Fatmankev's Build-A-Story Project

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
In no way was I trying to end the project -- just redirect the thought torrent.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Kev sent me a message to check this out and maybe participate. I read through what was being posted and enjoyed where it was going, but never got the chance to add to it [despite having the urge to do so]

I believe that calling off the project came too quick. What was wrong with where the story was going? It opened up with a fighting scene and then the scene was over and instead of possibly taking the story into another direction with this new Dijon [whatever it was/would be] character, we decided that we'd had enough story by fighting and we ready to quit.

Not what I would have done. If no one minds, I might still be able to add to the story, but that is not my choice as I am not the original poster and wouldn't want to beat a dead horse if no one is really interested.

I will send out a lil warning; The "downfall" of this story is what really was the downfall of Role Playing; People were too ready to fight one another and not ready to create an actual story. Keep in mind that fight scenes are well and good, but plot is what a story needs. Maybe it's best if all contributors have some idea of where they'd like to see the story to go PAST the fight scene and, when others change the path, change your idea along with it. That is, after all, what the point to this was, wasn't it? Finding a way to plan and plot together.

Instead, we all reacted and had no idea what we were doing past what we were typing that moment.

The only reason this idea may have failed is that everyone was doing it wrong from the start.

That's my 2 cents :)

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I agree with Seth Cross on a lot of aspects here; it did have potential to turn into something, but due to the way I wrote the rules no one was able to truly develop the story because there wasn't enough space to to do so before another author jumped in. Although Syndrome's one post was a bit longer than I would've liked, I can respect the fact that a complete idea was finished there. I think that's what it needs to be, more than a paragraph or two limit - limit the entry to an idea. Whether it's a conversation between two people, helping to reveal a little about the depths of their characters, or if it's a stroll through town, describing the bustling marketplace and various activities taking place up until he reaches a destination. If people can complete their own idea before handing it off, then they won't be disappointed when someone else takes over and takes it in a different direction, and the thoughts should flow together a bit more completely.

Another thing I feel would substantially help out is if we all did some pre-writing together, deciding the general plot and direction we want the story to take, addressing a few key characters, organizations, locations and other ideas. It seems like the majority of successful writers employ several pre-writing techniques (something I've always seemed to neglect, thus ensuring the petering failure of my past stories), so it only stands to reason that, as a collective, we do the same.

Depending on how you guys feel, I'd say it's acceptable to state where you're headed with your own idea at the end of your post, in spoiler tags. That way, people can consider others' ideas and decide whether they do or don't want to use it, or if they want to use part of it but add their own twist to it.

So I'd like to bring this Build-A-Story project to a close, since the majority of the participants were having problems with the direction in which it was heading, but I think that the idea could be salvageable. So from this point on in the thread, if you all still want to participate, I'd like to change it to pre-writing for the next idea. Ninva, esb, Syndrome and Kaerfnomekop, you all have a say in everything about it. Seth, I'd say you get in next round whenever you have the chance to add to the story, but if you were to make plot and story suggestions for the pre-writing, it's not like I'd chase you off.

So first thing to figure out... what do YOU guys want to write about? Like I said, I always have and always will be a fantasy writer, but the only genre I really have trouble writing is Sci-Fi (you need to know way too much about technology and physics for it to be interesting and based of fact), although I'd be willing to give it a shot if that's the general consensus. And we could also sit here and try to rework the ideas we've already laid down, if that held any appeal to anyone.

Regardless of anything and whether or not this gets picked back up on its feet, I thank each and every one of you that participated for... participating! Can't thank you enough, it meant a lot to me. Thanks.

Btw, sorry for instigating that battle so soon, especially to Ninva; I realize now that you were trying to utilize her in a dialogue that would help develop the story. One thing I tend to incorporate into my writing is an exciting opening scene, and, being the opening scene, the thought of battle seemed far more appealing in my mind than the thought of a dialogue between two characters I'd never met, so I took my opening. My apologies for effin' up your character. And sorry I didn't mention the artifact; one person picked it up, then another started fighting with a sword in one hand and open claws in the other, so I figured I'd leave him at two arms and just act like he forgot it when bitch turned skeleton.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
As with you, I read/write/imagine fantasy stories all the time. I tried a little mystery and a little slice of life, but my main focus is fantasy. I'm up for this idea or another one, and I'm really hoping we do this more often and soon because this was actually really fun. I hadn't been so excited about checking the Writer's Corner before xD

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
As the author of the last section of the story, I can't help but feel guilty. :(

It would be nice to have another similar project. The 1-2 paragraph limit was definitely restricting the flow of the story; I get the feeling that many posts could have been expanded further if more space was granted. Seeing as this project has come to a close, it would be nice to see the many directions it could have taken, but didn't for numerous reasons. Spoiler notes?

I'm perfectly fine with any genre. But morbid horror suits me best, so it would be nice if the next story has some of those elements.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Here's an idea. We have two threads. One thread would be for developing a well-constructed with no organization before hand. This means, we must take an ample amount of time reading the previous person's post to understand where the author is going and how we can contribute. I will be willing to start that thread by writing down Adler's guidelines on how to "listen," which is the same as how to contribute to a conversation. It will be very beneficial to the story.

The next thread will not be a story but a playground for imagination. The main problem was not the people posting here -- it was the idea that the aim of the thread was to make a story. There should be a thread where we can play with writing scenes in some loose conversational form, without completing ideas and only contributing a verse at a time.

Therefore, there will be a thread for those who seriously want to write a story through a unique collaboration process, and there will also be a thread for those who want to write a loose story through a similar process but rather do it through informal colloquy. This allows for imaginations of two degrees of talent to overlap and live independent from each other.

These ideas are much different from a role playing game since both involve authors controlling characters and setting up a world together without much preparation.

How does that sound?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Sounds swell. Willing to participate and decapitate.

DM Cross

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Just an observation, we're getting dangerously close to Role Playing with "OOC threads" and multiple people writing one story...

This is how it begins.

And the above issues are how it ended :D

EDIT

For future reference, everyone who contributed to this project has been given rep by myself. Thanks [again] to everyone for contributing! :)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
There is very little overlap with role play because role play is a genre that requires players. There are no players in this concept.

Hey guys, I'll make a thread tomorrow. I know you're all eager to get started, but I have to write up an essay, read +100 pages, and do that by tomorrow afternoon. Expect a new thread sometime tomorrow evening, US time. I nominate fatmankev with making the loose-informal story thread (and/or starting the formal story thread) -- or continuing here. I feel like he and I have separate ideas on where we'd like to go, and he will probably have a better idea/thread than mine.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Sounds enjoyable. This should be one of the main ideas on the WC - people brainstorming ideas, sharing them and then making their own stories based off what we've created as a group.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Ninva, it seems like you've got a set idea on how this will work that appeals to everyone... if you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could start both of the threads, as I don't want to twist your idea into something you hadn't envisioned. Unfortunately at the moment, I'm trying to tie everything together so that I can start a small business down in the Outer Banks, and a lot of my time right now is being invested into the financials and legal aspects of this venture. I will still participate extensively in the overall project, but it would be easier for me if I didn't have to organize any aspects of it right now... I know that we're all incredibly busy, but I really just can't fully commit to it right now (regardless of being the one who started it - yes, I do feel shame).

But I will happily continue onward however it pans out, and will gladly contribute as needed and to whatever degree. Glad that you guys have had so much fun in the short bit it's been here, I know that I sure did. I only hope that it will become something much bigger and better than before, with everyone's support.

Not sure why, but the account for Fatmankev has had all of its privileges suspended to the point where I can't even view the homepage... guess it's KMilz from now on.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Kev, check your original account again. If it does not work, message me. I'm troubleshooting this, I'm pretty sure it's a change I did on accident. Sorry about that, but let's get it fixed.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
From reading what I did i think its really good idea. It seems that everyone wants to change the story too drasticallythough instead of reading bavk and writing off the previous persons passage. Everyone seemed to be bouncing aroud a lot . Thats my opinion.
I think its a really creative idea though and would definitly be fun to read.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.