Front Page News change what do you think?

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
I dont really like the idea of funny picture on news stories.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
That's a good addition to the front page. I especially like the pictures that look like motifake's. Some are huge though, can you put them in spoilers on the front page so that if we want to see them, we can, and if not we can simply read the article?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Pretty cool. It's related to the article, and adds humor. It's fun =D
But yes, some do stretch the page and might bother some users.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't really like it.

They're too big and I think it'd be better if it showed only in the forum, not the front page.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Who ever goes to the front page? They fit my screen perfect. What kind of monitors are you guys using?

esb

Reaction score
The cat seems to be the one stretching the page.
1024x768 is my resolution.

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
Many distract from the seriousness of some of these issues.

Rofl. :thup:

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
>What kind of monitors are you guys using?
A small one, 800x600 pixels. The pictures are massive on my screen, it's quite annoying.

>Who ever goes to the front page?
The only way I ever come to this site is via the front page.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Who ever goes to the front page? They fit my screen perfect. What kind of monitors are you guys using?

I never do, but if a new user comes via the front page (which will never happen) they might get the wrong impression.

It doesn't stretch my screen, but it's still massive. :p

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I like it, fits my screen fine. You people need an upgrade. >.>
Maybe upload to PB and post, it should auto-resize to 8x6.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Maybe thumbnail the pictures, they get annoying. Other than that, looks great. :)

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't understand all this talk of "I never look at the front page" or "I have never been to the front page."

How is that possible?

esb

Reaction score
Also, bookmarks!

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
The only way I ever come to this site is via the front page.

Ditto. This is the only place I get my news. Everyone wonders were I get the weird stuff from. :p

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Many distract from the seriousness of some of these issues.

"Distract" is not exactly the word. Most people look at the picture and forget the rest entirely. More so if the image has no relation whatsoever to the content...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

Hello there. I have a computer with a screen resolution of 300x400, believe it or not, I still have Windows 98.

Right now, my laptop is 1200x800, distorting the pictures like flat people.

Flat pancakes becomes flatter pancakes, but fatter. The grenades looked like walnuts to me. The kitten looks like a pile of wool clothing. The Nazis look like Americans without hair. I don't know, but it's a distracting illusion from my monitor. Keep laughing...I ain't going to stop you.

"Distract" is not exactly the word. Most people look at the picture and forget the rest entirely. More so if the image has no relation whatsoever to the content...

You should also add the fact that images with no correlation with the news article, can sometimes be disappointing in terms of humor. Care to follow?

A picture of a 40-lbs box of rape has no correlations to a guy who slaughters a woman and puts it in a box wrapped with transparent tape. Should you laugh, or should you consider that as something serious? Don't ask, don't tell.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
what do you think?
Remove these pictures. :mad:

There are a lot of issues with them:
  • they're unrelated to the content. What's more important: the content or some "funny" picture? Put them into your "funny pictures" thread" and not on the main page of a site, so people who don't like them aren't forced to see them.
  • they're huge: pictures should not make up to 3/4 of an article. That's sensationalism at it's best (if the pictures were related to the article). Having to scroll to skip a picture that makes up half of the screen isn't usable at all.
  • the main page is 1.06MB is size. Don't you think that's a way too much? It'll take quite some time to load that page for non broadband users.
  • the pictures a hosted on freehoster. They'll eventually all be broken. Spare everyone's bandwidth and disk space by not adding such bloat.
  • good point: at least they're not animated. :rolleyes:
If ou want some decoration, sonsider 100x60 eyecatches at best. The goal of the homepage should be to make people visit your site, not drive them away. :nuts:

Reaction score
It would be great if the pictures:

1. Looked like they belonged (currently they seem to be wedged into the layout).
  2. Weren't so large, (spatially and in file size).
  3. Were all related to the content.
  4. Were used sparingly (not a picture to each article).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.