Feast from dota? Practically works as an orb effect but doesn't count

nabbig2

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, Feast is a passive ability. Each time the hero (who is melee) attacks, it deals 4/5/6/7 percent of the target's maximum health. The thing that amazes me is that it works perfectly-no waiting or delay, it deals the damage in perfect synchrony with the heroe's attacks. I suppose it uses damage detection.

If we knew how this worked, it would open up many opportunities, like making abilities that don't need to take up an orb slot.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
I've never purchased Dagon or... That armor that does AoE damage (both are items which can damage) as Naxi, but since Naix doesn't have any other damage possibilities except his regular attacks, it doubt you need to make any damage system, again, it depends on how he handled the damage items.

Tom_Kazansky

--- wraith it ! ---
Reaction score
I think DotA use a DDS and triggers all damaging spells so they will know the damage dealt is from attacks or not.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
If we knew how this worked, it would open up many opportunities, like making abilities that don't need to take up an orb slot.
pretty basic stuff actually.

you just need some damage detector / attack detector.

i know that emjlr3's OnAttack Template works well with this.
and Jesus4Lyf's Damage system is about this also.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Dont know how DotA does it in these days, but back in the day DotAs attack detection was really fucked up.

It went like this:

Every time that feast guy attacks, spell creates both trigger and timer. Timer waits for a while so attack can do its damage, and then destroys trigger. Trigger detects if target takes damage from attacking unit, and if it does, it does all the cool actions.

Now, this method sucks. The only reason DotA uses ( or used ) it, is because they have shitloads of object editor spells.

If you want to do it properly, you should do like Tom Kazansky said:

use a DDS and triggers all damaging spells so they will know the damage dealt is from attacks or not

nabbig2

Reaction score
pretty basic stuff actually.

you just need some damage detector / attack detector.

i know that emjlr3's OnAttack Template works well with this.
and Jesus4Lyf's Damage system is about this also.

Hmmm, the map doesn't test so I assume it's because of the recent patch? Is there any way to get it to work?

Manix

Reaction score
I believe that in newgen and newer editor versions there is an event called unit takes damage or something like that, try using that?

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
umm.. question on Vik..

Every time that feast guy attacks, spell creates both trigger and timer. Timer waits for a while so attack can do its damage, and then destroys trigger. Trigger detects if target takes damage from attacking unit, and if it does, it does all the cool actions.
why is this so bad? if i understood the code correctly, this is how emjlr3's OnAttack works.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
It is vulnerable to bugs, since it still doesnt detect whether the damage is made by attack or not. It just detects the next damage caused by that unit after the unit is attacked event. Also you need to delay your dynamic trigger destruction in order to avoid weird bugs and generally do loads of useless extra work.

What Tom Kazanky suggested is just a better option. It actually works and everything.

Yoshii

Reaction score
I believe that in newgen and newer editor versions there is an event called unit takes damage or something like that, try using that?

that doesnt work; as he specified melee only and the take damage stuff work for both

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.