Tutorial Games in World Editor

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
A detailed tutorial on how beginners should go about making games:

=====

GETTING STARTED:

You won't need the World Editor open yet, but leave it open if you want.

A game is an activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games, Warcraft itself is a game.
Game Making programs (such as WE, aren't games, they're more Utilities).

If you're going to make a game, there are a number of things you need to think:

~Is it fun?
~Is it original?
~Is it gonna be popular?
~Will people wanna play i?
~Will you be able to make it?
~Will you be able to get help if you get stuck?

For starters, you should plan the game out (preferrably draw scraps on paper, and note things down on the computer), If you just have an idea and are away and want to make it on WE, write it down and keep it.

If you don't jot down an idea, you'll open the World Editor unknowing of what to do.

I this tutorial, we're going to make a simple game in the World Editor, the objective of this tutorial is to build your knowledge of what it takes to make a map using the World Editor, how easy or hard it is, how long it takes, and what experience you might need.

=====

PREPERATION:

To start you off with making maps, we're going to start with the most simple map I can think of at the moment.. Maze maps :p.

Select File>New Map (ctrl +N) and set these as your map properties (tileset is optional):

one5dp.jpg

Now you should have a fairly small square (it's small only because it's quicker and easier for beginners, not because I'm lazy :p).
Now, you should design your maze path, this can be done here and now beings its so easy:

two0fh.jpg

Looks a bit easy huh? Now we're going to move onto an important part of mapping in general (you will definately need these if you're map isn't melee).

Now, click the Region Pallette button, shown here:

three7rj.jpg

When you select it, you'll see a button and a huge white feild.

The button is to switch between creating/viewing regions on the map, make sure it's highlighted green so that you can create the regions, then create them around the paths, find ways to make a less as needed:

four3jn.jpg

WHY REGIONS ARE SO IMPORTANT:

Regions are the control of a custom map, it can:

~Make units in an area do something.
~Make something happen to units in an area.
~Make units move to areas.
~Cast special effects at an area.
~Move camera to an area.
~Teleport units from 1 area to another.
~And so much more :D.

Anyway, what we're going to do with THESE regions so far is make a trigger so that when the player touches the region, it dies (yay =P!).

But first, you much make sure users have a player to control, so follow these instructions:

* select the region pallette and change to unit pallette.
* choose a hero (any hero, but a hero, most popular in a maze map is the Demon Hunter).
* place the hero for player 1, then switch to player 2 and place the hero (keep doing this until you have one for each player you're planning on having (I normally have 11 players, 12 is unuitable, I will explain why soon)).

Now you have units to use in the trigger, let's make the trigger, at the top of the Map Editor, there's a few icons, one's a highlighted mountain, next to it is a golden a, click it to open the trigger editor.
Now delete the trigger (and folder) that says 'Map Initialization', create a new trigger and follow this screenshot:

five9hn.jpg

Trigger Translation:

tans16jt.jpg

Change 'Demon Hunter' in the condition, to the hero you chose. And in the events, you've got to do the same event for all those regions.

Now when you test, the demon hunters start attacking each other, we'll fix that later, also we'll make the whole map visible (optional).

Once you're ready to move on.. move on :D.

---

PATROLS

This is an easy bit and makes the maze more fun, go to the unit pallette and select the player that comes after the last player you chose (if you have 3 players, then p4, if 6 players, then p7 etc).

Now choose any random units and place them on or off the path, you need to know where you want them to patrol to. Once you've placed them, it should look like this:

six5za.jpg

Now, place tiny regions (dots basically) where you want each unit to patrol to, once done that, the region vision should look like blue outlines and dots all over the map :D.

Now, open the trigger editor again, create another trigger, this time to look like this:

seven9ao.jpg

Trigger Translation:

tans27nb.jpg

You will again have to repeat the action for every unit and every patrol region.

DON'T put the patrol regions into the trigger that kills the hero or tey have a chance of being illed whilst on the path, this will piss anyone who plays the game off.

VICTORY CODE:

This bit will probably be the easiest and quickest part, make a region around the square at the end of the maze (like on mine) to represent the exit.

Now copy this trigger on the trigger editor:

eight8qx.jpg

Trigger Translation:

tans36ni.jpg

That's the easiest bit cleared up, now when you test, you still get attacked and fog of war is still on, but you die when you go off the path and the units patrol to their regions.
Now you might say: "omg.. the creeps don't kill me!" (actually, they'll also attack you but they don't kill you upon collision), so we're about to do that bit now:

nine4vj.jpg

Trigger Translation:

tans45ln.jpg

---

SETTING THE LEVEL UP:

This trigger will remove fog of war and anything else you might want to do (this trigger only contains removing fog of war, you might want to play a certain bg music or show text on how to play etc), to save space, we're going to add the action(s) into the 2nd trigger we made:

ten1ok.jpg

Trigger Translation:

tans54fk.jpg

---

EXTRA STUFF:

Select Scenario>Player Properties and we'll begin by enabling the players and the creeps:

eleven5qw.jpg

I've got 9 players, so they are USER controlled, and player 10 are the creeps and thus COMPUTER controlled.

Click the tab that says Forces and get it to look like this:

twelve2jz.jpg

Force 1 has all the players, it is important that theyre allied or else they'll attack each other, in Force 2 is the enemy, the creeps, they'll still attack you but here's how you sort that out:

On the map editor, where the mountain and the golden a is, there's also a helmet-like button, click that to enter the Object Editor.
From here you can select the units and edit them, you want to go to any creeps and change this part:

thirteen3za.jpg

change it so that it says 'None' or 'Neither', that way it can't attack you, only patrol.

Also, change this part:

fourteen3sr.jpg

the orange highlight is optional but the top (green) highlight should be changed, browse it for an ability that says "Invunerable (Neutral)" that way, you won't wonder off the path to attack them.

Now when you save and test, it should all work fine, congratulations :D!

FOR MORE DETAILS ON MAKING MAZES, SEE MY OTHER TUTORIAL

That concludes the tutorial :)!

---

Wow! 4 hours of my day went into making this tutorial.. my eyes hurt >.<!

Enjoy the tutorial.

~Jindo

Rabarber

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Good tutorial. :) I thought you could make a trigger to check if a unit enters a specific terrain, and you can, but regions is a way too. :)

Mullit

Reaction score
you can just use a periodic check to see if a unit is on a certain terrain and then kill it. this would be a lot quicker if you made a big maze.

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Yes, please remove the locs and stick in a periodic trigger :)

Code:
~Is it fun?
[B]~Is it original?[/B]
~Is it gonna be popular?
~Will people wanna play i?
~Will you be able to make it?
~Will you be able to get help if you get stuck?
:rolleyes:

Nice maze tutorial :D, I like it.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
i think it is a good tutorial, but unfortunately most of the people who are just starting to make maps are guys, and not only that, but they are geeky guys (myself included). There aren't going to be very many who come looking for a tutorial on how to do the most basic WE things without tinkering around for a bit themselves.

That being said, I wish I had this tutorial back in the day, and i REALLY REALLY like your "trigger translations" +rep

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Heh I remember this, glad you like it :p.

It's revived and now I got +repped 3 times for it =P.

Sadly, you're right, most people who use the WE have already figured some parts of it out before looking at tutorials to help them.

But there's also that occasional sensible noob who looks for tuts first ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.