Figuring out attack cooldown with the use of attack speed increaser/decreaser items

Reaction score
Is there a good way to figure out the attack cooldown of heroes? (This is the main question. Below is some information that may help figure it out if no one knows.)

One way I believe that works is from the change of "fast" to "very fast" for the description of a unit's attack speed. When it changes, the unit's current attack speed has just dropped below 1.00.

Assuming that there are no agility bonuses or attack speed modifiers affecting the unit, the attack cooldown can be determined by taking the agility of the unit as soon as its attack speed reaches "very fast" with 1 + (((agility/2) - 1)/100) for games with 2% attack speed per agility (normal map) or 1 + (((agility) - 1)/100) for games with 1% attack speed per agility (maps modified like Dota and such).

For example, in Dota, Morphling has 70 agility. He will have "fast" attack speed. If Morphling gets 71 agility (possibly by leveling and then convert 2 agility to strength), he will become "very fast". Taking 71 agility, 1 + (((71) - 1)/100)=1.70. This is his attack cooldown, which can be confirmed on Dota forums.

Unfortunately this method won't work if the hero starts off with very fast and unable to reduce its agility for maps that are not 2% attack speed. Using attack speed bonus modifiers are not reliable because they won't show the true current attack speed. This means it is possible for a unit with "very fast" in green to attack slower than a unit with a gray "fast".

When the attack speed is colored green, the method cannot be used because the attack speed doesn't follow 1% or 2% per agility. Instead it seems to be a changing value between 2% and 3%.

And that's it for what I have learned but am unable to apply in certain situations. Hopefully someone can use it to figure out how to figure out attack cooldowns without being able to go into world edit to view the values.

duckne55

Reaction score
attack a unit that has high hp and would not attack back. time using a stopwatch the time taken to hit X number of hits.
time/X = attack speed / sec
kinda obvious when you think of it...

Reaction score
That method doesn't work very well. A crucial factor that ruins your method is that there isn't a precise timer.

There is no timer in the map that measures the exact time and I have to rely on my eyes and reflex to record a time. Because I am human, the numbers will change and the calculated attack cooldown will be different every time. Even being a little off will change the calculated attack cooldown. Taking the average won't work well either because that is not the exact attack cooldown.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
That method doesn't work very well. A crucial factor that ruins your method is that there isn't a precise timer.

There is no timer in the map that measures the exact time and I have to rely on my eyes and reflex to record a time. Because I am human, the numbers will change and the calculated attack cooldown will be different every time. Even being a little off will change the calculated attack cooldown. Taking the average won't work well either because that is not the exact attack cooldown.

Modification in order to perform this : Attack Backswing/Cast (etc..) Points set to 0.0 (= instant order on attacks, spells) for a dummy unit with lets say 1-1 dmg and the attack speed you want (with its modifier %) and let it attack a dummy tank unit (lets say 100 hp).

at start, pause all units, unpause the dummy unit (and order it to attack the dummy tank) and start a timer (lets say 10000 seconds even if it won't take more than 10000 seconds to kill it).

when the unit dies, stop the timer, and display the Elasped Time of the timer that started when you ordered the unit to attack. divide it by (dummy tank hp / dmg of dummy unit) and you get your effective attack speed.

this works only if you know the following :
- basic aspd (if the map is widgetized, open the .slk containing the data that, else if not, extract war3map.w3u and insert it on a dummy map and open it)
- aspd variations (from what you know from the map)
- aspd hero variations (from what you know from the map again)

if you want to see which unit attacks the fastest :
- take in account the time it takes for the unit to attack (really it is needed)
- look how fast your unit attacks with a similar unit (to compare)

a grey "fast" would be able to attack faster than a green "very fast" if the last unit takes a longer time to attack (backswing) than the first one for instance (not true in all cases).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.