WIP Galaxy Risk!

Tythoid

Reaction score
(Updated)
The alpha/ early beta for the map is finally finished its been alot of work but compared to my last risk map pretty easy despite the added complexity especially the triggering which has evolved from about a hundred plus triggers in the last game to about 15.

What is a risk?
Risk was orginially a board game created by hasbro where you and your opponents play as opposing factions and fight over the world for territories. Mr_peacecraft was the first person to make a playable and fun risk for warcraft three and its testamont to how good his map was that it has been copied or updated by so many people. The risk map that for me was the best risk ever was wow risk by Mai as he came up with the idea of using a large range of unit types varied ones for each territory and creating inspiring terrain that added far more complexity to the game.

Overview

Introduction
In its current state Galaxy Risk is a map 60+ planets each planet a rough circle of terrain with a varied amount of space (abyss tile) Around it. On each of these planets is between 3 and 6 capture points (circles of power) each corrisponding to a building where you can build units. Each planet is enclosed by impassible meaning you cant move from planet to planet through the space in between instead on each planet is a waygate leading to a planet representation of it in space.​

Spaceships​
The planet once you have all the capture points on your planet becomes yours and is where you create your ships to transport your armies or ships to fight your enemies fleets. I wanted my map to stay very army orientated instead of them being overshadowed by the space ships so ships (excluding the bomber) can only attack ships and so the importance of the ships is more around moving armies around the terrain on
planets and controlling air space to halt invasions.​

Armies​
In alot of risk games as the game approches the end it turns into unit swarming contest and wholely a numbers game. To counter this in my risk ive added a very futuristic balanced rock paper scissors element such as that in castle fight and some other features to take away any facerolling fights.​
Weapon type;
Anti personnel: 150% damage to Civilian armour 50% to Adamantium plate
Laser: 150% damage to military armour 50% to Robotic
Plasma: 150% to adamantium plate 50% to Military armour
Ionic: 150% damage to Robotic 50% to Civilian armour

So knowing what to build to fight what

And then four unit classes;
Defensive: low damage, highest armour and health
Aggressive: highest damage, normal health, normal armour
Fast: low damage, normal health, normal armour, fast attack speed
Trained: A mixture of all three, faster speed, greater health and damage but not to the exstent of any of the others

Unit costs, Each units cost increases its base values then plus its class modifiers the cost brackets are:
1m
2m
3m
4m 1c
5m 2c m for metal c for crystal
The combat system is balanced by maths. If a 1M defensive 150hp 10dmg 1aps fights a 1M beserk 100hp 15dmg 1aps or a 1M fast 100hp 10dmg 1.5aps the fights going to be very close but on large scale fights by microing your armies such as having the defensives take the damage and the aggressives focus on thier weaker units. This plus the armour system should make for some complex fighting.

Game modes
The game has three game modes, FFA Teams of 2 and Multiteam where you can make complex alliances involving whoever and as many people as you want. And at the start of the game you can pick the income options either low, medium or high.

Updates in the future
-a loading code system for your score, impress your rivals.

-increased complexity in the terrain of the planets, each planet will be redesigned to incorporate elements that improve tactical complexity and asthetics.-maybe some imports for the spaceships depending on size but for now FPS > Asthetics this is a tough one as risks generally have a high amount of units in each game its usually important to have low size models.

{Implemented} -Galactic emperor abilities such as army perks eg increased speed, regeneration or more devestating weapons such as virus bombs or nuclear weapons these will be unlockable with the loading codes (so ymu must have played more then one game) and cost massive amounts of gold.

-More planets these planets will be very large fortress planets roughly 8 times the size of the other planets with 12 capture zones on each, multiple spaceports and enviromental events these planets will be for the end of the game as each player will be given a capture point on each around 30minutes into the game at the start the planet will be unaccessable from space in the early stages of the on planet fighting. Holding one of these planets will give players large amounts of income and a unique unit

Attachments

• planet surface.JPG
    planet surface.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 442
  • Galaxy planets view.JPG
    Galaxy planets view.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 390
  • Galaxy Risk overview.JPG
    Galaxy Risk overview.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Galaxy Risk 1.2-protected.w3x
    430.8 KB · Views: 283

Tythoid

Reaction score
-Bump- plus a update to the maps status (see first post)
My new combat system
Risks you will know if youve played them are gold based. Take Risk devolution for example, there are a few units rifles, knights and captains ect and boats but if you look at thier stats you will see thier all based off the same generic template eg same armour and attack type but if they cost more better stats.

This means if you spent more on your army it will win. So in risks the person with the most gold will win and so skill really can take a back seat. If your playing and you have less gold then your opponent theres nothing really you can do this is what leads most risks to be called skill-less or noob games

This system isn't true for other other games. The actual melee game we play less and less because we have brilliant custom games to play is a game of skill and tactics. If you buy the most expensive units such as mountain giants for instance, frost wryms knights or taurens your not garenteed to win even if you have more gold to spend a army of bears or footmen could beat MG's a army of shamans ,witchdoctors and grunts could beat taurens and knights and for frost wryms hypogryphs, dryads, shamans and gryphons will all beat them. So its not about cost or higher damage and health but more crucial armour and weapon type.

In my system ive made the four armour types:
civilian wear
military wear
cast adamantium
robotic

And four weapon types:
plasma
lazer
anti personnel
ionic

And each of these follows a rock paper scissors approach civilian wear for instance takes 150% damage from anti personnel but only 50% from ionic and from the rest 100%. There are no expensive armour or weapon types in this system so cost will not be a great factor besides being able to buy units with more damage and health the right combination of units will be able to beat them.

To make things more interesting there is also different unit attack types such as defensive, beserk, fast, trained which effects how much health, dps and attack speed plus classes based on cost; Low, medium, great, high, special and plus the armour and weapon types a 120 different stats combinations.. which is why im not yet done :thup:

Tythoid

Reaction score
Bump -plus a staus report-
  • Work finished on the teleporters (waygates) connecting planet to surface
  • Loading code where you can load a tally of your past victories
  • condensed and created a brand new capture code
  • mini table made
  • quest log added

This list is to show im actually doing some work to anyone interested, not including the units im making which are a pain as im trying link each unit to its building and using the warcraft 3 models to try represent futuristic units which means almost every unit has atleast one attachment:thup:.

Plus here is a attached image of planet [8](1)

Attachments

• 8 1.JPG
    8 1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 333

Tythoid

Reaction score
-Bump plus update-
26 combat units added, 12 capture points completed

One whole planet finished, units, triggers and income. Several other planets are fully finished with units its just adding triggers and income that still needs doing. But its great feeling completing a planet. In a galaxy of unplayable worlds there is one world that is the finished article.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Looks good; but any other benifiets for save code? People want reward for playing the game - not just some special effects.

Maybe some 'secret' researches that allow new ships. Maybe you get a starting advantage.

Tythoid

Reaction score
Looks good; but any other benifiets for save code? People want reward for playing the game - not just some special effects.

Maybe some 'secret' researches that allow new ships. Maybe you get a starting advantage.

The save code unlocks a emperor and the emperor can then buy none game altering items. I didnt really want pros to get a greater advantage then being pros but these are ideas im thinking of implimenrting to make emperors more useful:
  • A mini paint ball game in map that can be played by losers that have emperor (so if host loses he doesnt leave:thup:)
  • Items that can be bought that give all units a buff such as +20% attack power (these would be very expensive, I had these in my last risk and they worked well)
  • in a Fog of war mode emperors will be given a true sight aoe none wnners will get a true sight aoe but the cd will be longer

All this however will be host implimented so the game can be still be fair if the host wants but then perhaps emperor only games can be played by pros with all the extra implimented gameplay.

Nogusta

Reaction score
Hey Thythoid, cool work! We're both making space diplomacy type maps! Only mine is 4 years old and still not finished haha. I was wondering, how are you going to keep the file size down with all the imported ships and why use dark void tile when you can import a better looking space tile?

Tythoid

Reaction score
-bump- heres what Ive been up to, perfecting the loading code.
Heres how it works, You win you type -save the trigger then takes your name takes the first 6 letters, makes each into a corrisponding number. Adds them together times it by (number of wins plus a hidden calculation) then makes you a code such as
-LOAD 03 67843
You type this in the second trigger takes you name and your wins aka 03 and makes a number. If it matches you wins become your ingame wins and if you win again you get better code.

Not the most exciting post but progress is progress and im quite proud of this loading system.

Tythoid

Reaction score
Hey Thythoid, cool work! We're both making space diplomacy type maps! Only mine is 4 years old and still not finished haha. I was wondering, how are you going to keep the file size down with all the imported ships and why use dark void tile when you can import a better looking space tile?

How am I going to keep file size down is simple. First of all I wont be using imported models instead I will be "building" ships using attachments and dummy units to create ships such the deathstar

Second Im using dark abyss at the moment because my space section is full of planets, stars and random effects. I may improve the appearance in the future but with import you have to weight up the pros and cons of increasing loading time such as how many people will be prepared to wait those 10-30 seconds longer?

solar conquest much?
Never played it, I am making a space risk but that doesn't mean im a huge space games fan most of which ive played are too big and besides lots of attachments the gameplay is pretty boring really Im just a huge risk fan a genre which has more potential then currently reckonised

Tythoid

Reaction score
Anti personnel is bullets , swords, fists anything in physical projectile form. Good to see you ghostwind btw and once again I appologise for being rude to you earlier:thup:

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
Seems Interesting.. Although this genre is established already, saw really neat maps out there but aren't hosted often.

Tythoid

Reaction score
-Bump- Galaxy Risk has recently been updating quite slowly this is because Ive been having exams and will continue to have exams until wednesday after which I will be working at a speed of 1 planet a day.

So far ive finished my first system and im onto my second. About halfway speed will pick up because atm most planets i make I have to make all brand new units for each but halfway through I will have enough units about (currently on 60 not counting planets, buildings on planets or space ships) 200 being the goal to make all the rest of the planets with just these.

Tythoid

Reaction score
-Bump- UI
Exams done i got back into the map and ivebeen working on new races including a purple skinned hunter race and sci fi zombies. I was instructed by a few people to play some other space games for wc3 so I did and what inspired me most was a map with a custom UI so may current update is to create my own. Before posting this ive already drawn drafts and read tutorials and begun crafting my own space/ogame inspired UI.
-Thoughts? what I would be most interested in is:
  • How do you rate maps with custom UIs?
  • Would you play a map with a custom UI for the feeling it creates?
  • Any serious problems with UIs; lag, ect?

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
I think map with UIS are bad as they take space and most of them to me aren't cool

No.

Nothing.

I prefer wc3 UI unless you make something that is really amazing.

Tythoid

Reaction score
I think map with UIS are bad as they take space and most of them to me aren't cool

No.

Nothing.

I prefer wc3 UI unless you make something that is really amazing.

Ill post it here then when its done for your scrutiny :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.