Existence... could there ever be a 'how' behind it?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Existence
Whether you believe that God created the universe or that some unlikely (although probably more likely than the existence of a God) chain of events occurred to catalyze the beginning of the universe doesn't matter. The question is not in how the universe was made, but in how existence happened. I'm of the belief that mankind cannot, could not, or could ever understand the mechanism that set existence into motion.​
There is no fathomable explanation. Nothing can explain this. Even if everything began from a single, individual particle or was zapped into creation by God himself, how did that particle or deity get there in the first place? What caused their existence to exist? How could it be possible?​
I haven't been able to get any sort of plausible theory out of anyone. There is no explanation that makes sense, not even with magic and Gods. I'm not looking for proof - rather, far from it. I'm just looking for an explanation that could possibly make sense. Anything, as long as it makes sense. I feel as if my opinion likely differs from that of many others on here. Anyone strongly disagree with my views? Anyone have some kind of explanation for this impossible question?​

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
[URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Bonaparte' said:
Napoleon Bonaparte[/URL], when told of Robert Fulton's steamboat, 1800s.]What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time to listen to such nonsense.

[SIZE=13px said:
Dr [/SIZE]Dionysius Lardner, 1823]Rail travel at high speed is not possible, because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.

[SIZE=13px said:
Simon Newcomb, 1888[/SIZE]]We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy.

[URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gissing' said:
George Gissing[/URL], 1903]The invention of aircraft will make war impossible in the future.

New York Times said:
A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth's atmosphere.

[URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Millikan' said:
Robert Millikan[/URL], 1923]There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom.
[SIZE=13px said:
W.C. Heuper, 1954[/SIZE]]If excessive smoking actually plays a role in the production of lung cancer, it seems to be a minor one

Obesemancave said:
There is no fathomable explanation. Nothing can explain this.

Okay so that didn't come out so well, but I spent a long time finding all of those and I don't want to fix it right now so just go ahead and take it for what it is, while appreciating the effort I put forth for this joke.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
plenty of theories - some can be disproven, but I would say that proving one right is impossible.. atleast in the foreseeable future

Fatmankev

Reaction score
plenty of theories - some can be disproven, but I would say that proving one right is impossible.. atleast in the foreseeable future
I'd love to hear one. I don't even need it to be proven, I'd just like some sort of explanation.

And Obesemancave? I might need to change my account name if that's possible...

Varine

Reaction score
One theory is an abstract fourth dimensional kind of thing.

How about you simplify it. Somehow, something occurred. What that thing is currently remains unknown. However there was a specific event that, at some point in time or before it, that thing did happen, and we know this because we're here to ask about it. All that differs is a confidence of whether or not we are able to re-create anything that nature does - thus far, at least to some extent, this appears to be possible. Which means, eventually, we'll figure out whatever did happen. Just like the Engineers did. And somewhere down the line, there will be this little species asking this question, and eventually they will find us, and we will be like "Yeah what up G's, we forgot about you, we made a lot of shit. Sorry about that." And holy fuck I just came up with the best video game idea ever, so I'm off and don't really care about you anymore.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Man, do you have any playable games? I'd love to try one of anyones' games on here, since it seems like everyone except me is a fuckin' game developer, or a programmer at the very least.

But still, to say that we'll understand it one day just because we've figured out other things is ridiculous. It's a question that can't be answered because there's no way we could understand it. The world in which we live in, where everything is subjectively based on our past, present and future experiences, does not possess a reasonable explanation to the question of 'how?'.

Varine

Reaction score
I have systems that are playable. The game's are not. For most of them I need more money, but what I'm working on now might bring that eventually. For right now though, we're working on something that I'm hoping that we can release a short demonstration of the mechanics for feedback and some demographics reports by summer. Altogether it isn't very hard, but it's way too complicated to make a very coherent explanation for workflow. Usually it leads to me getting lost in what I'm doing, there's so many thing that need to be tracked.

And they called ME a pessimist... dude you're acting like every first year philosophy and physics student. Knock it off.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
I can't even imagine everything that goes into a project like that. How many people do you have on your team? And what sort of venue are you planning on presenting your material in? You taking it out to talk to people, or just posting a video online or something? Sucks that it's so hard to get paid doing something you really enjoy doing.

And I'll knock it off. But I posted the question for a reason; if there is some sort of valid explanation for it all then I'd really like to hear it. I don't like thinking of questions without answers, and that's what I'm stuck here doing. I'm very open-minded to others' ideas, and change my opinion of matters quite frequently if a reason to do so presents itself. In my eyes, I'm just trying to reach a better understanding of something that caught my interest, whether my views are typical of a first-year philosophy student or not. Unless you're suggesting I'm acting like a first-year student in either of those fields because I've been asking questions. If you're telling me to stop asking questions, well... shut up. You suck, and all that jive.

Varine

Reaction score
I hate doing this. I just happen to find it not very hard (if anything tedious, typically), however there is a very large stream of money being thrown around here, and it's got low entry barriers, so if we can get that money I can fund some of our other projects that I would prefer to work on.
I have one other person on the game right now, and then I have one person with a different project that we're hoping will get an income stream in the long run. Although a few other similar projects have come up, most of them were failed experiments; we're doing it significantly differently, and hoping that in doing so we can push it into the market as a viable option for various things.

The thing is, neither of them are hard to build. For the game, we know exactly what we're going to do with it. I know how the game systems are going to work and interact, how the gameplay will work, even the controls for the most part. However, every single thing in the game is being tracked and recorded for recall. In some cases this is several thousand things, and that can become a little complicated when trying to figure out how to do it all at once. Also it's really hard to explain, though the game itself isn't very hard to understand once you play it. And the demonstration is going to be a playable little game we release that basically just shows off the gameplay mechanics, and we get a bunch of information from you that is beneficial to my report, and then we start dealing with what people commented on and going into an alpha stage for the game itself.

And it has nothing to do with questions. It isn't a debate. No one knows; if anyone had an even remotely concrete shred of evidence of how things exist, there wouldn't be anymore discussion of things like what religion is right.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Cool to hear ya'll have some funds headed your way. Hopefully you can get something real accomplished (and by real, I mean playable. Not talkin' trash about anything you've done that I haven't witnessed). I'm not too business savvy, but I feel like it'd be more efficient to pool all your resources on one game for now to get that accomplished before working on the next, seeing as how you have so few people on your team. Then again, I don't know anything about how you've got everything organized, so this suggestion could definitely be without merit.

Can you give any idea as to what the game is like, or is this all kept pretty secretive during the development process? Sounds like you guys have thought it all out... I don't get what you mean by them be tracked and recorded for recall, but that's just 'cuz I don't know about this shit and you don't gotta explain it. You sound busy. If you do get to the point of being able to release something playable to the public, be sure to make TH.net aware of it, because I'd play any member's game on here, especially if it was one worth playing.

So your problem is that I have something that isn't a debate, disguised as a debate? That makes sense, I guess, since it's true. It was a debate in the way I asked the question to my peers, but it didn't come across the same here since I guess the rest of it that actually was debatable came to a conclusion. So my bad. I guess I just wanted to push my views onto other people. So take that. I'll act like a little prick all I want.

Varine

Reaction score
We have no resources other than time, and it is very tedious work. If I don't divide it up like that I'll stop caring about it. I'll send you a PM; it's not really a secret, but we don't advertise what we're doing.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
I would love to join in here.. But I am afraid my english is too bad to properly express my thoughts.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Nothing really to add, unless you've got an explanation for how existence happened. No one else has, so I'm not expecting much.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Existence is the "natural state of the universe" And that's it!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Seriously, why must there always be a cause or purpose. eh?
Well, it's simple natural things. You see, from nothing existed before "that could have been its cause." Nothing exists outside it that "could be the source" Hmm they are "simply there" for the sake of nothing but their own existence and unfolding.

Varine

Reaction score
A natural state is caused by nature. Silly Varyne.
And nature is caused by a series of events involving the matter and other forms thereof that culminated in the material world as we understand it. And something start those events.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
And nature is caused by a series of events involving the matter and other forms thereof that culminated in the material world as we understand it. And something start those events.
They started themself because they felt like it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.