Full NUON Specs

S

ShaggysNUON

Does anyone have the full specifications of the NUON console? I mean total RAM, max resolution, etc. I was always frustrated by the fact that those things couldn't be revealed and I'm just curious to know what they are. Do they vary greatly depending on the chip (i.e. between Aries 1 2 and 3? I know the Aries 3 has a faster clock speed but I wouldn't know if there is a difference in things such as memory or bandwidth speeds).

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
You mean total possible RAM? I don't know that. The shipping systems have 16MB split into 8MB of system ram (C code) and 8MB of main ram (for frame buffers).

Resolution is limited by the TV spec. You could make an insanely big frame buffer if you wanted to, but have no way to display all of it at once. I am not aware of any video out to a monitor.

Bandwidths are the same between the chips. The busses run at 54MHz even if the Aries 3 core is at the faster 108MHz.

This is all from a rather fuzzy memory, mind.

S

ShaggysNUON

Thanks, that is helpful. I wasn't sure if the NUON came with just 16MB of RAM or 32MB as there were many rumors on the net back in the day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.