Fatal Error for Custom Ability

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
[RESOLVED]
Hello,

I'm perplexed as to why my Wall of Fire spell (which is meant to create a spaced-out triple flame strike perpendicular to the facing angle of the caster) will often cause a fatal error.

Any help appreciated.

Here's the code:
Code:
WallOfFire
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Wall of Fire 
    Actions
        Set wallCaster = (Triggering unit)
        Set CasterPoint = (Position of wallCaster)
        Set TargetPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
        Set Distance = (Distance between CasterPoint and TargetPoint)
        Set wallMidPoint = (CasterPoint offset by (Distance / 1.00) towards (Angle from CasterPoint to TargetPoint) degrees)
        Set wallPoint1 = (TargetPoint offset by 300.00 towards (((Angle from wallMidPoint to TargetPoint) + 90.00) + 0.00) degrees)
        Set wallPoint2 = (TargetPoint offset by 350.00 towards (((Angle from wallMidPoint to TargetPoint) - 90.00) + 0.00) degrees)
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Unit - Create 1 DummyUnit for (Owner of wallCaster) at wallPoint1 facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Add WallOfFireFlameStrike  to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Set level of WallOfFireFlameStrike  for (Last created unit) to (Level of Wall of Fire  for wallCaster)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Blood Mage - Flame Strike wallPoint1
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Unit - Create 1 DummyUnit for (Owner of wallCaster) at wallPoint2 facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Add WallOfFireFlameStrike  to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Set level of WallOfFireFlameStrike  for (Last created unit) to (Level of Wall of Fire  for wallCaster)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Blood Mage - Flame Strike wallPoint2
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_wallPoint1)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_wallPoint2)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_wallMidPoint)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_MidPoint)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_CasterPoint)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_TargetPoint)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
With a quick look, I don't see anything in your triggers that would cause a crash. What are the editor values for the Wall of Fire and WallOfFireFlameStrike abilities?

In particular, I'm curious about your Data - Full Damage Interval and Data - Half Damage Interval values. They should not be 0.

neckface

Reaction score
values are .33 and 1.0, just like spell defaults. strange, right?

Weep

Reaction score
Yes, quite strange.

Have an example map you could post?

neckface

Reaction score
Well, it's a part of my campaign; I'd have to recreate all the dummy units and spells, etc.

So I just tried testing it some more... I was able to cast it as much as I liked on open ground. What causes the fatal error is having a unit in the targeting reticule when casting the spell. (?!?!?)

UPDATE: I recreated my ability using effect-less healing spray as the dummy base. Problem solved. The issue had something to do with using flamestrike as the base ability. Weird issue, but works now.

Weep

Reaction score
What is the base spell of the ability the hero is casting, and what data have you customized?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.