Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Originally, I was going to use Event like this:
- a custom damage event is triggered
- all modifying functions for that event are fired in the correct order
- the damage is dealt

eg.
- an effect Shield reduces damage by 50%, so Shield is attached to the custom damage Event, and has a priority of 10
- an effect Stoneskin reduces damage by 5, so Stoneskin is attached to the custom damage Event, and has a priority of 1
- a unit casts a spell on Bob, dealing x damage, which fires the damage Event
- since the Shield trigger has the highest priority, the Shield trigger is fired first, which reduces the value of x by 50%
- since the Stoneskin trigger has the second highest priority, the Stoneskin trigger reduces the value of x by 5
- finally, x damage is dealt to Bob (which could be considered a trigger with a priority of 0)

Unfortunately, looking at the Event system, I realized that its not capable of doing this - mostly the lack of a priority system to control the order that triggers are fired in.

I want to write my own system to do this, similar to Event, except instead of a linked list, an ordered linked list. Problem is, I don't understand how internally Event works, apart from that it is a linked list - like what's the purpose of the EventStack...

Solmyr

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
  1. I don't see why you need a custom damage event.
  2. If damage modification is the only thing you're after, use DamageEvent & DamageModifiers. It is definitely the best thing out there, and it also allows you to give different priorities to different damage modifiers (which is exactly what you're after).
EDIT: Man, just when I started writing something very similar to what kingking posted. Guess that saves me the trouble :)

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Instant 1. :p
JASS:
library EventEx

struct EventEx
        private thistype prev
        private thistype next
        //Next (Higher Priority)
        private integer p
        private trigger trig

static method create takes nothing returns thistype
            local thistype this=thistype.allocate()
            set this.prev=this
            set this.next=this
            set this.p=0
            return this
        endmethod

method register takes trigger trig, integer priority returns nothing
            local thistype node=thistype.allocate()
            set node.p=priority
            set node.trig=trig

set this=this.prev
            loop
            exitwhen node.p>=this.p
                set this=this.prev
                //Searching from largest to smallest priority.
            endloop
            //Nearest small number is found, we shall attach it into the list now.
            set this.next.prev=node
            set node.prev=this
            set node.next=this.next
            set this.next=node
        endmethod

method unregister takes trigger trig returns nothing
            local thistype ori=this
            set this=this.next
            loop
            exitwhen ori==this
                if this.trig==trig then
                    set this.prev.next=this.next
                    set this.next.prev=this.prev
                    call this.deallocate()
                endif
                set this=this.next
            endloop
        endmethod

method fire takes nothing returns nothing
            local thistype ori=this
            set this=this.prev//We will fire from highest to lowest priority.
            loop
            exitwhen ori==this
                if IsTriggerEnabled(this.trig) and TriggerEvaluate(this.trig) then
                    call TriggerExecute(this.trig)
                endif
                set this=this.prev
            endloop
        endmethod

method destroy takes nothing returns nothing
            local thistype ori=this
            set this=this.next
            loop
            exitwhen ori==this
                call this.deallocate()
                set this=this.next
            endloop
            call this.deallocate()
        endmethod
    endstruct

endlibrary

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
@ Solmyr
I should have been more specific, there are no native damage sources in my map, so all damage is triggered, hence why I called it a "custom" damage event.

@ kingkingyyk3
Thanks, I could have written this myself though, but I wanted to understand why Jesus4Lyf added a stack structure to his code. I think I just realized why - won't yours cause a recursive loop if I created an event to fire when damage is dealt?

I've also decided, after reading the Event thread, that a priority system isn't needed, and that I should just add separate Events for each part of damage calculation (one for % reduction, one for absolute reduction, etc).

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Thanks, I could have written this myself though, but I wanted to understand why Jesus4Lyf added a stack structure to his code. I think I just realized why - won't yours cause a recursive loop if I created an event to fire when damage is dealt?
That's for Event.getTriggered() and EventReg. :)

Solmyr

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
@ Solmyr
I should have been more specific, there are no native damage sources in my map, so all damage is triggered, hence why I called it a "custom" damage event.
That doesn't mean you can't use DamageModifiers. I generally despise those "event systems", so I'd say it's up you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.