Sci/Tech Gaping hole found in universe

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A giant hole in the Universe is devoid of galaxies, stars and even lacks dark matter, astronomers said on Thursday.

The team at the University of Minnesota said the void is nearly a billion light-years across and they have no idea why it is there.

"Not only has no one ever found a void this big, but we never even expected to find one this size," said astronomy professor Lawrence Rudnick.

Read the news here.

Last edited:

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to rent that galaxy that was there! Now what am I going to do? I hate it when celetial bodies disappear.
What IS the universe coming to? :p

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Could it be a black hole?

I suppose that's possible. But we would most likely see evidence of the black hole in the form of bent space and the affect it would have on the stuff around it. And, that seems huge for a black hole's radius of effect.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I suppose.

However, Universe is full of mysterious anomalies, and, we even haven't scratched the surface.

Asehujiko

Reaction score
Scary thought. If it's in our sensor range, we are in it's gravity range.

Black holes that ate half a lightyear of energy are evil enough, let alone one that devoured BILLIONS of it.

J

jimothy

but maybe there was a black hole there but isn't anymore... i'm not sure how...

Tonks

Reaction score
It's probably some like, huge stealth space craft. We can't see it, but it takes up space and causes a "hole" without gases. :p

L

Lime

I don't think it would be an active black hole, as dark matter is detected by gravitational pull, as are black holes. If there was a black hole, we'd be able to see the gravitational effects, and ungodly amounts of gamma and X radiation. Maybe a filled black hole (not sure if that is possible), but even then, there would probably be some residual radiation, right?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Maybe a filled black hole

Filled? :p

I doubt it.
The more mass you have, the greater the gravatational pull, no?

L

Lime

>The more mass you have, the greater the gravatational pull, no?

Maybe, thats why I wasn't really sure if it was possible.
That just lends to the idea that it wasn't a black hole, though.
But most astro-physicists agree that a black hole has zero volume for all of its mass, making its gravitational pull infinite, and as such more matter wouldn't affect anything.

I think the way I came to that idea was by thinking of a black hole as a vacuum which needs to be filled, even though I know that isn't how a black hole works.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> But most astro-physicists agree that a black hole has zero volume for all of its mass, making its gravitational pull infinite, and as such more matter wouldn't affect anything.

Then it couldn't get 'filled' either. :p

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I think theres 4 likely things.
1. There once was a super massive black hole, but now it burned it self out some how.
2. Some giant space ship or maybe a planet, maybe some space/time/dimension warp that makes it blank there.
3. Some new type of black hole or something.
4. (Supports Time Mirror Theory) Its showing us basically the "beginning" of the universe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.