file not in virtualstore

Kyux

Reaction score
Hey, i had a problem on wow and the support gave me some instructions to fix it. I got up to needing to delete something from the virtualstore, but it's not there.

Kyux

Reaction score
Ok, I re-read it, it makes sense to me. I had a problem on WoW, and asked Blizz for some help (GM's in game) they emailed me some instructions as to what to do. I followed them and got to a step involviing deleteing some files from the 'virtualstore' folder. The files which I was meant to delete weren't there.

The problem somehow solved now but I still want to kow for future reference and for others.

The problem was that when I logged into one certain character on wow wow froze and became non-responsive. the instructions were to remove the 'Cache', 'WTF' and 'Interface' folders. Once I delete them from the WoW main folder, I was told to go to the virtualstore and delete them there too. This is where I found my problem.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Please re-read your post. It does not make sense. Also, can you post some details as to what your 'problem' pertains to, and what instructions you were given?
Kyux is referring to the file virtualization that Vista/Win7 have.

Essentially, if you try to write to a read-only directly (like Program Files), windows instead writes your changes to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ and pretends that you've actually made the changes in Program Files.

It's there for compatibility with older programs (Warcraft 3 included), but it's a dreadfully confusing "feature" of Windows...

Kyux

Reaction score
Yeah, so where do I find it if it's not there but meant to be?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.