Find ways to increase and decrease the range

rinside

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the visit.

Find ways to make the upgrate "Long Rifles" that increase and decrease the range of "Rifleman" (Human) to increase the range of a hero (archer).

It would also be excellent to get the range back down when my I please.

Try typing:

Player - Set the max level of Long Rifles research to 1 for Player 1 (Red)

But it is not.

Thanks again!

inevit4ble

Reaction score
I was told you can only increase range via orb items that engage attack 2 of a hero but I've been looking and in dota the sniper has his ability to increase range passively. Would love to know how to do this 2

rinside

Reaction score
I mean, it's a mystery as they do in Dota Sniper increase your rank?

The hardest thing for me: on my map the range depends on a irem (weapon archer)
Archer I have 3 items and each provides a different range.

This is really hard for me, imagine that not even understand the JAZZ

Thanks for writing!

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
The Long Rifles upgrade actually increases your range, I believe, however, upgrades can not go down. You can not do a Set Upg to 1 and do Set Upg to 0 and have it actually do the second part.
You could try having those upgrades be like, huge in size and have one minus range and increase range but that'd be ugly and make going into certain things in the editor lag and take forever, like anything beneath Scenario->Player Properties. Upgrade Properties would take a loonnggg time to build.

As for doing it in script, impossible.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
You can increase upgrade levels to increase the range of units, but you cannot decrease them. It's a very sad and unfortunate bug of the WE. The only way around it is to use multiple copies of the same unit to simulate increasing/decreasing its range.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
As said above, and as far as I know of there is no way to reduce range. (besides the item adding range and being dropped)

It is possible to increase the range using one of the default Upgrades, however you are unable to reduce this.

Um, you are welcome to search for solutions, i'd love to know if you found a way.
If you have time, try re-upgrading another upgrade of the same type with a lower value or something like that.

Otherwise unfortunately your going to have to base your ability on something else.

--

The hardest thing for me: on my map the range depends on a irem (weapon archer)
Archer I have 3 items and each provides a different range.

well that's not going to be easy. Unless you make the item undropable, but if it is dropped then there isnt (as far as I know of) a way to reduce the range.

This is really hard for me, imagine that not even understand the JAZZ

I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure that using Jass will occur the same problems.

--

Maybe search or just wait till somebody with an idea posts here.
If none do so, then you might want to consider re-creating your item. Perhaps adding attack speed or movement instead, should have a reasonably similar effect. (perhaps consider recreating the unit into another version of it with the same stats but the different version has a different attack range etc)

GL.

rinside

Reaction score
si pense en usar varias unidades con diferentes rangos.
Creo que es la mejor manera, crear otra unidad igual con los mismos items en el mismo lugar. si la unidad deja el item vuelve a cambiar por la anterior.
quiero resolverlo de otro modo dado que la unidad en cuestion tiene muchas variables y deberia realizar un trigger muy complejo para ajustar las variables a la nueva unidad.
Edit :S EN.
if I thought of using multiple units with different ranges.
I think it's the best way to create another unit equal to the same items in the same place. if the item leaves the unit switches back to the previous one.
I solve it otherwise because the unit in question has many variables and should make a very complex trigger to adjust the variables to the new unit.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
I solve it otherwise because the unit in question has many variables and should make a very complex trigger to adjust the variables to the new unit.

I thought of doing this too but would be ridiculously complex to adjust variables, copy items and maintain spell books with all the same spells.

What about disabling the heroes attack and using a "dummy spell" to "cast" an arrow towards the unit which deals the appropriate damage?
It there a way you could make it so the player clicks the "spell" on the target and it continues to fire until the player stops it or unit dies?
I dunno...jst brain storming

EDIT: What about the range switching ability of Troll in dota? Where you switch between range and melee? is the unit getting switched out there?

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
yeah as inevit4ble said above, the idea of shifting all of the variables attatched would be a pain.
i'd suggest you try find another method around it.

What about disabling the heroes attack and using a "dummy spell" to "cast" an arrow towards the unit which deals the appropriate damage?
It there a way you could make it so the player clicks the "spell" on the target and it continues to fire until the player stops it or unit dies?

EDIT: What about the range switching ability of Troll in dota? Where you switch between range and melee? is the unit getting switched out there?

This might cause problems with a/s and cancelling effects etc.

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
"What about the range switching ability of Troll in dota? Where you switch between range and melee? is the unit getting switched out there? "
That is enable and disable attack 1 and 2 I would believe.

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to, I think
Could probably experiment with the existing abilities, I believe. Roots, Crow Form, whatever. I know there's issues with them, like with armor, so you'd need to experiment. Hell, there might not even be issues at all.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
OK here is a very simple test map i was experimenting with.

I just dont know how to add upgrades to a unit with trigger but otherwise it worked.
2 upgrades.
1 gives +600 range
1 gives -600 range

And also the projectile didnt wanna work. but its a starting point.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score

luorax

Invasion in Duskwood
Reaction score
I thought of doing this too but would be ridiculously complex to adjust variables, copy items and maintain spell books with all the same spells.

You don't have to change your variables. AFAIK using Chaos to morph units will not affect your variables but you'll get the new unit.
Or you should try Bear Form. It needs a little bit more work, but you can add it to the unit, order it to use and remove it immediatly after you got the new one.

I'm not 100% sure if it works, but it's worth a try IMO.

Also, about JASS: don't worry, there's no way to do this even in JASS. The only way that'd work and would be 100% flexible is a custom attack system, but creating one is a real pain in the ass.

rinside

Reaction score
Yeas yeas yeas! it is the system!

yeas I have to use the system applied in an item.
When hero pick the item changes to attack 2 with-rank and when hero lose the item changes to attack 1 no-range

I like to have at least 3 attack to assign 3 different ranges but I can not complain ...

I can use? an "orb effect" to activate the attack 2? This unit works with both land and air? I need both attacks can attack ground and air unit

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
You'd need to individually set up both attacks and see if you can switch between them with some sort of ability.
WC3 only handles 2 attack types, unless you want to start getting.. special.

rinside

Reaction score
i can't find an ability to switch between attack types!!!!

Help my please, what ability can use to switch??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.