Forum skin

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
As you may have noticed already (yeah, sure...), there's a "choose a style" box at the bottom of every page.
The "new" one is somewhat still experimental...

Known "features":
- most smilies look rather weird as they are poor quality and not really usable on anything other than (nearly) white backgrounds
- same for rep icons
- and some I probably missed

Anyway, features and other feedback are welcome.

Yours,
AceHart

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
It looks pretty good. BUT!

notice the grey around the quick reply and post reply? Its such a sudden change. You should make it matcch the background of the buttons (i.e. Bold, Italic, Underline, code tags, etc...)

:) <3 :thup: :thdown: :( :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :banghead: :shades: :nuts:

Just wanted to see the smilies.

Also, go to the User CP and look at the REP icon things (green/grey/red) they have white corners. (Similar to smiles)

And I love the Star 'user is online'

edit:

It is also missing the 'Your first stop technical support resource' from the banner.

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
It's pretty sweet, though I don't think I'll ever get used to this one :D.

Is it possible to make the skins just different like color templates of the original..?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
The "artist" behind this theme should be thrown onto the street and shot. Even Anman64's green "thing" would have looked better. :nuts:

The colors don't get along at all, the links are too bright compared to the text itself and the overall graphical elements, the title bars are laregely inconsistent (red/black) or lack contrast (black on black), ...

Back to the original one, this one hurts my eyes.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good, apart from the following things:

• Reputation bars look weird, because they do not have a transparent background and their background is the same colour as the old skin
  • BB code buttons do not all look the same. For example, some have the old background and some have a darker background, for the new style.
  • I think the reply/edit/post box should be a darker colour, because it seems to stand out too much with the darker background.
  • As said before, the smilies don't look so good because of the white ring around the edge of them.
  • If you attach a .w3x file to a thread, it does not display the .w3x mini image (the blue map), but it just says w3x. (Don't know if this is on purpose)
  • I don't think the new logo looks as good as the old one. It just seems to bland and the red bar under the logo goes under the text at the top right of the screen and I don't think that looks right.
  • The chat page doesn't look so good with the new colours.
  • I have just seen that you can't barely see the Reason for Editing at the bottom of the box for editing a message.

Now for some nice things:

• I like the new stars for the rating of a thread. You can see the greyed out stars aswell as the normal ones.
  • cat_back.gif
    this gradient looks pretty good I think. Apart from on the side-nav bar, they need to be about 1-2px bigger, because they do not quite reach the edges.
  • All the new post, reply, quote and all other buttons like that, look very good with the colour scheme.

I think that's all for now, I will check other things later.

Atreyu

One Last Breath.
Reaction score
Aside from that.. I'll try creating a good rep icon.. Gif/Jpeg?

I'll also try changing the icon of thehelper above to make it blend.. But I won't change the PC icon.

duyen

Reaction score
Somehow this feels like a slap in the face.

That blue text in the logo needs to go.

And why don't you make something like red bars for positive rep and purple or black for negative. I could make them but I highly doubt you would use something a user made.

The dots on the side weren't replaced with a red dot.

Oh and the little post icons (
thread.gif
) are used in other forums including thearea.org

The facivon was not changed.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
notice the grey around the quick reply and post reply? Its such a sudden change. You should make it matcch the background of the buttons (i.e. Bold, Italic, Underline, code tags, etc...)
That, and all the text is still white in many places, which looks bad.

Other then that, I would use it if the bugs like smiles\rep\logo where fixed, probably.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
dark red, grey, black.... AWESOME!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
An Amatuer Critique:

Original Theme (The Helper Technical Support Forums vBulletin 3 Style):
1. Basically, it's the easiest recognizable theme of all. No wonder vB sure is popular among people.
2. Surely it blinds eyes, especially in a dim-lit room.
3. Well suited for a brightly-lit room. So, for office uses, please use the original theme. Else, wear sunglasses at all times when you're viewing the forums.

Unreal Theme:
1. There's a large room for improvements.
2. Best for a dim-lit room. May cause strains in the eyes, possibly hurtful.
3. Reputation blocks in dark red or a mix shade of gray is suggested.
4. For the quick reply button, "Quick" might be confusing. Need some comments about this. I suggest a simple "Reply" would be nice.
5. I suggest a font text color the same as the background color.
6. HTTP links and other links may be confusing. I believe this will be fixed when the theme is ready.
7. I liked how the blood mixes with the blackness defines Dark Arts.
8. I suggest changing the color of the monitor besides "The Helper" at the top to red.
9. :(, there's no easter eggs!!!

Overall, I'm impressed. I hope there's more to come.

EDIT:
Also, I bumped into a weird bug. Otherwise, I think it's me.
72859039kq1.png

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It's hard to tell if any posts are new or not. I hope you're not going to change the default into anything like Unreal. I like this skin, and I tried to mimic it in forums I've made. It's a good skin.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The default skin, the one you see here, will always be the DEFAULT for these forums. Any other skins that we might have will always be OPTIONAL.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The new theme isn't too bad, but it has obvious flaws, namely the rep bars and the smilies.
The only other real problem (in my eyes) is that the navigation bar on the side looks somewhat... cheaper, like I'm visiting a site that sticks google ads everywhere.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, those 5 text ads on the sidebar that pay for the server are such an annoyance.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If you download and use thehelper firefox extension you can customize the sidebar how you like.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.