there are more than 10 submissions (11 and up),
a three day public poll will be posted to reduce the submissions by half first (rounded down if needed).

Judges:
- Hulk3 (aka emjlr3)
- Myself

Which should cover all expected mapping features and needs.

What you get

The usual suspects include a random but usually high amount of rep (20 and up for the top), and the right to brag.

What do I do when I'm done?

Post your map in the submissions thread.
Nothing else goes there!
Just a post with your submission.

Yes, you may edit your post to re-submit as needed, but any "edited by" that has a date and time after the thread gets closed will be dismissed.
Yes, you are expected to post an actual working map.

I won't try hard to find the perfect set of options to open your map.
Expect default settings, nothing more.
If it doesn't open first try, there won't be a second one.

General stuff

- Yes, your spell is expected to be point target, with an area of effect
- No, the summoned unit doesn't have to do anything. It makes an entrance. An appearance. The Grand Game. That will do just fine
- If you feel the need to use some pre-made library, consider reading the rules one more time (what part of "NO IMPORTS" didn't you get?); you can't expect high grades anyway if all you're doing is two xe function calls...
- As usual, if your post here "disappears for no reason", there actually was a reason and, no, we're not going to discuss it
- We do not edit posts to leave the part that was "OK"...
- Work in progress (WIP) posts are welcome, and encouraged
- "Discussion" should be kept to a minimum, your opinion on someone else's submission is better posted later, in the grading thread...
- Neither do we particularly care about how cool you think your spell is... judging will decide that
- Multi-unit instanceable (MUI), multi-player instanceable (MPI) or multi-whatever-the-heck are not required, but code grading will consider it
- "Leakfree" is not required, but code grading will consider it
- "Balanced" is of no interest in a map with one single spell, and lots of baddies to unload it on...
- We do not care for AI, Creeps, Revival triggers, Terrain decoration, ... show us a spell that impresses!
- The Helper Net reserves the right to cancel this contest at any moment, especially if Hulk3 had a bad day

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Theme and rules: 5 points
So if my spell doesn't follow the rules and does something completely unrelated to summoning, I lose a grand total of...5 points? :rolleyes:
This grading category seems pointless, if a spell doesn't follow the theme/rules, doesn't it make more sense not to put it into consideration at all?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great another contenst! Just as I was starting to get bored :D

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ace, are you the only judge?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow.. Only a week to make it?
During Christmas and just before the New Year too.

Well.. Worth trying anyway.

Edit: Can we pause units / use cinematic mode, etc?
Or would that make it not a 'spell' anymore?

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Not a terraining contest? Better than nothing.

Edit:

About MUI and Leaks, does it mean that this is not required, but will affect our score?

AceHart

Reaction score
> Only a week

Most likely yes.

> Can we pause units / use cinematic mode, etc?

If your definition of Flashy Summoning requires that, be my guest.

> Can the spell be based off a show?

If your definition of Flashy Summoning requires that, be my guest.

> About MUI and Leaks, does it mean that this is not required, but will affect our score?

That is exactly what post #1 said.
Hence the 20 points in "flashiness", whereas "code" only got 10.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
> Theme and rules: 5 points
So if my spell doesn't follow the rules and does something completely unrelated to summoning, I lose a grand total of...5 points? :rolleyes:
This grading category seems pointless, if a spell doesn't follow the theme/rules, doesn't it make more sense not to put it into consideration at all?

this assures everyone atleast gets some score (for those who judge themselves based off of not getting a 0)

btw - i dont care about configuration - itss just more i have to scroll past before i get to the real deal - comments are very much welcome though

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
well JASS-guys will have an advantage :(
since you can do everything in JASS....

anyway count me in

now I need an idea.... :eek:

it would be good if you could rate how simple the spell is and how nice it looks so it doesn't need to be a 100 row code to make 1 damn summoning spell lol

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well JASS-guys will have an advantage :(
since you can do everything in JASS....
Learn Jass then.
Jass can't do everything anyway

it would be good if you could rate how simple the spell is and how nice it looks so it doesn't need to be a 100 row code to make 1 damn summoning spell lol
...So you want points to be given for how simple a spell is?

Code:
E: Unit Starts the effect of an ability
A: Create 3 footmen.
10/10 points? :p

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
...So you want points to be given for how simple a spell is?

no you didn't get me lol... now I'm the dumb guy -.-

I was talking about that people can make giant codes and put hundreds of effects in it so everybody's spell can look like damn New Year Fireworks.... you can do miracles with just few simple effects but nvm

AceHart

Reaction score
> you can do miracles with just few simple effects but nvm

Well, I do mind.
I can see the difference between a random collection of fluff and an actual plan.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
no you didn't get me lol... now I'm the dumb guy -.-

I was talking about that people can make giant codes and put hundreds of effects in it so everybody's spell can look like damn New Year Fireworks.... you can do miracles with just few simple effects but nvm

Lots of fireworks doesn't make the spell look cool. It's often just annoying to see thousands of fireworks if it's creating 3 footmen.

Now creating something that looks cool, but doesn't over do it, THAT takes a bit more thought and planning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.