For Sale: The Next Tetris NUON in Gold Case

iRetroGamer

Reaction score
Hey guys! I posted here recently when I was selling my Nuon collection. Turns out, I DO have The Next Tetris! Found it while going through more games in my collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122076924153

I've listed it. If you interested check it out! I know it's a rare one.

s-l1600.jpg

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
So tonight I learned that the Toshiba SD2300 (apparently N501) will not run Next Tetris without the firmware upgrade. Who knew? :)

More details on this at :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254444-nuon-game-system-talk-discussion/page-3#entry3570141

But I just have to add one thing to that. If I was a brand new Toshiba SD2300 user, and I got this demo disc, and the game didn't play, I would be pissed. And I wonder how many Toshiba users were pissed about that? Hear any stories?

Anyway, here is the disc image I created of the SC2300 Firmware upgrade. Naturally use at your own risk.

Attachments

• SD2300 Firmware Update.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 495

jupeke

Reaction score
Anyway, here is the disc image I created of the SC2300 Firmware upgrade. Naturally use at your own risk.

Greetings,

a new SD2300 owner here from Finland.

Just wanted to ask what burner and what brand media did you use to burn this disc image? This far I have been unable to get my SD2300 to read any of the DVD-Rs I've burnt (it reads all commercial, pressed, games and DVDs just fine). The firmware update disc as well as burnt game discs are being recognised as "GAME" by the player, however after that message on the front panel there's just a blank (black) screen and a text "LOADING" reads on the front panel. After trying to read the disc for a while the player just gives up and ejects the disc tray prompting to insert a disc.

I've produced a bit too many coasters for my taste already and would want to know if there are any tricks involved in burning the disc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Of course it's entirely possibly that the laser of the player is just dying and won't read DVD-Rs because of that; it's a second-hand player after all.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Used Burn on the Macintosh. I used the copy function on Burn to create the image and then burn to DVD-R. Worked quite well. As for the type of discs, not so sure on that one.

jupeke

Reaction score
Used Burn on the Macintosh. I used the copy function on Burn to create the image and then burn to DVD-R. Worked quite well. As for the type of discs, not so sure on that one.
The problem in my case actually seemed to be the low quality DVD-R I was using. After burning the firmware update image file on a high quality DVD-R, I was able to upgrade the firmware succesfully. After the upgrade, the SD-2300 started reading and playing even the copies of commercial games burnt on DVD-R. The game was anyway burnt on one of these high quality discs, but before the firmware upgrade, the player would not launch the game, so a wider compatibility to launch games from DVD-R seems to be one of the doings of this firmware upgrade.

Phipscube

Reaction score
So tonight I learned that the Toshiba SD2300 (apparently N501) will not run Next Tetris without the firmware upgrade. Who knew? :)

More details on this at :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254444-nuon-game-system-talk-discussion/page-3#entry3570141

But I just have to add one thing to that. If I was a brand new Toshiba SD2300 user, and I got this demo disc, and the game didn't play, I would be pissed. And I wonder how many Toshiba users were pissed about that? Hear any stories?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have recently bought an SD2300 and also ordered the new Songbird release of IS3. It arrived yesterday and to my disappointment IS3 doesn't work on the SD2300. It seems to spin up and be detected but then stops with "Disc Error" displayed on the front. I also have just bought an N501 (I have the Nuon Bug I guess) on this unit the laser is almost dead but it loads the original IS3 fine so I know the game is ok. I heared back in the day the Toshiba units had various issues that could in most cases be solved with the firmware update.. Is this one of the faults it will help with?

The SD2300 does however work with some burned games I got with the N501.. one of them is IS3... so i'm really confused! :D The Songbird original doesn't work in the Toshiba, but a burned copy I got does! In the N501 the Songbird original does work... the burned IS3.. not.. HAHA!

I tried to burn the firmware update disc image you posted twice and it isn't detected in the SD2300... I'm using standard Verbatim DVD-R (white ones) and Imgburn in Windows 10 burn speed 2.4x (lowest my writer accepts)

@jupeke what burning program did you use and the specific media?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I would contact Songbird and see what they will do. They might exchange the disc for you in case it is a bad disc.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have recently bought an SD2300 and also ordered the new Songbird release of IS3. It arrived yesterday and to my disappointment IS3 doesn't work on the SD2300. It seems to spin up and be detected but then stops with "Disc Error" displayed on the front. I also have just bought an N501 (I have the Nuon Bug I guess) on this unit the laser is almost dead but it loads the original IS3 fine so I know the game is ok. I heared back in the day the Toshiba units had various issues that could in most cases be solved with the firmware update.. Is this one of the faults it will help with?

The SD2300 does however work with some burned games I got with the N501.. one of them is IS3... so i'm really confused! :D The Songbird original doesn't work in the Toshiba, but a burned copy I got does! In the N501 the Songbird original does work... the burned IS3.. not.. HAHA!

I tried to burn the firmware update disc image you posted twice and it isn't detected in the SD2300... I'm using standard Verbatim DVD-R (white ones) and Imgburn in Windows 10 burn speed 2.4x (lowest my writer accepts)

@jupeke what burning program did you use and the specific media?

Phipscube

Reaction score
I would contact Songbird and see what they will do. They might exchange the disc for you in case it is a bad disc.

It works fine in my N501... so I think its something to do with my SD2300 hence wanting to get the firmware update working

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes firmware update remember that the game was recalled and it was never fixed it had problems running on certain players.

Phipscube

Reaction score
Yes firmware update remember that the game was recalled and it was never fixed it had problems running on certain players.

Yes I read how it was recalled as it didn't play on some players, mainly the N2000. I know some people including doctorclu have it working on the SD2300 and some not... so i'm hoping the firmware update will help, I just need to make a properly burnt disc, hence my question about the method of buring used and specific media.

Whats really confusing is that I have a copy of IS3 that came with my N501 that boots fine on my SD2300! So I wonder if its hacked? Or a different revision? Its mysterious!

ToshibaNuon

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I tried that too but no luck. I think i'm burning the disc wrong or my media isn't working with the Nuon. I burnt the files as instructed in a folder called NUON to a Verbatim DVD-R in imgburn. 2x speed ISO9660 Mode 1 / 2048..
Have you tried using a software like isoburn?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.