Sci/Tech Exposing Kids To 10 Hours Of Science A Year Makes Them Smarter

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Low-income minority fourth-graders from south L.A. improved their test scores in math and language after they got just a handful of science lessons, a new study found. College students studying science presented 10 separate one-hour lessons, and the kids rose up whole percentile ranks in other subjects.

"A lot of students say things like, 'I didn't know science was fun,'" said Samantha Gizerian, now a clinical assistant professor at Washington State University. Apparently they also showed a greater interest in taking books home to read, and a greater willingness to practice math.

The lessons were simple, too--in one case, a college student just brought in some microscope slides from his lab.

Gizerian says the lessons taught science, but also acted "as a spark to ignite a child's interest in lifelong learning in all areas." She presented her findings at a recent Society for Neuroscience meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Hey, over here "teaching" rarely happens. Tuition is the way to go.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...] they also showed a greater interest in taking books home to read [...]
Unfortunately this is the 21st century and books are out.
Way to go internet!

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I'm glad this is going on in the US, where we seem to have forgotten that learning is a positive thing.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
This just in: teaching kids makes them... SMARTER!

but for some reason, the mystery is that when you teach anything, they get smarter at everything (not that that is surprising to me, but the news likes to point that out) - also interesting that they did 1-on-1 teaching

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
also interesting that they did 1-on-1 teaching
Yeah and that doesn't prove anything. Really. Anyway, It depends on the teacher. If they create a safe and comfortable /interesting learning . No wonder "They will get smarter"

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Why does it have to be safe? I think they would learn much more effectively if they otherwise could suffer some form of injury. Some kind of a gauntlet, maybe like in Portal, where they have to answer Algebra questions to get out.

Varine

Reaction score
... do we have to kidnap you Flamin' Kitten, and then show you how effective it is?

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
I reckon kids should get a chance to at least have a closer look at stuff like pyrotechnics, high explosives, liquid nitrogen, rockets and other crazy cool sciency stuff. It would really inspire a lot of them I think.

Varine

Reaction score
I didn't actually need most of what I cheated on in school apparently. And I think it's safe to say, I've done at least moderately successfully. Never once has anyone made me write in cursive. Except Russians. They make you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.