Crime For the Simple Crime of Smoking Marijuana, the Government Ruined This Man’s Family Forever

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
For the simple crime of smoking marijuana, Texas man Joshua Hill's family is destroyed forever.

The government took Hill's two-year old daughter away from him because he was caught smoking pot while she was asleep. But under the watch of Child Protective Services (CPS), Hill's child was abused and eventually murdered by foster parents.

Hill told KVUE television, “We never hurt our daughter. She was never sick, she was never in the hospital, and she never had any issues until she went into state care."

The floor is now open for heated discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
ripping a child from a home.
Poor kid, They shouldn't have done that straight away. But they should blame the freaky murders!

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You know, I never hear about the kid that CPS gave a promising new life to. Is that a thing that happens?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Look thats a sad story and all. but I think its a bit far to blame someone dieing under child care to someone using a illegal drug.

I agree that the foster parents need to prison at the least.

I am not sure where i stand on this, If i think someone taking illegal drugs (No Matter what it is, i dont care if it does nothing) to be rising a 2 year old. but on the other hand foster care is hard on kids and has risk as this extreme example.

But For a parent to be taking a drug they know can get them in huge trouble and potenialy mess up there lives if caught. (assuming the drug doenst hurt them). That sounds pretty darn stupid.

If I had kids I wouldn't take drugs even if M&Ms were illagial if i knew that i could lose my livelihood and really mess up my life if caught by cops.

If i reallly thought the drug was that good i would protest and vote agisnt it, or move. But I wouldnt take that kind of risk on my family. I think the parents that did this were taking way to much risk for too little gain.

But Its a really sad story about what happened to the child. And I do agree that's a bit extreme for a single case.

Thats why freinds i have that even speak of it, I think are so stupid. because they can hurt there lives so much if the law gets involved. Its just not worth it. Protest if you want. But otherwise, there taking such a big risk. I think its just stupid of them.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
My brother used to smoke pot with his wife while their children napped and slept. They would wake up and need attention, love, and consideration and get two messed up parents that couldn't take care of them. My niece used to have marks from where her mother "pinched" her and was quite traumatized on several occasions. I don't think that doing drugs at home when you should be watching your children is good practice. Children need parents that are aware and awake and capable of caring for their needs. I would not leave my house for more than a few minutes while my son sleeps because I would not want him to wake up in an empty house; therefore, I would not do drugs and alter my state of mind while my son sleeps either.

I think that under certain circumstances child custody by the state is a necessary intervention. It may have been the case in this situation...

The real story here is that a child was murdered. Bad people come in many shapes and sizes. These bad people were acting as foster parents. These bad people need severe punishment for what they did. This is horrid.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
That was very sad to read.

However, I must say that the article has a pretty awful title. It shows clear bias against the government for imposing such a rule, and gives the impression that it is the government's fault, rather than the foster parents.

The article also is a bit unclear:
Was Hill's "crime" of smoking marijuana worse than the state's prescription of removing his child from the home and placing her into a foster system with as much as 10 times higher risk of abuse?

As much as 10 times higher than what? Higher than parents who smoke marijuana? If it is comparing it to parents in general, then that is really no surprise.

I can agree that the foster system could be improved. However, the article points towards some oppressive government, and I don't agree that that is the lesson to be learned from the article, even if that is what the father thinks.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Unless the child is directly harmed and (or) abused it should never, EVER be taken from it's parents.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
most-dangerous-animal-world-human-shark-pic.jpg

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I like your post, Rover. I don't necessarily agree with you but your reasoning is sound and I respect your opinion on the matter. Hard to argue that the benefits outweigh the risk.

mushroom911

I think I should change my avatar
Reaction score
Child protective services are a threat to muh chilluns, we should ban high-capacity assault CPS' with shoulder things that go up.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an extreme case travesty of justice. I have actually brought this topic up a few times in RL conversations this week. There should just be no way this should ever happen. The law should be set so this would never be a grey area. Kids should not be taken away from a parent because they smoked pot. It does not make them a bad parent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.