Forget The iPhone, Let's Support This Thing

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score

At some point, smartphone ownership can start to feel like a runaround. You buy the phone with the new! best! features! and a year later, Apple (or whoever) reveals a newer phone with the newer! bester! features! and your phone becomes obsolete. Enter Phonebloks, a brilliant modular concept phone.

The concept, from designer Dave Hakkens, is of a totally modular phone with separate "parts" that can be swapped out, removed, or upgraded, depending on the needs of the user. When they make a faster chip or a better screen, you could simply buy a new chip or screen without replacing the entire phone. If you just want a lot of disk space or battery juice and don't care about your camera, you could sacrifice the one for the other. Smart!

And sure, it may be unrealistic. It doesn't seem to be designed with profitability in mind, which would make it a tough sell for cell phone manufacturers. And I have no idea if it would even be possible to engineer something like this. (Though if they can put a freakin' fingerprint scanner on an iPhone, surely someone could make something like this work?)

But whatever, this idea is too appealing to ignore completely. Why not explore it? See what happens? You don't have to give them money to support the idea; all they ask is that people go to Thunderclap and lend them some social media push. And what's the harm, really? Phonebloks may never amount to anything, but you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Like putting together a beast of a stationary computer, you could do the same with your phone.
I approve.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem with a design like this is always the overhead. You are bound to lose performance and efficiency once you have interchangeable parts.
You have to keep in mind, even our desktop computers dont work this nicely. You can not put any kind of processor on any kind of motherboard. Same goes for the graphics cards.
The hardware manufacturers dont work together close enough to make something like that happen.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Now this is a great idea, if they really get through with this "design", I'll going to get one for my entire family and all my friends, we NEED THIS, NOW.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Too bad the smartphone industry is too much like the car industry. People relate to the branding of their phone ... and branding alone is worth a fortune. Companies will want to stick to developing said brands because they like easy money.

Well, not easy, there's work involved. But your gains are huge.

Solu9

Reaction score
Apparently his downfall was his obsession with fashion, and the inability to understand there are more than looks in this world!

Solu9

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how it was before. The electronic and the Phone would be so much larger in size and ugly. Wouldn't it?

Again with the looks...
Give it time man. The first mobile phones weren't exactly super models.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Good bye, TH.net.
This is the last straw. FireCat's foolishness has gone from entertaining to frustrating. This is the day I leave.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
LOL ^
Again with the looks...
Give it time man. The first mobile phones weren't exactly super models.
I do give it time. But I can't see it working, and the looks well, let's see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.