Sci/Tech 'Fat' gene found by scientists

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A gene that contributes to obesity has been identified for the first time, promising to explain why some people easily put on weight while others with similar lifestyles stay slim.

People who inherit one version of the gene rather than another are 70 per cent more likely to be obese, British scientists have discovered. One in six people has the most vulnerable genetic make-up and weighs an average 3kg more than those with the lowest risk. They also have 15 per cent more body fat.

Last edited:

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
I guess this is why I eat a ton of fries and don't get fat...

Tonks

Reaction score
So does this mean that they can alter the gene to decrease the difficulty for obese people to become more fit?

I drink way too much soda for what's healthy, and I stay skinny. Part of that is contributed to daily sports and working out, but I find it ironic that it's so easy to stay fit for myself, and others can't help it at all.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
So does this mean that they can alter the gene to decrease the difficulty for obese people to become more fit?

I drink way too much soda for what's healthy, and I stay skinny. Part of that is contributed to daily sports and working out, but I find it ironic that it's so easy to stay fit for myself, and others can't help it at all.

You can't "alter genes" on kids/adults that are already alive and kicking, you can however "manipulate genes" on un-born children.

But this is still at an early stage and is illegal in many countries

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
you can "alter genes", ever heard of ciggarettes? they are good at it

and how would "manipulating" genes on an un-born child be and different then one that is born I ask? you know all the genes are the same starting from the zygote right?

anhow, as to why you can all stay so skinny, its called "metabolism", live it up while you can, it eventually slows down, even for the best of us

to end my rant, I will quote Jay Leno

"Reasearches say that have discovered a "fat" gene, it's called your MOUTH!"

btw the whole 3kg and 15% bf dealy...I find hard to believe, I would like to see their study, their controls, and how the account for all variables in such an experiment

**"The research involved too many people to control for exercise and diet, so it is not yet known whether FTO affects how much people eat or how active they are."

aha, I was right

another reason 60% of America is fat is bacause, no longer do we have to run around and catch our meal, and take out what we need, cook it, etc. but we can just go to Wal Mart, purchase a microwave meal with 1500 calories, and be eating in minutes...

btw, as far as manipulating the genes in adults, studies would be geard more towards finding the singaling transduction pathway that the protein encoded by the gene FTO works in, and trying to either stop that parthway, or block the protein itself

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
they are a mutagen....what did you think caused cancer...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.