Fable like Fireball spell creation help.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Anyone who's played Fable/Fable TLC will know what I'm talking about, anyway. I need help creating a spell, yet i don't have any good ideas how to achieve this effect. Now this is a fireball, kind of regular, like a storm bolt. The main difference is, that i want it to be like in fable, the higher the level is, the more you can "channel" it increasing its power. Now this wouldn't be much of a problem if I'd use channel as the base ability, but i want the hero to be able to move while "channeling"/ powering up it and release it whenever he pleases. I was thinking about using immolation maybe and then adding another ability called "Release Fireball" , to.. Well release it, but i really don't want it to take up 2 spell slots for one.. So any ideas will be appreciated and thanked with +rep..

P.S If you require more detail please post. Tho i believe what i stated was enough.

Forgot to mention, it's supposed to be a single target spell.

Nexor

Reaction score
In DotA is a hero called Keeper of the Light, and he has a spell called Illuminate. In the new map he had been reworked and he can use this spell without standing and channeling it.

The solution is, to remove the spell which charges up your effect and add another which releases it. If the spell finishes or you break the channeling, give back the hero-spell after removing the releasing spell.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
In DotA is a hero called Keeper of the Light, and he has a spell called Illuminate. In the new map he had been reworked and he can use this spell without standing and channeling it.

The solution is, to remove the spell which charges up your effect and add another which releases it. If the spell finishes or you break the channeling, give back the hero-spell after removing the releasing spell.

But i don't think i would still be able to move around WHILE channeling.. Thats pretty much the whole problem. I want him to example run around channeling the fireball, then after like ~1 min of running around he finds an enemy and releases it.

In DotA , the spell stays at the same location and fires from there, i wouldn't want, that when i release the fireball, it flies from the other side of the map :)

Pharaoh_

The epic journey will soon begin... Prepare!
Reaction score
Every a specific amount of time (second, let's say) increase level of ability? (Make multiple versions of the ability) to increase its power the more you channel. To achieve this effect, you will create a dummy unit at your position. That dummy unit will channel the spell, instead of the hero and trigger it as mentioned above: every 0.4 seconds or so, increase level of ability. Make the casting range of the unit at 99999 and make it however you want to be released when the player wants to. Make the special effect of the spell to be attached on your hero instead, so that it seems like HE is casting the spell.

Denegoth

Reaction score
How about a dummy unit with a damageless fireball spell.
Use channel as a base ability for the main spell.
Use a periodic trigger or something to increase a variable, then at a certain point, spawn the dummy unit to cast the fireball, and trigger the damage using the variable.

Just a small idea.

Nexor

Reaction score
u want it to release it from your hero, right? simply increase the effect somehow and after channeling it it will be released or u can do it earlier. In dota the hero stays there, but u can move the effect with u

Denegoth

Reaction score
If you want to be able to move, do a similar thing to what I said before, only don't use a dummy unit.
Add a buff to the hero when channeling starts, and use a periodic trigger to add to a variable. Then add the damageless fire spell to the hero, and trigger its damage.

BarzahdX

Reaction score
Ooh ooh I've got an idea!

Code:
Fireball Channel

Events
Unit starts the effect of an ability.

Conditions
Spell being cast equal to Fireball.

Actions

If
Fireball_Variable is equal to 0.
Then
Turn on Fireball Channel Count
Else
Cause casting unit to damage target unit of ability being cast for level of Fireball x Fireball_Variable damage with damage type spells and attack type fire.
Set Fireball Channel Count to 0.
Turn off Fireball Channel Count. [color="green"]//This is only if you want it to stop chanelling after you unleash it, if you want it to constantly be storing power, don't add this.[/color]

There is one flaw with this, to begin the channeling, you must set it to cast on somebody, you can fiddle with that. The second trigger be this.

Code:
Fireball Channel Count

Events
Every 1 second of game time.

Conditions

Actions
Set Fireball_Variable to Fireball_Variable + 1.

If it can only store while alive, you can set a variable in the first trigger and condition it in the second.. That should certainly achieve what you need.

P.S: If you couldn't tell, the Fireball_Variable is an integer variable.

EDIT: OH! I just thought of something.. You can have two abilities, initially just have "Channel Fireball", when used, it will be removed, trigger the counting trigger, and add "Release Fireball" ability, when you cast "Release Fireball", remove "Release Fireball", turn off the counting, and add "Channel Fireball" back to the caster! Oh that's a stroke of genius!

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
BarzahdX: Look thru that trigger again. It will only count to 1 no matter how you change the ability.

1. Casts ability.
2. Trigger activates other trigger beacuse the then-option is selected.
3. Trigger in turn count to 1. and nothing else happens if you don't run the other ability aswell. I suggest making it in JASS, that way you can make a small little system for it with timers and all.

The fable spell is about like this:
start by clicking the cast button
2-3 seconds the first "hu-sound" comes.
1 second later another
1second later another
and so on depending on wich level the ability is at.
And on the two last levels it has splash damage aswell:D

I know this beacuse it is my favorite spell in fable TLC wich I installed last weekend beacuse I don't have a Xbox360 and therefore can't play fable 2:(

BarzahdX

Reaction score
What do you mean? Why wouldn't it work? Every second it sets the variable(initially stored as 0) to it's number, and then adds one. So first second: 0 + 1. Second second(laff): 1 + 1. Third second: 2 + 1, etc...

If it doesn't work, PLEASE explain to me why it doesn't? It makes logical sense...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.