CTF Forest CTF

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Found a tooltip mistake:

Code:
Learn Ba|cffffcc00t|[COLOR="Red"][B]r[/B][/COLOR]tle Cry - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]

You're missing that 'r', in all Battle Cry's tooltips.

Bonus: a replay with computers :p. It was pretty stupid at a moment that I was the one carrying the flag, while all AIs just waited in their own base for the other to attack xD.

Attachments

• CTF.w3g
    96.4 KB · Views: 317

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
I must say, it is very nice.
:D:D:D:D:D
Five out of FIVE smiley faces from me.

However, one thing you could do (I'm not sure if anything else has mentioned this beacuse I didn't read through all the posts):
When you pick up the flag, make it into a buff. Otherwise, you would have to drop an item each time you want to get the flag.

Other than that, it seems awesome.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
However, by that way, it can become harder to hand the flag to another player ;). And also, do you get the time to fill up the slots? :| I had 3 full slots only after finishing the game.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
The idea of using abilities/buffs instead of two items for the flag is a good one, but I'm not quite sure if I'm going to. Smith_S9 has some good points as well.

I'm actually bumping this post to let you guys know that the project is still coming along, it is just going through a large overhaul: from a disorganized GUI-JASS hybrid, to a fully organized, fully vJASS group of systems.

Also, a few questions for any testers:

I currently have a Camera system in the map, that allows you to rotate the camera, zoom in/out, lock it to the hero, create a first-person camera, and use the arrow keys to look around with a locked/following camera.

Commands:
  • -follow - the camera is locked to the hero and rotates to follow him, similar to a first person camera
  • -lock - the camera locks position on the hero (use -unlock to free the camera)
  • -angle - changes the angle of attack of the camera
  • -zoom - changes the distance to target of the camera
Did you ever use any of these commands?
Would you find use for any of these commands?

Thanks guys!

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
FLAG

Smith_S9 said:
However, by that way, it can become harder to hand the flag to another player ;).
Yeah, I suppose so...

However, I just got an idea! (to aid in making the flag a buff)
When you press Esc, it causes you to select the Flag Transferer (a special unit that cannot be seen/destroyed). The Flag Transferer has two abilities; Transfer and Drop.
Transfer - a unit-target ability that causes you to transfer possession of the flag to an allied Hero.
Drop - causes you to drop the flag.

Rules:
1. You cannot select the Flag Transferer if you don't have the Flag buff.
2. After using either Transfer or Drop, you lose selection of the Flag Transferer, the camera is shifted to the position of your Hero, and you select your Hero.

Smith_S9 said:
And also, do you get the time to fill up the slots? :| I had 3 full slots only after finishing the game.
Hmm... a valid and good point. However, I used greedisgood 100000 and bought the best items. But, as you mention, it probably won't happen when playing without cheats.

COMMANDS

Darthfett said:
* -follow - the camera is locked to the hero and rotates to follow him, similar to a first person camera
It could be nice, but I probably wouldn't use it.
Reason: Objects can get in the way of your view, thus making it difficult to see things, and also difficult to select other places to move to. Using arrows keys may cause delays.

Darthfett said:
* -lock - the camera locks position on the hero (use -unlock to free the camera)
Naah.
Reason: It would cause delays if you want to unlock, or use the arrows keys.

Darthfett said:
* -angle - changes the angle of attack of the camera
Yes, very useful.
Reason: Better than scrolling with mouse if you have used -zoom.
Also, you could change it to be -angle <degrees>. Degrees would be between 0-90. (or 180 as well if you want..?)
(You could have it in radians if you want? But would the general population that play Warcraft 3 know about radians? No, probably not.)
0 would be looking horizontally, and 90 would be looking down vertically. (And 180 would be loooking at everything upside down..? :nuts: [IDEA! make a mode called Flipped - everything is upside down!])

Darthfett said:
* -zoom - changes the distance to target of the camera
Yes, I would definately use that.
Reason: Could come in handy if you want to view a large area. Would work well with -angle. (Would work even better with -angle <degrees> :D)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Commands:
  • -follow - the camera is locked to the hero and rotates to follow him, similar to a first person camera
  • -lock - the camera locks position on the hero (use -unlock to free the camera)
  • -angle - changes the angle of attack of the camera
  • -zoom - changes the distance to target of the camera
Did you ever use any of these commands?
Would you find use for any of these commands?

Actually I just checked the camera commands in this map, to see how they go. I usually don't change the normal WCIII camera because I got used to it and I find it as the best choice, while playing custom maps. Besides, I'd loose time trying to change the camera :p.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Just posting this to let you guys know a little bit of what's going on with the map.

Basically, it's undergoing a huge overhaul.

The map no longer has any GUI parts to it, and it's been restructured and reprogrammed to be object oriented.

The coding now revolves around treating players (and everything about them) as an object (including their heroes, their statuses, whether they are playing, if they're being controlled by a bot, etc). I have also coded the map so that the teams are treated as objects as well. These contain the team's flag, the enemy's flag, etc.

These sections are both nearly finished, with minor bugs I have yet to work out.

Currently, I am just beginning work on the third section, Hero Types. These objects will contain information that make the AI intelligent, including how the AI should react if it sees an enemy, what spells to use if it is injured, etc.

Once I have this set in place, BETA testing will begin!

Just to give you guys something new to look forward to, the Mage's Mana Shield has been replaced by "Chronoburn." This channeled spell causes the target to move at an extremely slow speed, while burning it.

This ability gives the mage a great advantage against enemy melee heroes.

jaybles169

Reaction score
Idk if the project died or what but, i do have a suggestion. The map was cool, but i say maybe set all skillset hotkeys for each hero to q, w, e, r, to make it way easier to cast spells and what not. I played as the bug warrior guy and the holy light hotkey and storm bolt hotkey were the same -_-

But anyway, cool map!

Darthfett

Reaction score
Idk if the project died or what but, i do have a suggestion. The map was cool, but i say maybe set all skillset hotkeys for each hero to q, w, e, r, to make it way easier to cast spells and what not. I played as the bug warrior guy and the holy light hotkey and storm bolt hotkey were the same -_-

But anyway, cool map!

The map is not dead, but simply being rebuilt from the ground up. I'm incorporating AI as well as redoing all of the spells to suit each hero.

You're right about the hotkeys, I'm planning on doing something similar. In a version just after the posted one I fixed all the hotkeys, but I was unable to post it because of the rest of the map's code being incomplete.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
uhmm, I was trying to test your map, but I couldnt start it in wc3? :S
(there were no teams or players to see)
(got newest patch)

TomTTT

Reaction score
Get the newest version here!

ahh... damaged version? i try to click it in-game when you choose a map and it simply showed the details of the last chosen map. cant stat, cant even see the forces. Anyway i really wanna play it cause it sounds awsome ;)
I'll now try the attachment instead of that link. hope it's different.

Darthfett

Reaction score
ahh... damaged version? i try to click it in-game when you choose a map and it simply showed the details of the last chosen map. cant stat, cant even see the forces. Anyway i really wanna play it cause it sounds awsome ;)
I'll now try the attachment instead of that link. hope it's different.

It may be working only for pre-1.21b, I don't remember if it used CSData in the version uploaded. If it does, it would be a quick fix to replace it with an attachment system not using the return bug.

On a side note, I'm in the process of uploading this project to github, and will be making it open source with version control.

It's not currently in a running state, as lots of things are broken and in mid-transformation, however.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Status Update

Here's the situation: I've very recently moved the development version to GitHub. GitHub is a web-based hosting service for projects that use the Git revision control system. This means ANYONE can now help out!

Q. I want to help make a cool Capture the Flag game!
A. Great! Feel free to post, and I'll do my best to help get you started. As long as you're willing to learn how to use git, you can contribute as much or little as you want.

Q. Why all of a sudden is this Open Source?
A. It was always my intention to keep this open source. The real problem was tracking changes in collaborating with other people. GitHub automates this, making it a breeze to collaborate.

Q. How can I help?
A. At the home on GitHub, there is an 'issues' section, which should list some of the problems (big or small) that anyone can work on. Once you get access (by creating a GitHub account and posting here), you can checkout and work during your own time. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.