Fail.o.S (GG_Pope's Arena Compilation)

Should Fail.o.S become a full-sized AoS (as in DotA sized) or stay small?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Well Evergreen Dungeon Crawl has been on hiatus for some time now and I don't think I'll ever get the motivation to get back ontop of it. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to it (not that I think anyone really was).

But recently I've been working on a much, much smaller project that's been alot of fun and alot of good practise to work on. Behold, with it's self-degrading title-ness:

Fail.o.S!
The idea of this map was basically to give me a bunch of trigger practise. However it's moved on to something a fair bit bigger, and now that my friends have started enjoying it and playing it for fun rather than bug testing I've gotten motivated to getting it released and taking it places.

Basically at the moment it's an AoS. Theres a big square at the bottom of the map which is (in future) going to be used as a much bigger AoS with more features, and there may be many other minigames as well involving PvP with the heroes in this map.

Speaking of heroes, there are 12 heroes in this game at the moment and more will come as time goes on. I don't expect to hit a certain limit - I'll just keep making them til I get bored.

The idea of the heroes is that they all have 5 custom spells each, trying to be as diverse and unique as possible. The aim of this is not to show off my 1337 triggering skeelz - most of the custom spells are quite simple. Infact I don't think theres a reason to have extremely complex spells everywhere - a custom spell is a custom spell. Who cares what it is unless it's different from what we've been playing with for the last few years, imo :).

Theres also a bunch of creep upgrades you can get. You can increase damage, armour, health, add new units to spawns, upgrade your towers etcetera. In addition to that you can also spend your money on items. Certain items can be combined by any player, however there are extra powerful ones which can be made by a hero called the Blacksmith, who has a Fuse ability to turn two items into one. He can also take advantage of fused items by using them with his Weaponsmith's Strike ability.

The map is very small (64 width, 32 height) with most of the current map space being taken up by the unused arena at the bottom of the map. This is designed for fast paced and fun gameplay. The game supports up to 12 players (preferred game mode is 3v3).

Anyway I can't really be bothered typing up much more onto this forum post. Have a look at the game yourself below. Note this is an early version and there may be bugs, so send any bug reports to me ;d.

Download: Fail.o.S v0.39d

Below is the crappy free website I've made for this project:

http://www.freewebs.com/ggpope/

Have fun playing! I'll take some screenshots later when I can be bothered xD.

Today's Edit: Wow, it's big now!
I'd like to get everyones opinion on this new version because it's a fairly big change. However, the most important opinion I want from everyone is that of the control points in the middle.

The question:
How do we deal with them while they are neutral hostile?
Once someone captures them its all well and good however at the start when they don't belong to anyone it kind of sucks. Any opinions would be nice :p.

Changelog for v0.39

Code:
[B][U]v0.39a[/U][/B]
[B]CHANGES AND BUG FIXES:[/B]
-If you select your team's gateway it changes ownership to you.
-Items have been separated - all basic items are on one shop, all combined on another.
-Icons in upgrade shops have been rearranged.
-The icon for Sorcery has been changed.
-The price for Stonemasons has been reduced.
-Some tooltips have been changed.
-Costs for all additions to spawns have been increased slightly.
-The sorceress now costs slightly less.
-Sorceresses are no longer effected by upgrades but have more base health.
-You now need Level 1 Melee Weapons and Battle Armour to research Knights.
-Stonemasons now do more damage but their damage type is siege.
-Cost of combineds items not requiring a weaponsmith reduced.
-Druid's Arrow and Ruby Wand have been changed to Universal combines rather than Weaponsmith combines.
-Increased the amount of gold given from hero kills, tower kills and decreased it from unit kills.

[B]NEW CONTENT:[/B]
-New terrain in the map to support the upcoming changes.

-The following new heroes have been added:
 *Red Mage

-The following new upgrades have been added:
 *Catapult Durability
 *Recruit Riflemen
 *Shield Mastery
 *Improved Repair
 *Accurate Shots
 *Sorceress Healing

-The following new items have been added:
 *Studded Leather Armour
 *Serrated Knife
 *Adamantium Halberd
 *Adamantium Ore (for combinations)

[B]BLACKSMITH CHANGES:[/B]
-The tooltip for "Heat Equipment" no longer calls it Growth of the Mind.

[B][U]v0.39b[/U][/B]
-Put the gold from units back up again. It didn't work.
-Sorceresses now sound more feminine.
-Woo, the new big version is in! The big version will take over now, and the small one may be added in in again in the future. If general opinion is that the big version sucks it may be easily changed back to small.
-Fixed a bug involving the way units move after a gateway has been killed.

[B]RED MAGE CHANGES:[/B]
-Protection can now target self.
-Red Mage now has a kill message, although it kinda sucks and is temporary.

[B][U]v0.39c[/U][/B]
-All heroes have had their stats increased to make them more powerful.
-Stats have been made slightly stronger.
-All mana costs have been increased.
-Income from Caravans has been reduced.
-Control Point towers now display kill messages, as do cannon towers.
-Control Point towers now increase in damage and health every 400 seconds.
-Enormous Hammer no longer has a huge restock timer.
-There is now a -give xx yy command to give gold.
-Terrain was raised at the centre of the control points.
-Model changed on Village Watchtowers.

[B]MASTER OF MANIPULATION CHANGES:[/B]
-Compress Energies' has been nerfed.

[B]CORAL LORD CHANGES:[/B]
Coral Pincer's mana cost has remained the same and it's cooldown has been reduced dramatically.

[B]SUICIDAL PYROMANIAC CHANGES:[/B]
-Burning Hands now costs 1 mana to cast.

[B]BLACKSMITH CHANGES:[/B]
-The Blacksmith now has a beard.
-Mana cost for Sparks reduced.

[B]GNOLL CULTIST CHANGES:[/B]
-Shadow Bolt now deals more damage.
-Sacrificial Summoning now deals more damage and is doing Intelligence instead of Strength.

[B]TIDAL DECIMATOR CHANGES:[/B]
-Tidal Strike now deals more damage.
-Raging Waters now deals more damage.

[B]GRAND CAPTAIN CHANGES:[/B]
-Masterful Strike should now do the correct amount of damage.

[B][U]v0.39d[/U][/B]
-All neutral towers now start with 25% health.
-Floating Text no longer shows up when a neutral building attacks you.
-The Multiboard has been temporarily disabled until we find out what's wrong with it.
-Fountains have been removed from control points.
-Potions no longer have a huge delay before they start stocking in.
-Tower upgrades (not including Level 1 Stonemasons or Splash Damage) now effect neutral towers, however they have a reduced effect.
-You no longer get EXP from killing a hero whose owner is not in-game, nor do you get gold. However, the heroes are no longer removed.
-Full Shared Unit control is granted when a player leaves.

[B]SUICIDAL PYROMANIAC:[/B]
-Immolate now displays the correct amount of damage in the tooltip.

[B]CORAL LORD:[/B]
-Coral Shell no longer targets buildings.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Played it and everything seems like speed up (creeps run so fast and are small), though for small map it was pretty action intensive (when I went to pushing line). How do you get gold there, seemed not for kills. like always beginners do, they buy recipe first and items after :D . I liked when you casted something (for me beastmaster rage) how that name popped up. Terrain was even good.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Played it and everything seems like speed up (creeps run so fast and are small), though for small map it was pretty action intensive (when I went to pushing line). How do you get gold there, seemed not for kills. like always beginners do, they buy recipe first and items after :D . I liked when you casted something (for me beastmaster rage) how that name popped up. Terrain was even good.

Yeah the creeps run fast because their scaling value is small. I reduced scaling value/collision size to stop cluttering when you get lots of mobs in a lane, ie when you have every unit research finished.

Gold is gained for kills, however gold gain is quite slow until you reach higher levels. I should probably fix that :p.

Thanks for comments ;d

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Did you play the game? Best if you see how you like it small before you put your opinion in :p.

But anyway, I'm thinking of making two AoSes in one, the small one for when you feel like a faster paced game, and the big one for when you feel like something more complex and possibly more strategic :p.

We've got some cool ideas ready for a bigger AoS if we do do one. Hopefully we can make something unique and fun ;d.

EDIT: For those interested, in the next version there's a new hero! It's a red mage - a hero with a collaboration of both offensive and defensive/support spells. Once we test him we can release this new version.

Theres also a crapload of new upgrades that will be fun to play with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.