Gathering ideas for laptop replacement...

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Yes, I am jumping into the "I want new laptop" bandwagon.

REQUIRED:
- Mobility: < 5lb.
- Screen size: 10"+.
- Battery life: 7 hours with removable, 11 hours non-removable. I charge my battery every 2 days, and I push the battery to the limit.
- Power: No Intel Atom, or Celeron. Got one already.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi.
- $1500 max.
- must be able to swap HDD without a hassle.
- NO HP. They are assholes.

NICE TO HAVE:
- 802.11n
- Windows 7, but open to others.
- preferred non-Intel gfx.
- 1366x768+.
- 4GB memory.
- Touch screen.
- under $1000.

Using for:
- occasional wc3, school, Eclipse, Photoshop.

So far I narrowed it down to the Asus UL30vt. Any other ones you people recommends?

Duwenbasden

Reaction score
Yes, I am trying to keep the weight down, so the 5lb is solid. :cool:

Looks like the UL30vt is the baby.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am trying to keep the weight down, so the 5lb is solid. :cool:

Looks like the UL30vt is the baby.

Indeed but before you buy, it might be worth waiting a little bit to see if the price will go down. According to the reviews it was only $800 a while back. And Amazon even says they have it for $799 but it's out of stock.

Definitely worth saving $150 unless you're not patient. :p

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Duwenbasden, the laptop you linked has a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo processor, is that acceptable? that seems very slow to me.
Shall I be so crazy to suggest a MacBook? Yes I think I will. (Doesn't match battery requirements, not sure how easy it is to swap out the HD either)

Even if you don't want Mac, that laptop you linked does not seem very good for what you pay, although maybe it is, since it has such a long lasting battery.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the processor is from intel's S series - the super-low power consuming ones, so it's not surprise that it can't stack up to other more power-hungry ones (it uses 10W max) - and i dont think macs come equipped /w this option, which is pretty much required for that battery lifespan

sqrage

Reaction score
Even if you don't want Mac, that laptop you linked does not seem very good for what you pay, although maybe it is, since it has such a long lasting battery.

I think it is well worth the $800

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Duwenbasden, the laptop you linked has a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo processor, is that acceptable? that seems very slow to me.
Shall I be so crazy to suggest a MacBook? Yes I think I will. (Doesn't match battery requirements, not sure how easy it is to swap out the HD either)

No, just no. An extra 200$ for half the ram, a worse video card and less hard drive space? Not worth it at all for the faster processor.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
the processor is from intel's S series - the super-low power consuming ones, so it's not surprise that it can't stack up to other more power-hungry ones (it uses 10W max) - and i dont think macs come equipped /w this option, which is pretty much required for that battery lifespan
Lol yeah I kind of noticed after making my post, that it was some kind of super long life laptop, but still 1.3GHz and photoshop.. would that even work?
I think it is well worth the $800
It probably is, I didn't notice it had such a long battery and those sort of power saving things until later.
No, just no. An extra 200$ for half the ram, a worse video card and less hard drive space? Not worth it at all for the faster processor.
The video card is sufficient for it's needs no? the MacBook comes to $1498 with 4GB RAM, 500GB HD + AppleCare, you'd need to buy Windows too if you wanted it lol.

Duwenbasden

Reaction score
yes, i need the battery to last that long, no exception. I stay in the lab for long hours and i don't bring my adapter for moving stuff around purpose. Don't worry about Photoshop -- works on my 1.6GHz Atom Z processor quite smoothly. :D

I also need the HDD to be swappable. I am planning on replacing it with a 32/64GB SSD for speed -- my current laptop's major bottleneck is the HDD.

My main purpose for a new laptop is to increase my comfort level when working. I am currently using a 5.6" tablet which isn't very... long hours friendly, and my main laptop's battery is shot so can't untether and expect it to last that long.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
also SSD's are more energy-efficient then normal hard drives, so longer battery life from there as well

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
yes, i need the battery to last that long, no exception. I stay in the lab for long hours and i don't bring my adapter for moving stuff around purpose. Don't worry about Photoshop -- works on my 1.6GHz Atom Z processor quite smoothly. :D

I also need the HDD to be swappable. I am planning on replacing it with a 32/64GB SSD for speed -- my current laptop's major bottleneck is the HDD.

My main purpose for a new laptop is to increase my comfort level when working. I am currently using a 5.6" tablet which isn't very... long hours friendly, and my main laptop's battery is shot so can't untether and expect it to last that long.

Ah I see, good to know about photoshop, I'd never have imagined.
I'd definitely go with an Intel X25-M G2 80GB if you can, I use the 160GB model, it's a very nice SSD.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
SSD is great. It's speed is very fast. It also consumes low energy. However, their capacity is low.

sqrage

Reaction score
SSD is great. It's speed is very fast. It also consumes low energy. However, their capacity is low.

For a laptop, that is definitely a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. Just get an external harddrive for all your not so speedy needed files, like movies and whatnot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.