System Event Broadcaster

Reaction score
I previously had a bulky and non-dynamic system which could perform this sort of stuff, but this one is better. You can attach functions to an "event" string, and then you can broadcast the event in order to call all functions associated with it.

Pros:

1. Dynamic - can attach or remove actions associated with any string at any time.
2. Scalable - as long as you stay below the limit of around 8190 associations, there is no fixed limit on how many associations a single event can have. 800 events with 10 actions each is just as possible as 10 events with 800 actions each.
3. Multiple usages - can be used to attach actions to a unit type, a handle. Anything that can be expressed in string form somehow can have actions attached.

Cons:

1. Slow.
2. Can't pass arguments to associated functions. You'll have to attach data to event-responses or use globals.

Copy into map header or put in empty trigger to use:

JASS:
library Event initializer DeclareCache
    globals
        private gamecache gc
    endglobals

private struct link
        string str
        link parent = 0
        link child = 0

static method create takes string str returns link
            local link li = link.allocate()
            set li.str = str
            return li
        endmethod
    endstruct

private function DeclareCache takes nothing returns nothing
        set gc = InitGameCache(SCOPE_PRIVATE+"vars.w3v")
    endfunction

private function FindLastLink takes link li returns link
        if (li.child == 0) then
            return li
        endif

return FindLastLink.evaluate(li.child)
    endfunction

private function DeleteLink takes link li returns nothing
        set li.parent.child = li.child
        set li.child.parent = li.parent
        call li.destroy()
    endfunction

private function GetLink takes link li, string str returns link
        if (li.str == str) then
            return li
        elseif (li.child == 0) then
            return 0
        endif

return GetLink.evaluate(li.child, str)
    endfunction

public function AddAction takes string ev, string ac returns nothing
        local link li = GetStoredInteger(gc, SCOPE_PRIVATE+"event", ev)

if (li == 0) then
            set li = link.create(ac)
            call StoreInteger(gc, SCOPE_PRIVATE+"event", ev, li)
        else
            set li = FindLastLink(li)
            set li.child = link.create(ac)
            set li.child.parent = li
        endif
    endfunction

public function RemoveAction takes string ev, string ac returns nothing

if (li != 0 and li.str != ac) then
            call DeleteLink(GetLink(li, ac))
        elseif (li != 0) then
            if (li.child != 0) then
                 call StoreInteger(gc, SCOPE_PRIVATE+"event", ev, li.child)
            else
                 call FlushStoredInteger(gc, SCOPE_PRIVATE+"event", ev)
            endif
            call DeleteLink(GetLink(li, ac))
        endif
    endfunction

public function Broadcast takes string ev returns nothing

if (li != 0) then
            loop
                call ExecuteFunc(li.str)
                exitwhen li.child == 0
                set li = li.child
            endloop
        endif
    endfunction
endlibrary

Usage details:

Use Event_AddAction(string event, string action) to associate an event with an action. Event_RemoveAction removes an action from an event. Call Event_Broadcast(string event) to run the associated actions.

Update: I have added a test map.

Attachments

• EventBroadcaster.w3x
    22 KB · Views: 256

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
sounds pretty similiar to what vexorian did in his caster system event casting module
OnAbilityEffect('AbilityId',"FuncName")
OnAbilityPrecast('AbilityId',"FuncName")
etc.

Yours sounds interesting nonetheless; could you give a more elaborate example and illustrate the possibilities of your system?

Reaction score
sounds pretty similiar to what vexorian did in his caster system event casting module
OnAbilityEffect('AbilityId',"FuncName")
OnAbilityPrecast('AbilityId',"FuncName")
etc.

Yours sounds interesting nonetheless; could you give a more elaborate example and illustrate the possibilities of your system?

Well, I will use it for a damage detection system, after I optimize it.

call Event_Broadcast("damaged") in the actions for your generic damage detection system. You can then easily add actions for things like calculating crit chance, etc. A trigger that calculates a crit chance might call Event_Broadcast("critical"), which would make it easy to create an item which, say, adds a special effect to critical strikes.

You could also have a trigger which calls Event_Broadcast(I2S(GetUnitTypeId(GetTriggerUnit()))) when a unit enters a region, and add an action to the footman type which causes the triggering unit to explode. Footmen entering the region would explode.

All this stuff can be accomplished through other means, but its easier to use broadcasting events.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
sounds good.

how about adding a map with some usage examples?

why do you say it's slow? The code doesn't look that bulky. And there are enough alternatives for gamecache around.

Reaction score
sounds good.

how about adding a map with some usage examples?

why do you say it's slow? The code doesn't look that bulky. And there are enough alternatives for gamecache around.

Its not too slow if you only use it occasionally, but it might not be fast enough for intensive use.

Anyway, I have attached a test map which may give ideas as to possible usages.

EDIT: Attachment added for no particular reason.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
I've looked at it, and I find it quite useful:
E.g. for a map we*re about to have a little physics effect for shard damage done by siege tanks so that units in a small area around the impact field are thrown around. Your event system can be of help there.

+rep

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.