Faster/Efficient Code

XeRo13g

Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is confusing.
The main trigger is just a periodic event, set to 1 second.
...And yes, one can say that it catches events in an indirect way but only those that don't need any accuracy.

For example, I wish that when a hero enters a specific rect for the first time, to update the multiboard:
There is a trigger that catches the first time event-unit enters rect and sets a boolean to true.
The main trigger contains this code:
JASS:
if boolean==true then
set boolean=false
call multiboard_update()
endif

The only difference with the first way is that I would use call TriggerExecute instead of call function and consequently I would need to have the 'multiboard update' as a separate trigger than a function over the main trigger.

Don't do this.

This is a million times slower than having individual triggers.

Regular triggers are way faster than this, just trust me on that.

There are other disadvantages of this method like the slow firing rate (which in itself can cause many more problems).

In short: Stick with regular triggers.

How come it's slower, can you please elaborate?

PS. I don't mind if those functions delay a bit since as I've already said, no accuracy is required of those but if by "slow", you mean heavy, then I might need to revert to the first way and break those functions back to separate triggers.

Dirac

Reaction score
What sevion ment it's not related to code speed at all, what he meant is that there would always be a lapse of time between the timer and the actual moment when the event takes place.
Best thing to do, update your multiboard once the event fires, don't use a periodic timer for it.
In my map i update the multiboard every time a unit dies, takes damage or enters the game. Each event updates the corresponding multiboard values

XeRo13g

Reaction score
What sevion ment it's not related to code speed at all, what he meant is that there would always be a lapse of time between the timer and the actual moment when the event takes place.
Best thing to do, update your multiboard once the event fires, don't use a periodic timer for it.
In my map i update the multiboard every time a unit dies, takes damage or enters the game. Each event updates the corresponding multiboard values

To update the multiboard directly from the event (unit enters rect), requires a separate trigger, it's the way I used to have it. Also, this is not a one-time update, each time a hero will enter a new rect, the multiboard will be updated using the same boolean, so this is not a useless boolean that checks every 1 second for the whole game, just for firing once.

PS. By 'multiboard update', I don't mean changing a 1-2 values on the board. It sets up the multiboard using several different values and icons.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
You can use a single trigger for that; use conditional statements to check for a specific rect, then execute the actions associated with that rect.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Considering the possible size of such a script, it's totally possible that it could be slow speed-wise.

The script has to check every single if/then statement before firing anything.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
I mistook the rect enter event for the spell event, I forgot that rects have dedicated events, my bad, sorry.

XeRo13g

Reaction score
The script has to check every single if/then statement before firing anything.

So, in this case:

JASS:
if condition1==true then
   if condition2==true then
   endif
endif

The script would check the condition2 before firing anything, even if condition 1 is false?

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Also this:

JASS:

if false /*the if stop here and will ignore the other conditions*/ and true and true and true and true and true and true and true then
endif

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
So, in this case:

JASS:
if condition1==true then
   if condition2==true then
   endif
endif

The script would check the condition2 before firing anything, even if condition 1 is false?

No. It'll check every single first level condition, though, up to the point Laeiv pointed out. If it hits one false statement in an if argument, it'll stop checking that one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.