Health First man to hear people before they speak

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Name: PH
Condition: Badly dubbed sight and sound

"I told my daughter her living room TV was out of sync. Then I noticed the kitchen telly was also dubbed badly. Suddenly I noticed that her voice was out of sync too. It wasn't the TV, it was me."

Ever watched an old movie, only for the sound to go out of sync with the action? Now imagine every voice you hear sounds similarly off-kilter – even your own. That's the world PH lives in. Soon after surgery for a heart problem, he began to notice that something wasn't quite right.

"I was staying with my daughter and they like to have the television on in their house. I turned to my daughter and said 'you ought to get a decent telly, one where the sound and programme are synchronised'. I gave a little chuckle. But they said 'there's nothing wrong with the TV'."

Puzzled, he went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. "They've got another telly up on the wall and it was the same. I went into the lounge and I said to her 'hey you've got two TVs that need sorting!'."

That was when he started to notice that his daughter's speech was out of time with her lip movements too. "It wasn't the TV, it was me. It was happening in real life."

Your brain times both your sight and your hearing to make them sync. If anything were to happen to your bloodflow (i.e., you used to have normal heartbeat, but you're now one full heartbeat late), it is possible that your brain hears first, then your sight comes next. It gives off the impression that sounds are much faster, to the point of being psychic, than the speed of light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zakyath

Reaction score
the article states that his brain processes visual information slowly, so his vision is lagging behind... just another misleading title, of course he can't hear people before they speak.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
everything we see and hear is actually ~80 milliseconds later then it actually happens.
Ah, yeah I've heard something similar.
But only about "seeing something" are delayed by millisecond.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
the article states that his brain processes visual information slowly, so his vision is lagging behind... just another misleading title, of course he can't hear people before they speak.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be really cool. This isn't the first case of senses lagging behind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.