Euthanasia. is it right?

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Odds are it would be a somewhat compulsive subconscious system of thinking that would spur such actions, not an active process of inner speech.
(Lets compare this to getting up on a cold morning, you put off getting out of bed and actively think it, and all of a sudden your out of bed, without thinking of doing so, suicide I guess might be similar.)

From the time their terminal illness is diagnosed, and possibly the years following, they usually have time to consider their options. Hardly spur of the moment.

This of course depends on if being dignified is important, and if either of the two cases given fulfill ones feelings attached to being dignified.

Fair point, Having the choice is ideal then, rather being forced to die in a certain way because the law feels you don't have the right to your own body.

Dying is dying, I think in most cases its not a beautiful thing, and while dying with family around might be nice on the active 'dying' person, the whole family will have a completely different stress put on them. So whether or not the overall situation is better or worse then one another is quite blurry.

I can't speak for most people, but it would be much easier on my conscience if I was with someone in their last moments, knowing they take comfort in having cared ones around rather than knowing they died alone in pain with no-one at their side.

Plus, with euthanasia it's hardly as if you force the family to witness the death of the patient. It provides a CHOICE for everyone involved. If you don't want to be there at the death because of emotional stress, you don't have to go.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I think that the concept of Euthanasia is good, reasons behind it aside, if you want to end your life painlessly in a dignified manner, you should be allowed to.

But there are issues such as individuals who may pressurize elder relatives in to euthanasia purely for inheritance, some people will do anything to get more, and problems like this will always been a huge downside to such things.

Basically I believe that if you are dying slowly and painfully in complete suffering, the option of ending it painlessly should be available, it's just a choice, not giving people that choice isn't right to me, if someone doesn't like euthanasia that's fine, but this shouldn't mean that nobody gets the choice, and instead are forced to suffer.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Euthanasia. Cats and dogs. We as a people do it everyday to put an end to the pain and suffering of elderly pets so they are not forced to continue on in such pain.

But we don't give that luxury to Humanity?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I feel bad for the Asian kids, they need a better life and I feel that we should donate to help them.

Varine

Reaction score
Because you mentioned asians in a stereotypical way ill say something.

What? You really think that asian kids are that bad off. What does this even have to do with euthanasia. Are you trying to be funny? because you arnt.

Euthanasia = youth in Asia. Genius.

Anyway if you're going to kill yourself just do it don't make a doctor do it for you.

Varine

Reaction score
There you go someone laughed.

I'm still failing to see why this is a very big issue. I mean honestly if I wanted to die, just because the hospital said they won't do it I doubt I would be like "oh... kay well nevermind then."

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Seeing as though I did this in an exam yesterday, I'd like to show this story to everybody here:

A while ago in the Western Cape of South Africa, over 40 false killer whales were euthanized because it was almost impossible to move them back out to sea. Those that they did manage to move back into the deep water beached themselves again for some unknown reason, leaving them with no choice but to kill the whales by shotgun.

Here's the link to a blog by one of the witnesses.
Here's a report from NSRI of South Africa

This was a difficult decision, and several bystanders had to be carried away by police when they got too involved.

This decision was also carried out in the best interests of the whales. What would you do if there was no way to help these poor creatures?

CatCat

Reaction score
There you go someone laughed.

I'm still failing to see why this is a very big issue. I mean honestly if I wanted to die, just because the hospital said they won't do it I doubt I would be like "oh... kay well nevermind then."

It's not that simple. It's about setting the norms and values of the society we live in. By passing this law we would be defining what our views are on life and death, we would be defining what we think is right and what is wrong.

Which is all good and well, right? The answer is usually yes. But in this case 2 or more norms or values are colliding with one another. In this specific case the main ones would be "The value of life" Vs "The freedom to choose". Usually in debates there is a deeper central "idea"; and people love to defend or rank these values.

So what do you think is more important? The freedom to choose, or the value of life?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
But I'm sure most of you already know this basic stuff.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I can tell you guys a bit about this topic.
Switzerland is probably the only country where it's actually legal. And I live there.

There is an organisation called 'Exit' that does it.
It is very professional. For example they have doctors that check if you are just having a depression. If you do, they obviusly won't help you.
It's non-profit.

Well, how it's done... the person just drinks some poison and then falls asleep and dies. It seems to be kinda save. There has been a case where somebody didn't die, but there was no pain. He just woke up.

There are some problems tho.

One is 'sterbe Tourismus'. 'Dying tourism' in English.
It's people from other countries where it's illegal that come to Switzerland to die.

And there's the problem that the organisation can't find a building where they can do it. Everybody refuses them.
There was a case when it was done in a parked car wich is pretty much against the idea of 'dying with dignity'.

It's legal here right now because there is no regulation about it. And now there is one being made, wich leads into a debate about it.
It will probably end up in a regulation that forces the organisation has to give a lot of information to the state to prevent abuse and maybe 'dying tourism' gets illegal.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
Let's see what you think about your theory elderkingpin next time your literally dying of pain and screaming and writhing in agony... Crawling on the floor slowly fading away.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Everyone should make a "note", while being healthy and fine, if he or she would accept it or not.
If it's a NO, then it under no conditions should the patient be allowed to do that.
If it's a YES, then when the time comes, and at that time the patient AND doctors AND close relatives agree, it should be allowed.

Euthanasia is illegal at most places, because it's abuseable. A vile child of a grandma can easily be chased to death, because of getting the inheritance (is that a word?) faster, even though that person could survive.

Varine

Reaction score
The freedom to choose the value of my own life :)

In which case I choose my life is worth a lot and would like Obama to devote a large amount of funds to me in the amount that I feel I am worth.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
If you dont know, Euthanasia is derived from the Greek word meaning "good death" is the practice of ending life in a painless matter. This is usually used for patients that have a terminal illness and are in severe pain.

I will make my stand here, and now.

I believe that Euthanasia is COMPLETELY wrong, human life is too precious to just be thrown away like that.

The doctors should do all in their power to revive the patient until there is absolutely no more chance of revival, clinical and brain dead. Even if the patient is in severe pain, human life is far too precious to just be thrown away, you can never know until you try.

I wont be posting anything here, ive made my point :)

I have already tried to raise this opinion to someone else, other then being called a religious fanatic for my opinions, nothing happened. Once i stated that all humans have souls they went on to say everything about the human body, cells, organs, the such. To be revered as persons, of course i stopped once i noticed how mad and crazy the person was... so yes, i have no desire to get into this discussion, only to raise my viewpoint and see if anyone else has the same opinion i do, either by religious or personal feelings

Usually, the 2 standpoints are.

"Its up to the person"
or
"Human life is far to precious to waste by early death, and treatment until utter failure(death). (in other words, have faith)"

So all humans deserve to be forced to stay alive, violating whatever they want, even if they want to die because they're in constant pain and they just want it to end? What about animals by the way? If it's wrong to euthanize humans is it also wrong to do so to animals? From what I've heard if an animal is in an extreme amount of pain etc., people will "put the animal out of it's mercy," and this is considered humane. Why would it be any different for a person?

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
No one has authority over your life except you. If you choose to die, that is your right.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
My opinion is quite clear on this matter. Euthanasia should take place only if:

• The victim clearly stated in the past on what conditions he chooses to die. The source should be undebatablely reliable and should have been written in the past X months.
  • The patient asks in the present to die over sometime so his will is undoubted.
  • The sickness/injury the patient suffers from is incurable.
  • His mental state is proved to be well over time.
  • If the victim will not die he will suffer miserably.

In other words Euthanasia should happen only if the patient suffers from a huge pain and has no hope of being cured. When he states he wish to die his mental state should be clear and it needs to be proved that it wasn't a quick decision but a well-thought decision not caused by pain nor mental illness but true will.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
In the health care bill Congress is trying to pass, there's a clause for euthanasia. It sanctions doctors to have conversations with patients many years before their life expectancies to discuss their preferences on this. Of course, conservatives have told America that this is a bad thing and all Democrats want to kill senior citizens and take advantage of them.

No, they say, it's better to wait until the patient is brain dead to decide whether or not he wants doctors to pull the plug. But seriously, this clause would clear up a lot of the issues with euthanasia. Having a discussion years before anything might happen will certainly elucidate things.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ATM. it SEEMS like its one-sided. let them have the choice. and i doubt anyone will complain about that. even i have said it. you cant complain about having a choice. i dont see it going anywhere, unless someone that DEMANDS it be illegal speak up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.