Health Far out: Magic mushrooms could have medical benefits, researchers say

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The hallucinogen in magic mushrooms may no longer just be for hippies seeking a trippy high.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the effects of psilocybin, a chemical found in some psychedelic mushrooms, that's credited with inducing transcendental states. Now, they say, they've zeroed in on the perfect dosage level to produce transformative mystical and spiritual experiences that offer long-lasting life-changing benefits, while carrying little risk of negative reactions.

The breakthrough could speed the day when doctors use psilocybin--long viewed skeptically for its association with 1960s countercultural thrill-seekers--for a range of valuable clinical functions, like easing the anxiety of terminally ill patients, treating depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, and helping smokers quit. Already, studies in which depressed cancer patients were given the drug have reported positive results. "I'm not afraid to die anymore" one participant told The Lookout.

The Johns Hopkins study--whose results will be published this week in the journal Psychopharmacology--involved giving healthy volunteers varying doses of psilocybin in a controlled and supportive setting, over four separate sessions. Looking back more than a year later, 94 percent of participants rated it as one of the top five most spiritually significant experiences of their lifetimes.

Last edited:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
like easing the anxiety of terminally ill patients, Already, studies in which depressed cancer patients were given the drug have reported positive results.
"I'm not afraid to die anymore" one participant told The Lookout.
Anyway, that does sounds good.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I like to eat shroomies when everything is going really bad, it normally flips it around and makes me see life in a much more positive, spiritual way. So yeah, I'll believe that it has medical powers. It would be awesome if they could harness it...legally. They do taste utterly horrible though. :)

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I also think the amount of shrooms you eat is irrelevant, because it doesn't have fatal effects.

Heard it from a friend though, no idea if it's true.

To use shrooms in medicine or generally Drugs makes me wonder, if it's all that bad.
I mean, take alot of something and you generally feel bad/ have to face the consequences.

So really... Why make something that's found in nature illegal?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I like to eat shroomies when everything is going really bad, it normally flips it around and makes me see life in a much more positive, spiritual way. So yeah, I'll believe that it has medical powers. It would be awesome if they could harness it...legally. They do taste utterly horrible though. :)

I don't think they taste too bad.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No, I would never do that! You?

Just don't forget, There Is hell a lot of people Drive drunk, or Driving High. That's true facts!

And what is stopping them now, from driving while tripping balls?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I don't think they taste too bad.

The ones I get are bomb, but they're hella paste-y. Lol

No, I would never do that! You?

Just don't forget, There Is hell a lot of people Drive drunk, or Driving High. That's true facts!

I don't drink and drive, but I will smoke and drive. I won't smoke WHILE driving though.

And what is stopping them now, from driving while tripping balls?

I couldn't even manage to get the bitch started while tripping. I always get really trippy with text, like I can't read stuff because letters move, stuff like that. Getting the key into the ignition would be a adventure in it's own, let alone attempting to drive the car. I would never... Lol

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This might be the American herb medicine for depressed patients.

I wonder what do the people in China say about this.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
MMA Cage Fighter Drinks Shroom Tea, Rips Still Beating Heart from his Trainer

rmChg.jpg

A US cage fighter ripped out the heart of his training partner while he was still alive after becoming convinced he was possessed by the devil.

Jarrod Wyatt also cut out his friend’s tongue and ripped off most of his face in a brutal assault that police said looked like a scene from a horror film. They found the 26 year old standing naked over his friend’s body with body parts, including an eyeball, strewn around the blood splattered room.

Wyatt told police he had drunk a cup of tea spiked with hallucinogenic mushrooms and became convinced his close friend Taylor Powell was possessed. According to an autopsy Powell,21, bled to death after his heart was ripped out.

The coroner said Powell had been alive when the organ was ripped out after his chest had been sliced open with a knife.

More.

------------------------
I guess Magic Mushrooms were not the answer for this guy..... just saying.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
And thats why they shouldn't be legal. I've had some bad trips, and when stuff goes bad while tripping, it goes realllly realllllllly bad. heh...

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
This might be the American herb medicine for depressed patients.

Marijuana <3 :thup:

I wonder what do the people in China say about this.

The same thing as the US, because Psilocybin Mushrooms are illegal there too just like they are here. :p

But it should be a good reminder of what can happen again and again.

That is hooooorible horrible logic, sorry. You can not punish the general population for the few that do it that can't handle it. There are people that drink alcohol and kill people, so we should ban alcohol right? There are people that drive cars stupidly and kill people, we should ban cars, right? You can't make a law based on a super low percentage of people that abuse it or use it wrong or can't handle it, because there are 90x as many people that can. Why should those people be punished? They shouldn't.

Welcome to the reason as to why I hate the government and the US, they seem to have the same mindset.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.