gamecache & multiplayer

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just been wandering through the topics here covering the gamecache and its use in multiplayer maps. One point still has me confused though - when a piece of data is stored in the gamecache in a multiplayer game, on whose computer is the data stored ? Is there an implication that it will save the data to a gamecache on all player's computers?

And likewise, when is comes to retrieving data from a gamecache, from whose computer does it get the data from ?

Do the "SyncStored" functions comes into play here at all? e.g. do you have to use say "SyncStoredBoolean" to sync a bool value across all gamecaches before you can retrieve it again ?

Ta.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Triggers run on all comps in the game.
As such, a cache is also created on all comps in the game.

"Sync"ing anything is not needed.
The only use for that I've ever seen is the script that tries to guess the host.
The player that replies the fastest is most likely the host.
Other than that, there's nothing to worry.

Note though that actually saving the cache to disk does not work in multi-player.

Besides, you should be using NewGen and structs, with an attachment system that goes along with it... :p

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I wasn't actually planning to use gamecaches, I was just doing some reading about Newgen and structs etc. when I came across some gamecache discussion.

When I get curious about something, it will usually nag at me until I can get the answer : - )

Actually, while I'm here, perhaps you can help me with my specific problem.

This is an action in GUI (yes it leaks, but this is only an example):

Set someUnitGroup = (Units within 1000.00 of (Position of someUnit) matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of someOtherUnit)) == True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) == True)))

which looks like this in JASS (after a small amount of cleaning):

JASS:
function IsUnitEnemy takes nothing returns boolean
    return ( IsUnitEnemy(GetFilterUnit(), GetOwningPlayer(udg_someOtherUnit)) == true )
endfunction

function IsUnitAlive takes nothing returns boolean
    return ( IsUnitAliveBJ(GetFilterUnit()) == true )
endfunction

function IsUnitMatching takes nothing returns boolean
    return GetBooleanAnd( IsUnitEnemy (), IsUnitAlive () )
endfunction

function Trig_someTrigger_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    set udg_TempUnitGroup = GetUnitsInRangeOfLocMatching(1000.00, GetUnitLoc(udg_someUnit), Condition(function IsUnitMatching ))
endfunction

My problem is that, in the function IsUnitEnemy(), I want "udg_someOtherUnit" to be a local not a global. I want this local to be declared in "Trig_someTrigger_Actions" and passed in to the function as a parameter.

e.g.

JASS:
function IsUnitEnemy takes unit someOtherUnit returns boolean
    return ( IsUnitEnemy(GetFilterUnit(), GetOwningPlayer(someOtherUnit)) == true )
endfunction

function IsUnitAlive takes nothing returns boolean
    return ( IsUnitAliveBJ(GetFilterUnit()) == true )
endfunction

function IsUnitMatching takes unit someOtherUnit returns boolean
    return GetBooleanAnd( IsUnitEnemy (someOtherUnit), IsUnitAlive () )
endfunction

function Trig_someTrigger_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit someUnit = <getsomeunit>
    set udg_TempUnitGroup = GetUnitsInRangeOfLocMatching(1000.00, GetUnitLoc(udg_someUnit), Condition(function IsUnitMatching(someUnit)))
endfunction

The problem with this code is that "Condition(function IsUnitMatching(someUnit))" is not correct JASS, you cannot pass in parameters this way.

Is there a workaround solution to solve the problem here ?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
All in one:
return IsUnitEnemy(GetFilterUnit(), GetOwningPlayer(someOtherUnit)) == true and IsUnitAliveBJ(GetFilterUnit()) == true

Then find out what that "bj" is doing, and replace it :p

Well, use a global variable...
set variable = ...
set group = GetUnits...

Those two lines, assuming you put no wait there, are uninterruptible.

If you don't want to create some, use bj_lastCreatedUnit, or the "ghouls" array.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, I've dumped the idea of using a local and am using a global now.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL

does anything get by you ?

I'm doing it when I've got a spare moment, pretty much seeing where the flow takes me. That's not to say I'm just throwing "whatever" into it, if I'm working on it then I take it seriously. But these things are very time consuming unfortunately.....and I ain't got a lot of that anymore........

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.