Frost Nova

Leazy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm making a Frost Nova spell. It is suppose to play some fancy special effect (breath of frost forming a circle) & cast a custom entagling roots spell on the units freezed. Here is my trigger:

Trigger:
  • Frost Nova
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Nova (Mage)
    • Actions
      • Set Unit[1] = (Triggering unit)
      • -------- Effect --------
      • Set General_Point[1] = (Position of Unit[1])
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 18, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set General_Point[2] = (General_Point[1] offset by 50.00 towards (20.00 x (Real((Integer A)))) degrees)
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Unit[1]) at General_Point[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Effect) to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Dreadlord - Carrion Swarm General_Point[2]
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[2])
      • -------- Freeze & DMG --------
      • Set General_Unitgroup[1] = (Units within 650.00 of General_Point[1] matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in General_Unitgroup[1] and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • -------- DMG --------
          • Set Real[1] = (SpellDMG[(Player number of (Owner of Unit[1]))] / 3.00)
          • Set Real[2] = (30.00 + Real[1])
          • Unit - Cause Unit[1] to damage (Picked unit), dealing Real[2] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • -------- Freeze --------
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Unit[1]) at General_Point[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Immobilizing) to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[1])

Everything works fine, apart from the freezing. Entagling roots isn't casted =/ I can't figure out why :S

I'll post a demo map featuring the entagling roots dummy spell.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Try the following:

1) Check if the dummy unit is actually created.
--Try giving it a model first.

2) Check if the dummy unit can actually cast the spell.
--Remove the Locust ability (temporarily, of course).
--Try casting the spell with the dummy to an enemy.
--Also check the spell's "Targets - " field

3) Check if the trigger actually runs.
--Before the "Unit - Order unit to cast..." put this:

Code:
Game - Show message to (All Players) for X seconds showing: Clear!

(sorry, got no time to download and check it)

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
...well does the dummy unit got mana, or do the spell cost mana?...

Leazy

Reaction score
The dummy got mana etc, but it's really weird. I actually got the frost nova to freeze one single guy once, but that have never happened again.

Dummy is created.
Spell cost 0 mana, and dummy got 99999
Spell cast range is 999999
Trigger runs, because everything else happens.

mordocai

Reaction score
maybe its the spell cooldown? i cant dl since i have no editor on this comp but im just taking a wild guess

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
I think that neutral hostile doesn't count as an enemy of a player, so if you are trying to cast the spell on creeps, your unit group is only picking enemies, and not neutrals. Try changing:
belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))
to
belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to False))).

Also, you aren't removing your dummies. Do they have health degen that kills them, or what?

Leazy

Reaction score
I remove dummies with another trigger that removes them when they have finished casting a spell.

Dummy spell has 0 CD.

The buff is unknown just because of the test map, yes. :)

New trigger:
Code:
Frost Nova
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Nova (Mage)
    Actions
        Set Unit[1] = (Triggering unit)
        -------- Effect --------
        Set General_Point[1] = (Position of Unit[1])
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at General_Point[1] using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 18, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set General_Point[2] = (General_Point[1] offset by 50.00 towards (20.00 x (Real((Integer A)))) degrees)
                Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Unit[1]) at General_Point[1] facing Default building facing degrees
                Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Effect) to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Dreadlord - Carrion Swarm General_Point[2]
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[2])
        -------- Freeze & DMG --------
       [COLOR="Red"]Set General_Unitgroup[1] = (Units within 650.00 of General_Point[1] matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to False)))[/COLOR]
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in General_Unitgroup[1] and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                -------- DMG --------
                Set Real[1] = (SpellDMG[(Player number of (Owner of Unit[1]))] / 3.00)
                Set Real[2] = (30.00 + Real[1])
                Unit - Cause Unit[1] to damage (Picked unit), dealing Real[2] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                -------- Freeze --------
                Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Unit[1]) at General_Point[1] facing Default building facing degrees
                Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Immobilizing) to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[1])

Still doesn't work =\ What on earth can be wrong?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
1. I thought it was always better to use "Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability"?
[del]2. The color tags don't work in WC3 tags, might want to remove those to prevent confusion.[/del]
3. Where does "SpellDMG" come from?
4. What are you adding to the dummy at the end? / Does the dummy have all the spells required to complete this already on him?

EDIT:
Code:
Set General_Unitgroup[1] = (Units within 650.00 of General_Point[1] matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to False)))
Maybe try changing this:
Code:
(((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to False)
To:
Code:
(((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to True)
?

Leazy

Reaction score
1. I thought it was always better to use "Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability"?
[del]2. The color tags don't work in WC3 tags, might want to remove those to prevent confusion.[/del]
3. Where does "SpellDMG" come from?
4. What are you adding to the dummy at the end? / Does the dummy have all the spells required to complete this already on him?

1: Yes, thats true. It's an old habit, because the most of my spells require to have that event for them to work properly.

3: Spell DMG is obtained from items, isn't the problem though since everything works except from the immobilizing.

4: I'm addind a ability based on Keeper of the Grove's ''Entagling Roots'', which has 0 CD, 0 Mana cost, no requirements, 9999999 cast range, 0 casting time, is a unit ability, has a buff. I know that this dummy spell works, because I tried to add the dummy spell to a normal unit, and then I could cast it with the wished effect (immobilizing the target unit for 8 sec).

Leazy

Reaction score
Maybe try changing this:
Code:
(((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to False)
To:
Code:
(((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to True)
?

I had it like that before, and it didn't work, a guy here told me to change that, didn't work after I changed it either though.

Edit: Damn, was going to copy this into my first post... sry for double post =/

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I've had problems with Entangling Roots before too. You'd be better off using a different base ability, like storm bolt.

Anteo

Reaction score
I remove dummies with another trigger that removes them when they have finished casting a spell.

Dummy spell has 0 CD.

The buff is unknown just because of the test map, yes. :)

New trigger:
Code:
Frost Nova
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Nova (Mage)
    Actions
        Set Unit[1] = (Triggering unit)
        -------- Effect --------
        Set General_Point[1] = (Position of Unit[1])
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at General_Point[1] using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 18, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set General_Point[2] = (General_Point[1] offset by 50.00 towards (20.00 x (Real((Integer A)))) degrees)
                Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Effect) to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Dreadlord - Carrion Swarm General_Point[2]
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[2])
        -------- Freeze & DMG --------
       Set General_Unitgroup[1] = (Units within 650.00 of General_Point[1] matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of Unit[1])) Equal to False)))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in General_Unitgroup[1] and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                -------- DMG --------
                Set Real[1] = (SpellDMG[(Player number of (Owner of Unit[1]))] / 3.00)
                Set Real[2] = (30.00 + Real[1])
                Unit - Cause Unit[1] to damage (Picked unit), dealing Real[2] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                -------- Freeze --------
                Unit - Add [Dummy] Frost Nova (Immobilizing) to (Last created unit)
              [COLOR="Blue"]  Unit - Set level of Frost Nova for (last created Unit) to 1[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]<<<<<< yeah.. this???[/COLOR]

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_General_Point[1])

Still doesn't work =\ What on earth can be wrong?

Dont you need to set the lvl of the ability..

Leazy

Reaction score
No, because the spell only have one level, and even if I did, the immobilize would still happen, just a lower lvl one.

Leazy

Reaction score
I changed: Text - Order String - Use/Turn On to: entagleininstant didn't help though :O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.