Discussion free music

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
free music .

This is rather intresting for all . It is not really bout free music in the sense of downloading stuff for free .. It deals about how bands can do stuff on their own using the internet !

Venerable British rock outfit Marillion this week made it into the UK Top Ten for the first time in more than 17 years.

So how did did Marillion hit number seven? Ironically, by employing the same tactics as the majors, with a little help from their friends. First, they invited hard-core fans to buy their next album a year in advance. Despite selling at what was an inflated price by anyone's standards, the band shifted 13,000 copies. This gave Marillion a marketing war chest which it has used to pay for advertising and PR for the new single, plus promoters and pluggers to ensure maximum airplay. In fact: just like a real record company.

I love this ! This totally proves my point that i made 2 years ago that Bands do not need big swanky @ss record companies ..

Record companies fail to see how their future is gonna look like while yet it is super clear and outlined .. The record companies ignore the results of research that say that downloading is not so bad at all . However this is not the place to discuss the cons and pro's bout downloading music ..

Let's concentrate on bands that where kicked out by the majors for not selling enuff .. not enuff overhead bla bla ..

Check this out .
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/28/marillion_comeback/

I thought they where totally dead and gone after they where kicked out by their record company ..

http://www.marillion.com/
I am not a big fan of them (yeah yeah totally slayer fan) but bands who fight back like this ..
For those about to rock i salute you !

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
20 years old and the links still work - a Wargasm post too - for absolute great justice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.