Facebook Connect stores user details to my database?

Volkof

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is it true that if we incorporate the Facebook Connect into my website, and users register via Facebook, their details can be stored into my database?

Artificial

Without Intelligence
Reaction score
The details aren't automatically stored to your database, but in order to do anything meaningful (or even allow logging in via Facebook) you need to store at least the users' Facebook IDs in your database. If you don't, when the user logs in via Facebook after registration you have no information to link the login information given by the Facebook API to the correct user account.

There is nothing to prevent you from storing anything you get via the Facebook API to your database. That said, much of the information given by the API may change at any time, so storing it in your database may result in it being out of date if you don't update it (which often requires some level of user interaction). You should keep this in mind when choosing what to store in the database and what to retrieve using the API; for example storing the user's avatar/profile picture on your server might be a bad choice since you could instead just use the API url for the image and thus keep it in sync at all times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.