Flight sim 3rd person

Saintbob

Reaction score
Ok guys/gals,
So all this hype about 3rd person/FPS etc and WASD movement got me thinking.
Is it possible to make a Working Flight simulater?

I mean i've created a WASD movement system for a previous map and got that working really smoothly, and thought well if we can control the movement of a unit using WASD then possibly we could do the same with moving a units Pitch, Yaw, Axis etc.

so for example...

Increase/Decrease speed of the flying unit with the Wheel Mouse button (Scroll up/Scroll Down)
Use Q and E to roll the Flying unit left and right
Use W and S to increase decrease pitch
Use A and D to turn the flying unit left and right, or attatch that to the mouse movement.
and Finally have the Attack weapons for the unit linked to the Mouse button 1 and 2

What do you guys think, anyone experimented with this, or think it is actually possible?

Thanks.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
It's possible. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you would go about changing the pitch/roll of the plane/heli. The camera could pull this off no prob (so first person would work), but third person? Not sure yet.

Basically, yes it is possible, but at this time it won't be very aesthetically pleasing.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I Am looking to change the Pitch and Roll My Self. I know Its possible with Changing anmations. but its not the right way to do it. So I am still looking for a way.

In War 3, I Made Units for every 15 degrees for pitch, and didnt have roll for my roller coaster game. But It was a pain and for your project would look terrible I would assume.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
It is actually possible. I have seen this done on youtube, so I know it's possible.

I made a smooth moving camera, but it pops a lot. Especially on a large map/With many doodads. Demo Map is attached. It aint optimized or anything, was just playing a little with triggers.

EDIT:
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Wl8KlrzWrw&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Wl8KlrzWrw&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• TestScriptingNT.7z
    199.5 KB · Views: 208

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
I think he means a Unit.

Yes, but usually you need two parts for a 3d flight sim:
controls and unit.
This one has the controls integrated and just updates the cam every 0.03. It might just as well have a unit.

As for the link you posted: They're sending messages to the actor, which is genius.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.