Defense Formation Defense

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Hi all! This will be the second map I actually intend to complete and I come seeking advice and testers!

Introduction:

I've uploaded a current version of my map, which is NOT TO BE HOSTED YET! I simply want some people to download it, test it and leave feedback. I'm looking for bugs, typos, and new ideas for how to spice up the Tower Defense half of the game. I will keep resubmitting the map so it's always up to date.

If you wish to report a bug, either report here or email me at [email protected] or send my account a private message. Please include the number of blacksmiths/fletchers you had when the bug took place. Whether the issue involved a unit you built or one you started with, which player you were and finally what leader you and the other players were.

This game is, in a way, two games in one. People who enjoy tower defenses will be pleased to hear that one section of it is a tower defense, the other half is similar, yet vastly different and I've never played a game quite like it before. My hope with this project was to create a game that actually required strategy instead of "oohh me got most expensive thing in game...me win". I feel that I have succeeded in the more unusual side of the game, but I still require ideas for the tower defense side of things.

Here is my current plan:

-Increase the length of the game to either 40 or 50 waves
-Add an optional tutorial (I feel that it's rather hard to grasp the concept if you've never played before)
-Add team vs solo play (possibly)
-Balance things a little more
-Making the terrain easier on the eyes. Right now it seems too utilitarian

Mini Game Manual

Leader Abilities:

Leader Abilities can be used once per round, but do not affect mercenaries.

Human Leader: Regeneration - Heals every unit you own for (4x the current level) health every second for 10 seconds.
Orc Leader: Merciless - Any wounded non-boss unit that the Orc Leader attacks dies instantly.
Undead Leader: Two Strikes, You're Out - All units are granted a second life.
Night Elf Leader: Night Vision - Doubles the attack damage of archers at night time (roughly half of every round)
Troll Leader: Big Bad Voodoo - Adds 100 armour to all of your nearby units for 10 seconds.
Gnoll Leader: Promote - Adds a permanent +40% damage boost to a single unit.
Dwarf Leader: Hammer of Fate - Calls down a massive hammer on enemy troops and deals a massive amount of damage (1 hits units up to level 15 or so)(gets stronger with each wave).
Goblin Leader: Mechanized Joints - Increases attack and movement speed by 50% for 30 seconds.
Blood Elf Leader: Absorb - Steals health from all enemy units around the Leader and uses the stolen health to heal your own troops (gets stronger with each level).
Tauren Leader: Daze - Any unit within a certain range of the Leader will be permanently dazed and will move 50% slower and take double damage until they die.
Nerubian Leader: Spirit of the Hive - Adds bonus armour to your units (eg: if you have 14 non-mercenary unis they all get +14 armour).

Unit Abilities

Every unit type in the game (Except for the Tauren Spirit Walkers) have one main ability as well.

Gnoll Macemen: Thunder Flail - Two streams of lightning shoot from the base of their flails and do 70 damage to two different targets.
Nerubian Webspinner: Fiery Webbing - The Webspinner wraps fiery webs around an enemy with each attack. The webs slow enemies by 50% and do 75 damage a second for 3 seconds.
Axeman: Axe Toss - Hurled axes have a 50% chance to hit hilt first. Hilt first hits do 35 damage and stun for 3 seconds, while blade hits don't stun and do 300 damage.
Goblin Shredder: Anti-Air Missiles Shoots three rockets into the air. Each will hit a different air unit for 200 damage.
Archer: Fire Arrow - Fire Arrows explode upon impact, reduce armour by 3 and do 50 damage a second for 10 seconds.
Troll Berserker: Troll Rage - Increases the Troll Berserker's attack rate by 50% but increases the damage he recieves by the same amount.
Footman: Wall of Steel - Makes the Footman put his shield up, which deflects 50% of all attacks for 10 seconds.
Pikeman: Horizontal Slice - The Pikeman's next attack will hit several opponents.
Longbowman: Magical Arrow - The Longbowman stops attacking for 3 seconds. After this period of rest he'll shoot a magical arrow that does 1000 damage at any enemy unit (range is infinite)
Skirmisher: Amentum - Throws a javelin through enemy units, giving the Skirmisher the power to destroy an entire line of enemies.
Musketman: Grenado - Throws a primitive grenade at enemies, which blow up to deal 650 damage to anybody in a small area.

These are the primary abilities for each unit, but several of them have more than one ability.

Mercenary Abilities

Every mercenary is equipped with a powerful ability that does not require any research.

Goblin Bombers: Self-Destruct - Orders the Goblin Bombers to move to a targetted location and explode, dealing 10% of the affected units' max health.
Gnoll Crossbowman: Multi-Shot - The Gnoll loads several quarrels into his crossbow at once. His next attack will hit multiple targets.
Spectral Phantom: Terror - Reduces the attack damage of all nearby enemies by 25% for 5 seconds.
Tauren Underling: Seismic Snort - Deals 400 damage in a line. Only goes 400 range away.
Orc Shaman: Infection - Infects a unit with a disease that quickly spreads among the enemy ranks. Affected units will take 75 damage per second for 7 seconds.
Blood Elf Outcast: Drain - Forms a magical bond between the Outcast and a target. He will drain 1000 life from them over 5 seconds.
Nerubian Scorper: Poison Shower - Drops globs of acid onto a targetted location. The poisonous effect of these globs deals 150 damage a second for 7 seconds.
Dwarven Chopper: Dual Launchers - Shoots two missiles at an area. Although the missiles are ridiculously innaccurate, they deal a whopping 1200 damage each.
Lordaeron Pirate: Spoils of War - Loots 1-7 gold off a corpse.
Mountain Giant: Titanic Strength - The next target the Mountain Giant attacks will be killed instantly and will go flying backwards, damaging other units as it goes. (Obviously, boss units are immune)
Troll Ninja: Ceramic Grenade - Blinds enemy units, causing them to miss 90% of their attacks.

Cavalry Abilities:

Cavalry also have abilities now (since version 1.6)!

Cavalier: Flatten - Cause 500% additional damage to archers while trampling.
Wolf Rider: Claws of Fury - Causes double damage while trampling any unit.
Mounted Mage: Flare - Dazes everybody in a small area around the caster (see the Tauren leader power above).
Huntress: Multiple Lacerations - Each attack can hit up to four targets.
Knight: Chivalry - Increases nearby friendly unit's attack damage by 50%.
Dragonhawk Rider: Screech - Stuns all nearby enemies for 5 seconds.
Archmage: Shock - Any unit previously hit by an Archmage takes 400 damage.
Kodo Beast Rider: Consume - Instantly kills an enemy non-boss unit and heals the Kodo Beast Rider for 200 health.

Basic Tips:

-Your defenders(lumber) represents both the number of lives remaining AND a resource. So keep in mind that when you spend defenders you're also spending lives.

-The game is split up into two sections. One side is the tower defense, which is still in its early stages, and the other is a unit/formation defense...more on that later

-On the tower defense side, you will be required to build or upgrade towers that serve two purposes. First, they have to kill enemies before they enter your village and kill a defender(take a lumber :p) and second, they heal refugees that are mixed in with the enemy units. When villagers enter your town, they grant you an extra life(add one lumber). Towers can only be built by construction teams on the 15 grassy locations.

-The Command Center is where you build pretty much everything. When the game first starts, you will be looking at your Command Center and will be able to choose any one of 13 different leaders. After selecting your leader, the Command Center will allow you to purchase units and upgrades for both sides of the game.

-If you're Red or Teal you'll want to pay attention to your army, which is located to the West of your Command Center. Purple and Blue will also want to check their armies but theirs are to the East of their Command Center.

-To control your army, build merceneraries by clicking on Unit Positions or click on your servants/rock throwers/ etc; and purchase their upgrades. Don't neglect your leader's abilities and formation options.

-There are three main formations: Four Line, Wedge, and Box. Box formation grants a 50% damage boost versus cavalry. Formations will always place the stronger units in front of the weaker ones. Archers, such as longbowmen, will always be placed behind a wall of close range fighters.

-Mercenaries are powerful fighters, useful for people that are low on defenders and time, but high on gold. In order to purchase mercenaries, you need to acquire a mercenary leader from your Command Post. The mercenaries available to you depend on the players in the game. For instance if the four players are human, goblin, troll, and nerubian, the mercenaries unique to those four leaders will be available (Lordaeron Pirate, Goblin Bombers, Troll Ninja, and Nerubian Scorper).

-All abilities recharge at the beginning of each round.

I think that pretty much covers it. Thank you and feel free to post constructive criticism! :)

Version History
-Major Rebalancing (all versions)
-Halfed the number of total refugees (v1.1)
-Added Workers to Command Centers (v1.1)
-Added 1 more refugee per round (v1.2)
-Added two more upgrades for the Priests (v1.2)
-Added the Dismiss ability to Mercenaries (v1.2)
-Re-triggered the second Skirmisher ability (v1.3)
-Command Centers are automatically selected after you choose your desired difficulty (v1.4)
-Leaders now get teleported to the front of your army when they're built (v1.4)
-Added line damage to Springalds and Ballistas (v1.4)
-Added Sanctuary, and Bastion buildings (v1.4)
-Added wedge bonuses to cavalry (v1.5)
-Added the "Perform Miracle" ability to Priests (v1.5)
-All cavalry units now have abilities (v1.6)
-Construction Teams can now build Stables (v1.6)

List of bugs found and fixed so far:
-Spirit of the Hive was not working properly for the Nerubian Leader (v1.0)
-Units were not being hired properly for anybody but Red (v1.0)
-Magic Representatives were having trouble if two or more were used on the same tower (v1.1)
-The Night Elf Glaives were skipping the Ballista upgrade and going straight to Mangonel (v1.1)
-Workers were causing some balancing issues and frequently disappeared from the Command Center (v1.1)
-Mercenaries were losing their Mercenary Captain requirement after death (v1.1)
-Command Centers weren't correctly updating the available Unit Positions after a mercenary was built (v1.1)
-Fixed the Random Leader problem (v1.2)
-Removed Defender Cost for choosing Random Leader (v1.2)
-Command Centers were not properly displaying the available amount of priests once you upgraded to field medics or surgeons (v1.3)
-Dismiss was occassionally returning 0 gold because of a real vs int comparison mix-up (v1.3)
-Cleric's Heal ability was in the wrong square in the UI (v1.3)
-Mercenaries were not refreshing priest build variables properly when built (v1.4)
-Some hotkeys were not working properly (v1.4)
-Level 26 monsters have had their damage halfed and speed doubled. (v1.4)
-The Obsidian Destroyer was having animation problems (v1.5)
-Axemen and Pikemen were having trouble with their second upgrade bonuses (v1.5)
-Some tooltips still had default Warcraft write-ups (v1.5)
-Anti-Air attacks were not working for Ballistas and Springalds (v1.5)
-Box formation wasn't helping people kill cavalry after level 20 (v1.5)
-Bastions, Bunkers, and Turrets were not refunding money properly (v1.5)
-The Knights could see the Blunt Impact ability (v1.6)
-Springalds and Ballistas had visible uproot abilities (v1.6)

If you have played the game please leave feedback, even if you didn't enjoy it.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Really interesting game. Its just that I suck at it XD
Would love to give more comments but I didn't really play it properly. Got pissed and cheated at level 3 or something. Its too hard to get defenders :(

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Haha lmao. I do want it to be hard, just stick with it. Each level has more defenders than the level before, so even by wave 10 you have as much as you could ever need ;).

[Edit]: Just made defenders less plentiful but more consistent

For anybody who's having trouble, I recommend choosing the dwarven leader. While I feel that most of the teams are fairly balanced, the dwarf is very simple to use and has a strong late-game.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
As anybody who reads the first post thoroughly can tell, I have already made some significant updates. If anybody is interested in testing the map, please make sure you get an up-to-date version. I always keep the one in this thread reasonally well updated. Once I make enough changes to justify another version, I upload it here right away.

I'm currently working on adding a bunch more towers in the next update. I've made quite a few changes that I think will benefit the game. If you have any ideas for more tower upgrades, please don't hesitate to let me know.

[Edit]: Just uploaded 1.4

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.